What happened with the Chat rewrite?

NoGi

Remember back when we were all beta testing 4.0? IPS mentioned that Chat would be getting a rewrite after 4.0 was officially released. We are at 4.1.x now and still no sign of an updated chat app. Any updates?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Management

That wasn't unintentional. ;)

We are exploring providing integration service with a well established solution vs reinventing the wheel. Our roadmap for IPS4 grows exponentially by the day and the popularity and demands placed upon the suite do as well. I don't envision being able to dedicate time and development resources to rewrite chat from the ground up to accommodate all of the requested features in the foreseeable future. 

With that said, I'm communicating with a few different companies on integration opportunities as before any decisions are made and finalized, we absolutely want to be sure there are seamless alternatives. 

11 hours ago, Lindy said:

That wasn't unintentional. ;)

We are exploring providing integration service with a well established solution vs reinventing the wheel. Our roadmap for IPS4 grows exponentially by the day and the popularity and demands placed upon the suite do as well. I don't envision being able to dedicate time and development resources to rewrite chat from the ground up to accommodate all of the requested features in the foreseeable future. 

With that said, I'm communicating with a few different companies on integration opportunities as before any decisions are made and finalized, we absolutely want to be sure there are seamless alternatives. 

Do it.  Drop chat and specialize in what you want to be amazing at.  

I wouls rather own a few amazing apps, rather than a bunch of mediocre ones.  

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know Slack is not something that is intended for community chats with potentially thousands of registered users in the teams. I don't think Slack integration would be possible to achieve in the sort of environment that an open community is, where the idea is that anyone can join it. The Slack clients are also really all I need in my opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong however. 

On 7/15/2016 at 8:33 PM, Haku2 said:

I would rather a self-hosted solution replace the current chat application as it would be more cost-effective in the long-term and give me more control. Please look into ArrowChat.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with ArrowChat.  Their staff are rude, do not care, slow to update. 

Seriously forget all these other chats.. team up with comet chat.. they already have a partnership and a integration with tapatalk...  so if you base your chat off of them you can integrate all 3.. have a  chat that members on the site cant chat to mobile users.. and on top of that.. they have 1 on 1 private chat ... . unlike bogus rocket chat and slow arrow chat.. comet chat got it down... Seriously thats the only chat is even comparable....

And yes they have video and audio chat aswell

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 1:54 PM, Lindy said:

@Lindy any more progress on this?

Archived