Downloads subcategories items listing

-FP

Let's say I have the "Trees" category, and in "Trees" I use the subcategories "Cedar", "Birch" and "Ash" to upload files. I would like to be able to browse all the items in these subcategories at once when I browse to the category "Trees".

I could add them all to Trees and that's it, but I'd like to have a bit of organization, that's why I also use subcategories.

Maybe add a setting to parent categories to show all items in their child categories? I think that is implemented in Pages.

1 hour ago, Joel R said:

It's been requested multiple times. 

Even worse when Trees is only a holding category, it displays 0 files even though it's subcategories may have hundreds of files.  

Exactly:

Capturar.png

I have files on a subcategory but it simply doesn't appear on category list. :frantics:

I REALLY hope they change this to IPS 4.2. It's been requested since 4.0.0 Beta!

All that we ever ask for is an option on the category to "Show sub-category files inside this category."

This is rather annoying on our downloads site because we have tons of categories. Although I admit to category bloat, this default un-configurable 'feature' isn't wanted. :( 

I would like to add my desire to have this change implemented too.  I don't want people to post in my parent categories, but I would like the listing of the child categories to be listed in the parent category.  Please!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1

add us to the list of people who think this is a ridiculous behavior

Invision should go back to the old v3 behavior where all files for a category were listed, including the ones in sub-categories.

I would much prefer if Invision would listen to us and fix this rather than having to resort to using a 3rd party tool for this. 3rd party tools tend to break with time (and updates)

• 10 months later...

+1

I want to be able to show all child items in the parent category too. If me or "vendors" are selling products this actually makes it harder to catch peoples eye with similar things in other categories while they are browsing (and many other reasons why this is silly for not being default behavior imo)

Furthermore, I added one item to the parent category and one item to child category...the total number of files shown on the parent include the child items, so right now it says 2 files, but when I click it it only shows one when they click the parent...very confusing for site users.

hmm.gif

Archived