Load averages of 27+ that can't be good right?

This VPS as offered by GD appears not that much better than shared hosting. The 15 minute average isn't that bad, 16.5 out of 24, but as you showed me the other day it doesn't take much for that to be over 24. When those numbers are over 24 on a consistent basis that means the server is always working at or above peak capacity.

If this server was allocated with, for example, only users that had packages of 2 cores each, that would mean only 12 users on the server. Chances are they would only be hosting a single site each (hopefully). If that were the case this server would probably be fine. As is though, since this is GD, everyone here probably has just a single core. Also, I'm betting this is OpenVZ or the like, meaning you all own "a core" but it is just a pseudo-guaranteed 1/24 of the server power and not "this core is yours and no one else can ever use it". In the latter case things tend to work better; in the former one bad actor can easily cause havoc for everyone else.

Granted, only guessing here - there are a lot of variables to take into account when talking about this stuff.

Feel free to PM those details again, or here, current mysql tuner, php version, php info as well so we can see the config. What does the ready for IPS 4 util show? Perhaps you didn't reboot after the mysql changes or there is still something missing in a php config somewhere. 

If those variables are accounted for, honestly, it just leaves GD offering a crappy vps service. If you were to poll the regular people here on the forums who provide server help they would all say it's probably not you, it's GD.

It was crappy. I returned it. Websites homeless again. Also some how in the mess I lost 4 or 5 days of my website. The backup from GD phpmyadmin was crap and I had to go back to my old using using an old back up. Really bad for my site.

On 7/2/2016 at 3:33 PM, superj707 said:

It was crappy. I returned it. Websites homeless again. Also some how in the mess I lost 4 or 5 days of my website. The backup from GD phpmyadmin was crap and I had to go back to my old using using an old back up. Really bad for my site.

Should never take any back up through phpmyadmin no matter what host or provider. mysqldump or any command line alternative is the way to go. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/7/2016 at 10:33 PM, ZeroHour said:

I would check out https://sourceforge.net/projects/automysqlbackup/ for a possible backup script you can use. Not used it for several years as we are now on AWS with RDS and it backs up for us but it was good when I used it last time.

@ZeroHour searching for help on the best way to setup IPB on AWS your name comes up in about every post as someone who has some knowledge in that area.  Do you have any instructions you would be willing to share?

I'm not sure if the right approach was to go with a EC2 ubuntu instance and use S3 bucket for storage or is there a better way to handle multiple sites? I thought about trying to do virtual hosts on the EC2 instance with an Elastic IP but not having a lot of luck.

Any guide or info on how you approached this would be very helpful.

12 hours ago, DJ ZAh said:

@ZeroHour searching for help on the best way to setup IPB on AWS your name comes up in about every post as someone who has some knowledge in that area.  Do you have any instructions you would be willing to share?

I'm not sure if the right approach was to go with a EC2 ubuntu instance and use S3 bucket for storage or is there a better way to handle multiple sites? I thought about trying to do virtual hosts on the EC2 instance with an Elastic IP but not having a lot of luck.

Any guide or info on how you approached this would be very helpful.

We are still on vbulletin using AWS right now but I would use AMI linux over ubuntu (its centos based) as its Amazons own linux distro and its tweaked for best performance.

You can use s3 but you can also use EFS shares if you wanted to store files. There is a guide on how to set it up to backup on AWS docs site. We use their MaraDB RDS and it works well and removes the need to backup mysql yourself.

Elastic IP should work as expected but make sure you get a dedicated ip and link to to your AWS instance otherwise rebooting the instance will cause it to get a new external ip each time. You also have to configure the security rules to allow connections through the firewall.

Archived