Raid 1 or Raid 0? Dedicated IPS server , 2 drives.

If you had a fairly active IPB site going onto a dedicated server with 2 drives, would you prefer to have high performance of raid 0 or data redundancy of raid 1?

Assume space isn't an issue in either scenario.

I know what these are so I am not looking for a definition of raid configuration. What I don't know is if realistically raid 1 in the real world is fast enough. Or if it's noticeably slower than raid 0. I don't want I/O issues but I also don't want data loss. 

Your opinions and thoughts please 

In 2016 + you should be using SSD's on a server, so read and write speed just went out the window as a non issue, so at that point, you need data loss prevention, which Raid 1 is your answer. If for some reason you are not using SSD, you should be, but, if not, use Raid 10 with normal (non SSD) Drives. Since you indicate you only have two drives, SSD with Raid one seems the only answer. 

6 minutes ago, Rhett said:

In 2016 + you should be using SSD's on a server, so read and write speed just went out the window as a non issue, so at that point, you need data loss prevention, which Raid 1 is your answer. If for some reason you are not using SSD, you should be, but, if not, use Raid 10 with normal (non SSD) Drives. Since you indicate you only have two drives, SSD with Raid one seems the only answer. 

I have 2 non SSD hard drives only. What is your advice in this situation?

4 hours ago, ASTRAPI said:

If you can increase your budget and get ssd will be the best option ^_^

If not then use Raid 1

clearly SSD's are faster but will a site run fine with a raid 1 standard non ssd HDs?

If you are on budget then 1 SSD + 2 regular HD on RAID 1. I normally run DB on SSD and rest I keep on hard drives. Also set up auto back up script to take DB back ups every midnight when activity is slow if you just gonna use 1 SSD. I never keep 1 back up because you never know what would happen in data-center or if machine get's hacked. 1 back up on regular machine on RAID 1 or above and 2 other copies goes to other machines. 

Regular hard drives if Enterprise grade in RAID 1, could easily handle 500-2000 users at any given time if you have enough CPU/RAM and IO. When I had 5K+ users visiting website for unknown reason, my website was crawling because web server wasn't optimized to handle that much load and it also throttled my MySQL connection. 

SSD makes a huge difference. Euro host's are cheaper and provide SSD in RAID for the same price of US host or even cheaper. You can also try cloudflare but even cloudflare has it's own days. 

Archived