IPS Demo vs this website

Ball Consulting

Seems like IPS is the only way to go on community software. You're miles ahead of the competition. But, why does the demo lag behind the look, feel, and functionality of this website (which also runs IPS)?

First, I know IPS can be made to do anything. But out of the box, the stylish menu and header this website has should be standard in IPS instead of the clunky tabbed version in the demo? It's an expectations thing: see attached photo. There's no way to replicate the look of this site's header/menu in the demo with the point-click style/them editor without coding. And a lot of understanding of your css.

I know IPS can be made to look like anything, but new people are unlikely to be able to make changes of this nature. And why include a dated look when you have a much better one?

There are other examples too. The "News" part of this site resembles the Blog in the demo, but it's different. The News here (like the header) is just better looking for announcements than the demo's blog. I'm pretty sure News here is a Pages app that anyone very experienced could learn to do. But why not include that with the stock software? Like the header, you already have it coded!

Why not include examples of what Pages can do, already coded and loaded? I know you have examples--they are here on your site in Documentation, Bug Tracker, News, etc. But include them inside the software already loaded. In addition, with just 20 employee hours could produce several sample Page apps that people could modify and be included with the software. Even if not a single person ever uses your Pages examples verbatim, modifying is alwaaaays easier than creating from scratch. Especially when you are new to a system. Especially when the product isn't exactly intuitive. The included examples could vary in complexity from very simple to the more advanced...

Even the footer, so much better on this website than the demo!

You've worked hard to create this stylish, well presented invisionpower.com website and a lot of it is discarded (or obscured) in the demo. Again, I know you can hire someone to change IPS. I know it can be changed. But you have a sexy new car on the show room floor (this website) and dated model for sale (demo). 

ips.jpg

I also agree with previous posts. Very disappointed to see the clunky & dated tabbed version of header/menu on software, not what I thought I was getting at all. New car in the showroom, dated model is the one you pick up when you get the keys seems about right.

Unless as used to happen the new appearance is being trialled on here before being included in next update?

While I agree that the header here is much much nicer than the demo, I think that the top menu - Features, Services etc - is actually a block from Pages. If so, that would make it awkward for someone who only purchases, say, Core + Forums. I also recall that this site is used as a demo of what can be done.

I'm sure someone who actually knows will be along soon.

This site used to be 'stock' look and feel to serve as a type of demo.  That philosophy changed many months ago whereby IPS has stated this community now showcases some of the customization that can be done easily with their software.  I can't find the post at the moment, but it's likely in this forum somewhere either posted by Charles or Lindy.

Many of the aspects of this community are done with the Pages app.  The News section, the Bug Tracker, Release Notes, and Guides are all done with Pages.  In fact, within the Guides is a section that details how to build some of the IPS pages.  

The bug tracker has this in the sidebar, and I can confirm that it's a very basic usage of a Pages database.  I've created one myself, for my own software, and it uses many of the same features and filters as the IPS Bug Tracker.

The IPS4 bug tracker is made with our Pages app without any custom modifications. You can do this and a whole lot more very easily using Pages on your own site.

On 7/6/2016 at 10:40 PM, Ball Consulting said:

I know it can be changed. But you have a sexy new car on the show room floor (this website) and dated model for sale (demo). 

ips.jpg

I totally agree with this and the whole post.. Even if we take out that inline menu beside logo if it's from pages section.. Still that bottom menu with stylish marker feels so superior to those clunky tabs. Only that part in demo could've make it look much better..

For me personally, I like the way it is now. I do not want to have to code everything again making it show and work the way I want. Also, all the theme makers would have to edit every one of their themes again.

I do not purchase skins but modify mine. I fail to see how the nav is outdated? With other software I have used or tried IPB has way more options. 

I apologize to all previous posters and mean no offense, but I like it the way it is. Please, lets keep it the way it is. If you wish to have a nav this way, make your own. 

• Management

Using the car analogy (which I love by the way) - it's not unusual to find cars in the showroom "tricked out" with accessories or with a bit of extra polish for the pizazz factor. I wouldn't consider this much different. I'm sure the default theme will receive some love and updates at some point. 

I also know the sales/marketing team are working on pre-populated demos. I don't envision releasing our website in template form as... well, it's our website. I do wholeheartedly agree that we can and should provide more useful real-world examples of how to use the software with the ability to modify to suit. 

As an aside, thanks for the feedback on the site. ^_^

Archived