High php-fpm CPU usage?

it was a bit lower.

I do have a bit higher traffic right now. 325 users and normally have about 250 users. normally my biggest resource user is mysql. It's not normal to see php-fpm like this

Dedicated server.

If the total cpu load is not very high and you have a big traffic on your forums is not that bad as it looks like to use 2 cores about from your system......

In general i do not know what hardware do you use but keep in mind that if you have for example 12 cores cpu and you are happy with 0,2 load and that's what you want so low load and super fast site most of the times is not possible.

If you put more cores on battle then you will have faster responses and don't get wrong i am not saying to use all cores but just keep a balance....

Imagine that you have a video file to process on a system with 12 cpu cores.If you use 1 core you will have very low load but the video can't be done super fast.If you use 12 cores the video will finish super fast but you will have overload your system and no resources left for other tasks and you will start getting issues.....

Balance is the way to go ^_^

It is better than other htop screenshots that you post and numbers looks acceptable....but may be not optimal

But you must keep in mind that the load average is a mix of many things.... so to say that it is good or not is not realistic at all especially without even login to the server.

Can you confirm that in your OS CPU scaling is not set? New Intel processors go in low power mode i.e. scale down CPU frequency when processing power is not required. It increases CPU frequency as per the needs. This helps to save the power and heating. 

If you see higher load at lower CPU frequency then that is perfectly normal. I normally disable CPU scaling so it always run on max frequency. 

superj707 do yourself a favour and just pay astrapi for server optimization. You can just cheeck what config he use and then read documentation on that specific setting that he changed to understand why he alter the setting value.

you learn faster that way then creating multiple threads asking why  your server is acting this and that

this is what astrapi did to my server and took me 4 hours to read up mysql documentation to completely understand what he did to improve the server.

f48d4d0408354a42ab1324dd9409e5ce.png

Thanks maidos ^_^

Also keep in mind that it was only an optimization task to your existing setup and not use my setup that will gain more impressive results ^_^

Also the results are based on a simple HDD and not SSD ^_^

It was a pleasure to work with you !

I have looked at @superj707 server.

After many optimizations, including nginx internal load balancing with multiple php-fpm pool's, the load is down between 1 and 4 at peak times(it was 17 to 20 before). For a server with 8 threads, a load of 4 is completely fine. Analyzing the logs, i discovery that when the site have a lot of members logged in(hundreds), instant notifications start using a bit of resources, and that's one of the reasons of the load rise up to 4. In this case, i don't see any reason to disable the instant notifications, the server can handle that load completely fine and the site is fast.

0ae8eb8a55424009a59074fdbf0d85ef.png

e0a6e1dba08e4c18889f491405a7587f.png

I have also tried php 7 on the server, the load decrease almost by half, but it gives some random template issues with his theme. So he needs to stick with php 5.6 for now.

Archived