control panel or no control panel, which do you prefer?

It depends on your level of experience, if you are trying to self manage a server and your not a server administrator, then using a panel would be your best solution, as there are many benefits to using one for a novice. Those being you are putting the work on the provider of the panel to ensure your software versions work together smoothly, are upgraded properly with the proper versions and dependancies and when all items in the chain of dependancies are officially supporting and working with each other etc.

If you administer servers everyday it's no big deal, but if not, it's likely something you will struggle with staying up to date on both security issues and software versions and dependancies. 

Either way you go, if your not a server admin, you shouldn't be playing one though, the reason there are so many compromised servers on the web is due directly to everyone thinking they can be a server admin and setup their server, then leave it in a weak security state by not updating it properly or incorrectly. 

These reasons above are why you see software as a service becoming so much more popular, and why our cloud services are growing so fast as well, it's a set it, and forget it, you focus on your site and let the professionals do the rest and you never have to worry. 

In the end, unless your trying to learn to get into the profession, it's better left to someone who knows what they are doing and can stay on top of it daily. For your sites stability, your sanity, your security, and the performance of your site. 

Personally, I use webmin.  Robust enough to handle a handful of sites on my own server, and free.  I typically manage everything via CLI, but every once in a while I prefer to use webmin to change some settings, manage server users, ftp users, etc.

14 hours ago, Rhett said:

It depends on your level of experience, if you are trying to self manage a server and your not a server administrator, then using a panel would be your best solution, as there are many benefits to using one for a novice. Those being you are putting the work on the provider of the panel to ensure your software versions work together smoothly, are upgraded properly with the proper versions and dependancies and when all items in the chain of dependancies are officially supporting and working with each other etc.

If you administer servers everyday it's no big deal, but if not, it's likely something you will struggle with staying up to date on both security issues and software versions and dependancies. 

Either way you go, if your not a server admin, you shouldn't be playing one though, the reason there are so many compromised servers on the web is due directly to everyone thinking they can be a server admin and setup their server, then leave it in a weak security state by not updating it properly or incorrectly. 

These reasons above are why you see software as a service becoming so much more popular, and why our cloud services are growing so fast as well, it's a set it, and forget it, you focus on your site and let the professionals do the rest and you never have to worry. 

In the end, unless your trying to learn to get into the profession, it's better left to someone who knows what they are doing and can stay on top of it daily. For your sites stability, your sanity, your security, and the performance of your site. 

So much this.

Moving to Community in the Cloud has had a significant positive impact on my health. I have a number of responsibilities in my life beyond the IPS site I run, as well as plans to continue doing more. I think this is the case for a lot of people and so it is great to see an IPS staff member say this.

I just wish more of the regular posters here would remember that. At least with this kind of post from staff there is a better chance of this being kept in mind.

Honestly, I do a lot of server admin work as my real job, and hate doing it when I work with my sites, just because I get too burnt out and is why I run cPanel coupled with a managed host. If it's something outside the scope of the cPanel.

I like using cPanel simply because I really hate FTP (and I really mean HATE it) FTP should stand for F*&#^ing Trash Protocol. It's quicker for me to zip let's say the IPS suite files and have it extracted onto the server than it is to just copy it from my desktop over via FTP.

If I want to do it the right way, then using SSH is the way to go... but again, I'm usually running cPanel in the background which makes what I do pretty easy for 90% of my work load just by clicking, and the rest that I can't do in cPanel, that's what a managed host is for ;P

Shell for myself and for few of my friends webmin. 

If you keep your OS up-to date with patches, correct permissions, well set up applications, firewall rules and protection against brute force attacks, I think you are pretty much good to go. I started with cPanel/Plesk and realized to keep it up-to date was in itself is a hassle. Less things to update and less things on server = less exploits. I keep stuff min. If it's not really required, don't install anything on server. 

Have a cheap 3-4$/month VM for play around.

16 hours ago, AlexJ said:

Shell for myself and for few of my friends webmin. 

If you keep your OS up-to date with patches, correct permissions, well set up applications, firewall rules and protection against brute force attacks, I think you are pretty much good to go. I started with cPanel/Plesk and realized to keep it up-to date was in itself is a hassle. Less things to update and less things on server = less exploits. I keep stuff min. If it's not really required, don't install anything on server. 

Have a cheap 3-4$/month VM for play around.

yes, I need a cheap VM to play around with so I can practice. setting things up etc.  I'll have to find on.

1 hour ago, superj707 said:

yes, I need a cheap VM to play around with so I can practice. setting things up etc.  I'll have to find on.

WHT forums  - u will easily get something for even 2-3$ if u pre-pay for 3 months. 'If you mess up, reload the OS and you are back on testing again with new settings. 

Archived