Babble: Real Time Chat

CodingJungle

For those unsure about Babble or not getting it to work. Here is my short installation guide:

1. I installed Babble in the ACP (upload tar file and it installs as an app like others),
  2. then checked the variables in babble.js file on my server (you need write access to this file on your server),
  3. changed the port in the ACP config also for Cloudflare (port 2095, this port number has to be entered in the ACP config, in babble.js AND ALSO you need to OPEN THE PORT on your server!).
  4. After that, you're just required to login to a server console (f.e. via a SSH client, and then switch to Putty) to being able to execute commands as root.
  5. I entered node server-path-to-babble.js/babble.js. Did this and it worked. :)

CodingJungle recommends to use forever in case of crashes or reboots. I'm using "screen" (this means I first write screen, then the node command and close the window)

It looks pretty nice and it worked with my node.js default configuration directly. So I'm glad it's working though I have several questions and I also found some minor bugs. Therefore I use a separate post.... to be continued

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey can you add me to your support request. Just got babble chat and seems i need you too look at it as it install easy but it wont connect to the nodejs server. I test the server it works from server side but wont load from url side. Dose it need to work from url side as well.

5 hours ago, mrbowers said:

Hey can you add me to your support request. Just got babble chat and seems i need you too look at it as it install easy but it wont connect to the nodejs server. I test the server it works from server side but wont load from url side. Dose it need to work from url side as well.

What errors are you getting? What's your configuration? 

1 hour ago, AlexWebsites said:

One thing my members miss with IPS chat is the menu tab chat count when people are in chat. Does this have any menu notification option if you add it to the IPS menu?

It does display the number of people in the chat in the menu.  In general settings for babble go to the layout tab.  Then enable counts at the top.

6 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

One thing my members miss with IPS chat is the menu tab chat count when people are in chat. Does this have any menu notification option if you add it to the IPS menu?

yes it does :) it is updated in real time like the rest of the chat is :) 

4 hours ago, Chosen1 said:

It does display the number of people in the chat in the menu.  In general settings for babble go to the layout tab.  Then enable counts at the top.

23 hours ago, mrbowers said:

Do you know if you can do a plugin for Collaboration? So each person who makes their fan page can have a premade chat room? 

we will see how "clubs" goes for 4.2. I have had to remove other third party support from my apps int he past due to i wasn't able to keep up with IPS changes and changes in the third party app. now with "clubs" i can def see support for this in babble in the near future. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2017 at 0:22 PM, mrbowers said:

Do you know if you can do a plugin for Collaboration? So each person who makes their fan page can have a premade chat room? 

On 5/28/2017 at 11:34 AM, CodingJungle said:

we will see how "clubs" goes for 4.2. I have had to remove other third party support from my apps int he past due to i wasn't able to keep up with IPS changes and changes in the third party app. now with "clubs" i can def see support for this in babble in the near future. 

I will definitely buy Babble if you add the collaboration plugging to Clubs so each Club can have their own chat room. That will be wonderful, that is what I need.

10 hours ago, sadel said:

Is the price really $500 for the chat? Wasn't it $100? :(

I changed the price to $500 with the notice at the top of the description to explain why i had. if you are interested in the babble self hosted, i am still willing to sale it, but it will require making contact with me first, even tho it is mentioned in the description that nodejs is a requirement, there have been people who bought it, used the "i didn't know it required nodejs" to complain to IPS got a refund without me being consulted first, and now babble is on warez sites. so the only option imho was for now was to make the price extremely high, with a notice in the description (to avoid the "but i didn't know" type situations).  

with the launch of the new Babble chat service, self hosted prices will be $150 with a $40 every six month renewal on it.  the babble chat service is listed on my site, https://codingjungle.com/files/file/44-pre-purchae-babble-chat-service/, it will go live next monday. it is currently at a reduced cost for introductory, it will have a $30 every six month renewal for the service itself (which a part of the renewal going to the app and the infrastructure maintenance require to run the service). 

if you have any further questions, feel free to ask them here or PM. 

On 26.7.2017 at 9:48 PM, CodingJungle said:

if you have any further questions, feel free to ask them here or PM. 

How do you handle privacy, personal information and general information of clients & users using babbel as service?
I think it should be added to the application description as generally all data is going thru your servers now.
I'm not someone that is into the internet law and handling, but there is a reason why every chat software has a privacy policy nowadays and I am just personally interested into that.

3 hours ago, GriefCode said:

How do you handle privacy, personal information and general information of clients & users using babbel as service?
I think it should be added to the application description as generally all data is going thru your servers now.
I'm not someone that is into the internet law and handling, but there is a reason why every chat software has a privacy policy nowadays and I am just personally interested into that.

for the babble service, i have two servers that holds and handles the information.

the first one is my main site, https://codingjungle.com:

information stored:

• User name
  • email address 
  • billing info (as in address, i don't store paypal or credit card information on my site) 
  • the license key
  • site url the license key is activated on

the main site also generates a list of "active" licenses, along with thier private/public keys that is then "sent" to the nodejs server.

the "nodejs" server. it runs the babble script in ssl mode thru node.js (it is a separate domain and has its own cert). 

the only information stored there is aggregate data (like how many users are connected every 15 minutes to sockets. I also store aggregated data of "per site", but the sites aren't identifiable as it is a "hash" i use for them). as for messages/IP's, i don't store any of that. think of the nodejs as a "toll bridge" with fast pass. it checks your pass, if it is valid, it lets you across. i guess in a way, it stores the "online list" data, which is in memory and can only be access via the socket (the online list data has username, the avatar, and which room the person is currently in. it also has the group formatting information). 

I'll write up something for the description.

• 3 weeks later...

@CodingJungle I don't understand your subscription packages https://codingjungle.com/files/file/44-babble-chat-service/

Looks to me like:

$95 year then $50 per year - After 2 years its $145

$75 for 6 months then $30 per 6 months - After 2 years it's $165

$65 for 3 months then $20 per 6 months - After 2 years it's $125? Is that accurate or is it supposed to be $20 per every 3 months? Otherwise, this is your best option. 

Babble Chat ( 3 Months )

(0 reviews)

$65.00 and $20.00 per 6 months

This is for 3 months of the Babble Chat Service. 

So this is hosted chat by you and all we do is install the app, correct? Similar to IPS?

the initial price and renewal is like it is for any other app, it is to support the continued development of it and in this case, it is to also support the additional cost of running the "chat server" and the infrastructure it requires.

for each package, you get whatever the interval is upon purchase, then after that time period for the package has expired to continue to use the service, the renewal needs to be paid up.

there was an error with the 3 month package, i've corrected it, thankyou. 

it is a bit different than how IPS did their chat. I don't store any of the chats, the only information i store are things like how many people are connected (and that info is aggregated). so i don't keep any personal information or messages or whispers (private convo's). the service receives the message and sends it out in real time to those who are connected to the room (and only to the connections thru your site), it facilitates the real time nature of babble.  

Archived