Which Caching Method is Better?

• 2 weeks later...

In general, redis is faster, as for IPB?  I have no clue, have asked, no one has given details other than just saying memcached.

Anyone know a way to test redis vs memcached on IPB?  I'd be happy to test both of them if someone can point out a good testing example.

I had my own benchmark that i did and decide to go with Memcached but i am not sure that i keep that.

But the truth is that for some platforms Redis may work better than Memcached but not for IPB....at least for my tests ^_^

Don't forget about security also ^_^

http://news.softpedia.com/news/over-6-000-redis-database-servers-ready-for-the-taking-506056.shtml

You ca try both of them and see what works better for you.

34 minutes ago, ASTRAPI said:

I had my own benchmark that i did and decide to go with Memcached but i am not sure that i keep that.

Too bad, I would have loved to duplicate your testing and see how they compared.

35 minutes ago, ASTRAPI said:

In all fairness, that's a user error, you should bind it to the loopback, or if you are doing clustered, firewall off stuff.  Same with memcached.

bind 127.0.0.1 is your friend in redis.conf.

I use redis for php session caching, and memcached for IPB db caching.

On 10.7.2016 at 7:09 AM, tjk said:

In all fairness, that's a user error, you should bind it to the loopback, or if you are doing clustered, firewall off stuff.  Same with memcached.

bind 127.0.0.1 is your friend in redis.conf.

I use redis for php session caching, and memcached for IPB db caching.

how you use with IPS redis for session caching and memcached for DB ?
how you set this ?  in ACP you can only use one for the DB - or i have not seen it where to have something for session caching ?

Thanks in advance ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ASTRAPI said:

I don't use Redis but you can do both with Memcached ^_^

i have at the moment memcached in use - but maybe redis brings some more performance (sometimes it helps to use two systems) ? as @tjk has written that he splitted this - maybe he can tell me how he has done and what is his experience ;) 

Most users prefer to use Memcached than Redis but it's ok you can try it with both systems if you want...

In any case the speed improvement can't be big between them at least according to my benchmarks.

But if you don't have very high traffic forum you will not notice any speed improvements from passing php sessions from Memcached to Redis and the opposite  ^_^

@ASTRAPI

thanks for your feedback - i never used redis before, it is a new system for me  - i had at php5.x always apc but this does not work anymore at php7, i don't get it working - now i have memcached - i have at owncloud for example a split with two cacher and it works better - but maybe at IPS it is other - i don't know, but i don't know how to set the config to get a split for one system for php session caching, and the other for db caching at IPS4 ... 

i think in most situation the improvment is not really much - i get a big speed boost with php7, that was great ;)  all other is cosmetically

Archived