It’s Impossible to live with this!

Chris Bell

It’s Impossible to live with this!
I don’t think I need to expand, do i?

inbox.jpg

At the least this should optional where the full wide view is default, not the other way around!
Top this with search not working properly and simple yielding junk result on top of this slim window,
when the rest of the page is just empty for no reason, i can do a normal search and i cant do a visual search either!

@Lindy
I’m sorry… but you’re guys seem to be too infatuated with mobile application style implementation;
totally neglecting productivity achieved in v3, that’s completely lost now in IPS4; in so many aspects!

Please it’s enough with this mobile view movement,
you’re doing same thing MS did with Win10 which I personally will never use!

Chris

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im sorry if i wasn't clear guys,
inbox being a narrow window on the left instead of full page as it should be!
(if i want to preview or see a message ill open myself thank you! (im being funny not personal :))

no page brows or full view option, searching through hundreds of messages this way is simply frustrating and impossible!
every time i end up needing to use this function i get disappointed,
since im usually in the middle of support looking for something;
i move on to other ways of finding what im looking for,

13 minutes ago, Chris Bell said:

… full page as it should be!

Says who? It’s a pretty normal way to browse through messages, yes even on desktop:

yos_mail_overview.png

I do get what you are saying regarding searching messages, but the layout is more a matter of taste I guess and the current layout has it’s advantages as well. I certainly don’t agree to your absolute statement how it supposedly “should be” or with the hyperbole that someone can’t live with that. 

you missed something, its not the preview thats that issue for me, 

i need to go through all my messages via that tiny window while almost a full page is sitting idle on the right,
its not too hard to right click or hover over a message i might want to read when its in full view,

the way it is now is inverted from what it used to be,
compare v3 inbox below, also consider that at the end of that page i can jump to older pages,
(if i know the message im looking for is old and berried in older pages; especially when search doesn't work)

Untitled_1.jpg

Click one of the messages, and it will show up in the pane on the right that's 'blank'. 

The new layout allows you to switch between messages quickly without having to go back to the list and select a different message.

4 minutes ago, Chris Bell said:

i need to go through all my messages via that tiny window while almost a full page is sitting idle on the right,

I get that. But like I said: that’s a matter of taste and the current solution also has it’s advantages, like being able to quickly access many messages from one view without loading a new page. 

That being said: It’s probably technically possible to have the link box on the left being more expanded until a message is actually open. The recommendation is as usual (how many times have I written that in the past weeks?): Post something like that as feature request in the feedback forum. Explain calmly why that would beneficial to you and (at best) many other IPS clients. It’s really simple. I don’t get why people don’t do that in the first place and instead start off with hyperbolic complaints. 

@Aiwa
your missing my point; its not productive to go one message at a time and preview each content!
i have hundreds of emails i need to search through; for example i reply to same questions over and over,
i don't always have them sitting in the last 10 messages; i look for keywords to trace the email im looking for,

search doesn't work anyway; even if it did you still have to sift through search result in that tiny window?
am i the only one this is bothers? i don't know about you guys but my eyes are not what they used to be,
after a long days working in-front of a monitor the last thing i need is tiny letter in a restricted window view,

its nice when your in the airport or on the go and you still get to see your board on your mobile,
its horrible and inconsiderate for a desktop users who have to now use the same interface,

any developer out there wants to do his work off a mobile phone?
forget developer take anyone interacting with computer in their day,

@opentype
i disagree with you on the "access many messages" statement, the view is restricted atm,
the same element of page expanding instead of clicking pages number; is still doable for inbox as well,

like you suggested; i think an option to see inbox in full view should be the default not the other way around,
a simple narrow view with preview option or full page without preview (old style) being default,
something like the way ACP slides in and out of the page,
a click shrinks the view to narrow with preview; another expands to full view without preview,
if we have to; at least lets have the best of both worlds,

@Chris Bell You do know that if your scroll down on that list, it will auto load the next page of messages, right?  Just like Facebook when you reach the bottom of your feed.  So you can scroll through them at your hearts content to find the one you're looking for.  

yes i am aware,
its an understatement when i say... i don't like that it all happens in that tiny window!
there is no logical explanation i can think of other than eye candy  priority over productivity there,

im not greedy; ill settle for one logical reasoning on...
how is this view is better or more productive then a full page view? (for inbox mind you!)

note in v3 that area is where your settings are; in v4 thats where inbox is?
who thought of that? and who approved it is not less important ^_^

lets assume i have 120 pages (old terminology) worth of emails in my inbox,
i know a conversation i am looking for happened the first few days my inbox started... should i scroll down 120 pages to get to it? (when search isn't working)
honestly my heart doesn't fancy doing that at all ;)

i actually dread every time i need to search or find old conversation on board or in my inbox!

• Management

Hope all is well, Chris. 

This is one of those things that one will love it, one will hate it. Whatever camp you're in, you're statistically in the minority in terms of layout preference. Everything uses the same layout by default - Facebook messenger, mail clients, messaging apps, etc. all use the same layout. It doesn't mean it's right or wrong, but you know we roll with the majority and the change is to significant with too few in the minority to warrant a "dual mode" setup. Sorry. 

Now... with that out of the way, there's a few PM tweaks done for a following release. Filter by unread, mass move and I think there's improved search. 

Nothing I can do about the layout, but if you're having difficulty finding PMs, that's something we can (and may have already) addressed. ^_^

That page just uses ipsColumns.  

If what IPS has come up with doesn't meet your needs, you can always hire a theme designer to make a couple small alterations to that page to make the browsing pane larger if no message is selected, or just larger in general.  It's 360px wide right now, most development is centered around a 1200px wide.  So it's already taking up 3/10th of the page.

Doing great Lindy, Thank you ^_^

Imo I think you’re reading the map wrong,
Allot of the guys who hang around here and send you feedback daily are web dev’s,
For them any new function, function integration, or any new gadget is a fun challenge I completely sympathize with as a tech,
This doesn’t reflects necessarily  real world conditions!

real world conditions are…
For example this specific issue has been bothering me from day one; yet I only now come forward and express how I’m unhappy with it,
So my first thoughts were IPS will fix it! IPS didn’t! I don’t really have the time or luxury to focus on IPS perfections; I was sure this should come up by now,

Many of us simply don’t have the time to stop everything and open something like this thread every day,
it’s just not feasible for most of us who opt to pay for CMS support services instead of using an open source platform,

just because people don’t voice their discontent doesn’t imply things are good!

In the beginning I had more time and was more focused and involved in implementing IPS initially;
Since I am focused back on my own work; we have two IPS professionals working with our team,

For me to post this is going way out of my way; I will need to dedicate few hours and immediate attention if I want this to be taken seriously,
if I got to this point maybe one should consider reading between the lines,

FYI: No inbox in the world operates out of the left side window,
from every online service to outlook and personal clients!
All use the right side pane as the wide pane and left as the quick access area;
in most you can divide the main window to give more room to the left preview/settings,
why reinvent the wheel and then insists its good being square?

it is nice that our end users get the best and latest technology available to them;
at  the end of the day it is still a tool i pay for to make my life easier not the other way around!

Best regards,
Chris

18 minutes ago, Chris Bell said:

FYI: No inbox in the world operates out of the left side window, from every online service to outlook and personal clients!

uh... what?  That's a pre-defined setting in MS Outlook, Thunderbird, EM Client, and Outlook.com.  I use three out of the four I just listed daily and they're all set up so that the message list is in the left column and the selected message appears in the larger right side window. I don't recall ever changing that setup.

im not looking to turn my view to a narrow view in my outlook,
if you're a light email user with one inbox that layout may work for you until you have enough messages that you start to get lost,
ask Lindy how many times a day he searches his inbox/'s and if he does that off the left pane view! ^_^

ouch... lol ;) 
(that didn't just backfire at all :rofl:)

@Lindy
you're using a double wide monitor there clearly! (busted :p )
with that id still use at least half of what you've speared there for preview,
(you're still not using the left, left pane for search or to brows through; you're using the right side; which you can resize as needed!)

thats no too bad; but you guys are using the right pane still!
further more you can adjust the width as needed; when needed,
you're not really operating from the first pane on the left; the quick access area,

not to mention the negligible fact that you guys have 3 panes there on double wide screens! (not fair! :rofl:)

for you guys this "bad" inbox practice (imo) should be further of an issue with such large screen real-estate area; then me!!!
you're inbox area is maybe a 1/5 of you're screen on IPS inbox this way (at least that what id expect)

beside who writes a PM that requires this much screen space so often?
you can write a half a book over that space! (@Lindy ^_^)
anyone that does need this much space; should send an email!

11 minutes ago, Chris Bell said:

thats no too bad; but you guys are using the right pane still!
further more you can adjust the width as needed; when needed,
you're not really operating from the first pane on the left; the quick access area,

not to mention the negligible fact that you guys have 3 panes there on double wide screens! (not fair! :rofl:)

for you guys this "bad" inbox practice (imo) should be further of an issue with such large screen real-estate area; then me!!!
you're inbox area is maybe a 1/5 of you're screen on IPS inbox this way (at least that what id expect)

beside who writes a PM that requires this much screen space so often?
you can write a half a book over that space! (@Lindy ^_^)
anyone that does need this much space; should send an email!

Keep in mind that not everyone uses their install the same way you do.  They might be just PMs to you, but they could easily be full on emails to other people. 

Archived