I was really disappointed

You should put a hand on your heart

Your conception of board is old

You need hundreds of plugins that only create problems

They are chargeable and are not updated

When you uninstalled a plugin, they generate permanent errors in the board

You say to to contact the author and ask him to disable errors

When you accepted their development even if they do not follow the standards

And should I communicate my login information to people outside?

I can list all the features that are missing in IPS, and that it will lead to failure

Please take about these considerations by a user who follows you for 5 years

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I've looked over your account and quite honestly I'd be frustrated too. It seems you've hit a series of unusual issues that have been escalated. 

I'm deeply sorry for your experience and assure you, we are working very hard at incorporating improved processes to catch more issues, however obscure and seemingly isolated. 

Regarding your other feedback - I'm unsure what you're referring to with third party contributions, so it's difficult to comment further. It's also difficult to properly gauge what's considered an "essential feature" -- what one considers essential, another considers bloat, outdated/obsolete and/or overwhelming to the product. I'm not sure I can be much help in easing your concerns in that regard, however, I would note IPS4 is ever-evolving - quite rapidly as well. 

Once again, I'm sorry for your experience and welcome you to contact me to open a one-on-one dialogue to go over your concerns. I really do hope things improve for you, whether that's at IPS or elsewhere. 

Whit last version of IPS 4.1.12.1 we can't remove any applications becouse IPS doens't remove all codes and make error in log every minutes

We contact you and you tell to contact the authors...

Problem it is IPS that allow this plugin to be developed

IPS without plugin doesn't offer nothing

We are in 2016 and:

- IPS doens't allow to disable file version in IP.Download

- IPS doesn't allow to upload multiple files in the same time

- IPS doesn't allow to create articles and pages in multiple languages

- IPS doesn't allow to set target in h

ref (_blank, ecc) in image link

- IPS doesn't allow a jquery slider native

- IPS doens't allow to limit download for file linked in a text in a file in ip.download (guest can download it!!!)

I can continue....

58 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

The experience that i have is that people who disappoints very easily with IPS, they will also be disappointed with others platforms.

Others platforms are free...

You are a programmer, IPS is good only for you

You can solve your problem, i can't do this

I' have to spend 2 hour for day with support....

I find bugs every day, you @RevengeFNF

13 minutes ago, modman said:

Others platforms are free...

You are a programmer, IPS is good only for you

You can solve your problem, i can't do this

I' have to spend 2 hour for day with support....

I find bugs every day, you @RevengeFNF

You have free and paid solutions for other platforms. You can find bugs reports in those platforms everyday... Or do you really think IPS is the only platform with bugs?

Be well prepared...

@modman, I am really tempted to ask you to go and try a free platform like MyBB or phpbb and then compare it to your experiences with IPS. Most of the things you listed as needing to be native to IPS are needed as addons for something like MyBB, or they are simply not an option. You need to know how to manage your server for these free options, do you know how to do that? Does your host offer good support (we have hosting, not for IPS, with A Small Orange and they are fantastic - we pay for that privilege. They told exactly what we needed to do to host IPS4 and we decided to go CiC, while keeping ASO hosting for other projects) Also, the help communities are variable on free hosting, MyBB's was slow, mostly uninformative and others (like SMF) tend to be elitist and treat people like me (novices) with contempt - like how dare I ask a question?!

I am not saying IPS is perfect, but really... what software is? I can only really say, hand on heart, the only software I've rarely had issues with is photoshop and I paid $800 for that privilege.

Any good software is constantly evolving, this means it's never perfect and it's never "finished". All they can do is get more efficient and I think IPS are trying to do that.

As someone who was a prior user of SMF and PHPBB's software before transitioning to IPS, IPS is a much better suite. I don't think anyone is under any illusions that IPS 4 has had some teething issues, and I agree there have been a lot of features lost since 3.4 series (one of the big selling points for me was always how much control IPS gave natively) but the developers are very friendly, they listen to feedback and they implement it.

As for the customer support, I don't think I've ever had such good service from anywhere before - you certainly don't get the same level of support from the open source forum software developers.

As for bugs, if you can name one piece of software that has never had a bug in it, then I will tell you that you are lying. What matters is how the developers address the bugs, and again IPS address bugs as fast as they can, bundling them together in a release. Any developer will tell you that there will be bugs in software.

No other platforms spoken, we are talking about IPS

If you look back, you never will go on

IPS is a payed platform, ok, take a decision

Every 5 upgrade, please do 1 introducing a function that users need (we are waiting for one year for many functions)

IPS 3.4 was considerably more stable and with more features

Don't release an update that give error and 10 bug after installed it, this is bad publicity

It is unnecessary to pay IPS and 100 other plugin (that do not work, are not stable and after each update must cross your fingers)

From the company's point of view it is necessary to increase the price of IPS and hire a person who can develop these plugins internments IPS

So as to end this charade and give a definitive turning point in this platform, which seems to never find peace

If we really believe in this platform, why not propose you something ...

For the record ... you have ever tried Wordpress with his forum?

We really want to make a comparison?

We're back light years

37 minutes ago, modman said:

You can't bring up other "free" platforms that you claim do all those things you want out of the box and then come back and say we can only talk about IPS.

Why don't you give some examples of these other "free" forum software that can achieve everything you have listed and are bug free?

I have used probably all the free platforms and none of them compare to IPB and what I use it for. I run a graphics download site and IPB has always been a good platform for that. But that is just my opinion and means nothing. With all that said, I did have to relearn a few things with IPB4 and once I learned those things I was pretty much good to go. My tickets are less and less and most things (even if I send a support ticket) I wind up fixing myself. 

5 minutes ago, NoGi said:

You can't bring up other "free" platforms that you claim do all those things you want out of the box and then come back and say we can only talk about IPS.

Why don't you give some examples of these other "free" forum software that can achieve everything you have listed and are bug free?

IPS is not free!

For me it is better to increase the price but offer a decent product, keeping up with user requests and especially Multilingual

Why after all these updates it is not introduced a feature that users really need?

It seems that it is purposely left unfinished to buy external plugins that will not work

It is possible that in 2016 IPS does not allow you to create items and multi-language pages?

We're kidding?

All the site work in multiple languages, the simplest things no

How long does it take to accomplish this?

Why it is not added?

Because you can not properly utilize the Download section?

Why to insert a simple map of google I have to use a plugin?

Wake up, the forums are dying, these missing features will not stimulate an administrator to continue to use a forum

46 minutes ago, modman said:

If you look back, you never will go on

IPS is a payed platform, ok, take a decision

Every 5 upgrade, please do 1 introducing a function that users need (we are waiting for one year for many functions)

IPS 3.4 was considerably more stable and with more features

Don't release an update that give error and 10 bug after installed it, this is bad publicity

It is unnecessary to pay IPS and 100 other plugin (that do not work, are not stable and after each update must cross your fingers)

From the company's point of view it is necessary to increase the price of IPS and hire a person who can develop these plugins internments IPS

So as to end this charade and give a definitive turning point in this platform, which seems to never find peace

If we really believe in this platform, why not propose you something ...

For the record ... you have ever tried Wordpress with his forum?

We really want to make a comparison?

We're back light years

Yes, we are talking about IPS. However there is not a single piece of software that has been released completely free of bugs. It isn't as though Lindy is sat in an office, saying "Yeah I know that it's riddled with bugs but release it and we'll deal with the aftermath later".

The very nature of bugs is that you can only catch so much. Any developer will tell you that fixing one thing can unintentionally break another thing. Unlike many other platforms, IPS has taken the feedback and Lindy has responded to say that they are looking for someone to head QA so as to mitigate the issues that have been recently experience. I doubt you would get that sort of feedback from any other company.

One thing I will agree with is that IPS 3.4 had a lot more control over various aspects of the community. Others would also call it a lot of bloated software. I'm firmly in the camp that wants more features but I have found that whining is no way to do this. Provide some constructive feedback, stating exactly what you would like to be in, and IPS will listen. They might not necessarily agree, but I have always found that Lindy will provide a reason as to why they disagree instead of simply stating "No."

Also, Wordpress is not IPS software so any criticism about IPS 4's interaction with Wordpress is not relevant. IPS have never stated that they support interfacing with Wordpress and that sort of support is better suited for a plugin by a third party developer. Especially when IPS have IP.Pages and IP.Blog.

1 minute ago, modman said:

Members on my site love the download system. And believe me, the download system is what makes my site.

IPS is not free!

Take a breath, re-read what I wrote and post those free forums you think do all the things that the paid IPS forum doesn't and without bugs.

All those things you listed, none of my members are interested in and my forum is doing fine. So don't assume that just because you want it, that we all do too. I would not be happy if IPS increased the price for their software when it works just fine for me.

2 minutes ago, modman said:

IPS is not free!

For me it is better to increase the price but offer a decent product, keeping up with user requests and especially Multilingual

Why after all these updates it is not introduced a feature that users really need?

It seems that it is purposely left unfinished to buy external plugins that will not work

It is possible that in 2016 IPS does not allow you to create items and multi-language pages?

We're kidding?

All the site work in multiple languages, the simplest things no

How long does it take to accomplish this?

Why it is not added?

Why to insert a simple map of google I have to use a plugin?

Wake up, the forums are dying, these missing features will not stimulate an administrator to continue to use a forum

What features do you feel that IPS should support natively in the core product? Provide some specific examples.

You can create pages easily with IP.Pages. The suite has the ability for multiple languages. Anything other than English is best left out of the core product.

A lot of the stuff you seem to want to do is possible to do in Google Maps.

3 minutes ago, NoGi said:

All those things you listed, none of my members are interested in and my forum is doing fine. So don't assume that just because you want it, that we all do too. I would not be happy if IPS increased the price for their software when it works just fine for me.

Then IPS can offer packages with different prices based on demand feature

And accepting user requests at least once every 6 months

Staff can create a section with surveys of new features requested by users

After six months, the survey with more results MUST be taken into consideration

Does it seem normal to have to install a plugin to display such discussions?

This should be the basis

Have you ever tried searching in the download section? not working at all!

Then IPS can offer packages with different prices based on demand feature

And accepting user requests at least once every 6 months

Staff can create a section with surveys of new features requested by users

After six months, the survey with more results MUST be taken into consideration

This isn't some sort of democracy, you know. IPS offers a product based on their vision of what they want the product to be.

They already listen to feedback from customers and implements a lot of good ideas.

I would rather IPS spent their time working on the core product instead of developing customised features for different people's boards.

Just now, modman said:

This is the main problem! 

But it isn't. If IPS were to provide a customised install with everything you want it would cause IPS more work, not just in the initial development, but also in supporting your install if you decide to upgrade or if you need assistance.

It is best for IPS to focus on a core product with core features (refining them as suggestions become available) and for plugins/addons to be developed by the community. As it already is.

So how's that list of free software coming along that is

a) bug free and

b) does everything you think all software in 2016 should do?

Your posts seem rather vague or on the unreasonable side, if you are unhappy with IPS, move on to one of those other platforms you fail to mention.

Life's too short and if you look at the responses, you'll find that most if not all are just fine with v4.x.

Just before I continue reading this. Could I just get this straight in my head. Just so I don't misunderstand here.

• You believe that free software has more features than IPS
  • You believe that every feature that every individual asks for should be implemented, regardless of business decisions or not. They should just employ more staff
  • You believe the 7 other individuals (not counting myself), who believe they wouldnt want to see the company work this way, are incorrect and you are the one who is correct?

And just to clarify that last point. If we take this as a sample batch of Invisions customers. You believe they should ignore the 7, and instead listen to the 1. And you think that this will somehow be beneficial to Invision as a company?

• Management

Respectfully, most of the features you are asking for make me think "I'm not opposed, maybe a nice someday thing" but I've yet to hear anyone else mentioning them. I'm not sure how the downloads system doesn't fit your needs, but we're always open to constructive feedback. It powers the entire marketplace here. There are music labels and artists using it to distribute things to fans. 

To be clear, you're absolutely right to be frustrated about the core usage experience; I would be too. You've had the worst luck of any client in recent memory and I truly empathize with you. I'm afraid that's where my agreement ends and I feel your feedback of what should exist "in 2016" in the core product may not necessarily line up with others' expectations. We keep hearing clients want more search options, better gallery workflow, more user engagement features, some commerce reworking, etc. We're focusing on things that benefit the majority vs niche items that a relative few would ever care about.

Archived