IPS4 split personality

Chris Bell

some of us feel strongly about certain aspects of the NEW IPS4 model, some feel the other way around,
i thought we can discuss our differences here instead of mixing topics on other threads,

while i am not generally against improving any aspect, be it by design or functionality,
i find the model choose and implemented is not the most elegant solution for some aspects of a private community,
my base contingency is a private community has different needs and goals then a social network community!
turning IPS4 to a mini social network is a lovely idea and product; but is very much conflicting by definition with a private community, thus giving IPS4 somewhat of a split personality application,

some of you are familiar with my issues with the current inbox/messenger design in IPS4,
as well as "view new posts" confusing layout; with a design driven from an unrelated application logic, timeline!

timeline event are sequential to a single main object over the course of time,
attempting to logically connect unrelated topics over a timeline string just to mimic another application is wrong and confusing in my eyes,
these topics have no relations to each other beside being posted sequentially time wise; the topics are different in each and have no logical connection that needs to be visually stringed together,

these features inspired by another application simply do not work in my eyes for a private community,
implementing these in a private community regardless of the concept behind them diminishes IPS value in my eyes as a private community solution,

both search results and view new posts (streams) lost some basic stats for no reason whats so ever! social network design influence?
i want to see who posted last, how many hits the topic has, last commenters time, who started the topic,
all the basic ques every private board accept IPS4 displays everywhere!

i wasn't looking to purchase a mini social networking solution,
i was looking for a private community solutions that can be expanded as needed!

It really depends on context. And what your consuming... If each of your forums are islands and independent you would then navigate the triditional forum hierarchy top down, and any searches would be restricted to the forum(s) intended ignoring other forums that are not relevant. Or buy one domain & forum for your very specific private community topic.

When all forums on the site are related in some manner or you are a site moderator / admin having a timeline of all content is more important to get a pulse of the community in whole. 

We all live busy lives and for me trying to 'catchup' on the site when i've been a way is near impossible from a top down approach being able to step back in time and see trend or conversations that interest me make the most practical use of time. 

Yes there are unavoidable influences from other social platforms such as twitter / Facebook but these are relatively new on the scene compared to traditional hierarchical forums.

Traditional forums must adapt to trends and ux and ui standards or risk atrophy as members leave for other venus. Keep in mind many new people coming to the net for data consumption have little experience with traditional forums nor have the patience to learn seemingly antiquated design pattern.

Streams are a design pattern that resonates with more people.

1 hour ago, Chris Bell said:

i want to see who posted last, how many hits the topic has, last commenters time, who started the topic,
all the basic ques every private board accept IPS4 displays everywhere

This is still there in the forum view. https://invisionpower.com/forums/forum/481-product-feedback/ 

You can fully customize the Stream to be as restrictive or inclusive as you need. https://invisionpower.com/discover/618/  Made this forum only appear in the stream.

• Management
3 hours ago, Ocean West said:

It really depends on context. And what your consuming... If each of your forums are islands and independent you would then navigate the triditional forum hierarchy top down, and any searches would be restricted to the forum(s) intended ignoring other forums that are not relevant. Or buy one domain & forum for your very specific private community topic.

When all forums on the site are related in some manner or you are a site moderator / admin having a timeline of all content is more important to get a pulse of the community in whole. 

We all live busy lives and for me trying to 'catchup' on the site when i've been a way is near impossible from a top down approach being able to step back in time and see trend or conversations that interest me make the most practical use of time. 

Yes there are unavoidable influences from other social platforms such as twitter / Facebook but these are relatively new on the scene compared to traditional hierarchical forums.

Traditional forums must adapt to trends and ux and ui standards or risk atrophy as members leave for other venus. Keep in mind many new people coming to the net for data consumption have little experience with traditional forums nor have the patience to learn seemingly antiquated design pattern.

Streams are a design pattern that resonates with more people.

This is still there in the forum view. https://invisionpower.com/forums/forum/481-product-feedback/ 

You can fully customize the Stream to be as restrictive or inclusive as you need. https://invisionpower.com/discover/618/  Made this forum only appear in the stream.

I was going to reply, but you've conveyed my thoughts quite nicely - thanks! 

Thank you very much guys,
i don't disagree with anything said above me; i think the new design is lovely and brighter,
with that i feel that certain aspects of the "design model" are not properly fitted in,
we all want to allow the widest options available for our end users;

4 hours ago, Ocean West said:

wouldn't it be simpler to keep the standard view and add a stream with a custom timeline view?
(i am struggling to understand what you mean by sites connected? ...sub domain instances?)

i fail to see how the visual timeline string changes anything when it comes to getting a pulse?
results are still displayed by default chronologically; how does the timeline itself changes anything in the data displayed? its still the same, and in the same chronological order! (displayed with clipped information compared to previous results layout!)

i also strongly feel that it is wrong to think that the internet as it slowly evolved to what it is today; should be "dumb down" in favor of novice new users,
im not saying we shouldn't accommodate; just not on the expense of trusted methods that got us here, despise the efforts of making the internet seemingly easy and simply,
it is still a very much a complex technical world; we professionals still need to operate in it with all the technical responsibilities and complexities that haven't changed one bit,

Archived