Advertisement views down due to AJAX pagination

Tom_K

I noticed that AJAX calls don't refresh the ads. I have ads setup to show after first topic and first post. AJAX allows the users to move to the next page without reloading the whole page which is great but it also means that those new pages don't generate new views effectively bringing down revenue.

I know AJAX pagination can be turned off but I'm wondering if there is a way to keep AJAX pagination and perhaps set individual ads to reload even with AJAX pagination?

I beleive this was brought up a little while ago and is dealt with in the upcoming .13 release or maybe a another later one down the line.

Basically the AJAX page loads will now fire a new page element that should (?) handle this.

I'd search for the topic where this is mentioned but I just woke up and some thing something coffee....

Good question. If it's .13 the alpha is available so if you wanted to go to all the trouble of a test install plus adding in your ad stuff...

Though, thinking it through, if these are known ad areas (IPS defined that is and not some random block you whip up) there's no reason for the controller to not be able to AJAX refresh those as well. 

If you use Google Adsense, you aren't allowed to reload the adverts using javascript (and doing so will either break the page, break the ads, or violate their ToS). Even if it were allowed though, I'm not aware of any solution that they could implement that would actually work with more than one type of advert, because any ads that use JS would need special treatment. I might just be missing it though.

Archived