Big problem with sorting in the Gallery

motomac

Image sorting in the Gallery is wrong. If you sort images by "Recently updated" and open the first image in the album, you get it at the last position in the navigation:

Работы участников от 8 до 14 лет - Улановка.Ру - Крупнейший форум Бурятии 2016-06-21 09-35-53.png

Влад Егоров, 9 лет - Пицца моей мечты - Улановка.Ру - Крупнейший форум Бурятии 2016-06-21 09-36-55.png

If images are sorted in descending order, why are they sorted in ascending order in a slider?

And you can't change anything because there is no asc/desc setting.

• 7 months later...

I am so disgusted at trying to report  and explain this problem to IPS Support over and over again.  This is not rocket science yet I'm getting nothing but bullfaeces responses from IPS Support.  This is not hard.  I have images with filenames in a certain order, and I want the images to be displayed in the same order.    

I recently created a test album as proof to IPS Support of how erroneous their ordering is.  The filenames are named as follows:

• Horizons_0001
  • Horizons_0002
  • Horizons_0003
  • Horizons_0004
  • Horizons_0005
  • Horizons_0006

In IP.Gallery, I get the following sort order of the files:

• Horizons_0006      Because when I count, 6 is definitely where I like to start
  • Horizons_0001       
  • Horizons_0005      Sometimes, I like to skip to 5 in the middle of counting for no reason.
  • Horizons_0004
  • Horizons_0003
  • Horizons_0002      2 is definitely the last digit out of all numbers 

In no ordering that's known to humankind, somehow IP.Gallery has managed to create its own system of ordering.  Apparently IPS Support thinks this is okay?  And the IPS developers think this is okay? 

Here are some more problems, just to show how bloody idiotic the whole thing is:

• IP.Gallery sometimes replaces the underscores (Horizons_0001) with hyphens (Horizons-0001).  Did I ask you to do that?  Do you do it consistently on every file?  Why no, no I didn't ask you to change my filenname and no, no you don't do it consistently on every file. So not only do you obfuscate my filenname as the title, I sometimes get files with underscores, and I sometimes get files with hyphens and somehow I'm supposed to be okay with that.  
  • IP.Gallery likes to sing the alphabet backwards and count backwards.  Because when schoolchildren learn the alphabet, they definitely learn the Letter Z is the first letter of the alphabet.  Or in my case, watch a sunset in reverse.  Because that makes so much sense.  

Instead of having IPS Support give me a superficial answer that purports to say "everything is working as intended", how has no one from IPS taken a step back and realized the ridiculousness of their numbering system / file renaming?   

Absolutely agree! Once I had to reupload my album about 6 times to make correct sorting. I had to manually rename dozens of my photos to make an ascending order. It's very illogical and user unfriendly.

And I was told the same from IPS Support: it works as intended.

14 hours ago, Joel R said:

IP.Gallery sometimes replaces the underscores (Horizons_0001) with hyphens (Horizons-0001).  Did I ask you to do that?  Do you do it consistently on every file?  Why no, no I didn't ask you to change my filenname and no, no you don't do it consistently on every file. So not only do you obfuscate my filenname as the title, I sometimes get files with underscores, and I sometimes get files with hyphens and somehow I'm supposed to be okay with that.  

SEO stuff. You won't have "file-name-like_that" but a "file-name-like-that".

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been very frustrated with IP sorting in general for some time now.  My specific peeve in mind is Downloads: for volumized series, e.g. files numbered x1,x2,x3...x13, there is only one way to sort them in title order (by default or otherwise), and that is descending order, so at the top of the list is 13, then the list goes down to 1.  Completely counterintuitive for the human user.

This, and the unsearchability of custom pages and blocks are my two bones of conention.

@Joel R I dream of the ability to drag and drop items in Gallery, Downloads and elsewhere to create whatever order we want.

On 2/21/2017 at 2:55 PM, motomac said:

And I was told the same from IPS Support: it works as intended.

Although 95% of the time I think IPS Support is great, there is the odd time where I point something out, someone explains it to me in a way that doesn't make sense, but I realize that my arguing with them isn't going to make any meaningful point so I then say ok, thanks.

Archived