Marketplace is available with the active licence only

RPG-support

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, The Dark Wizard said:

All this does is create the potential for bad devs to place something on the market place that can include malicious coding. 

I was always surprised with the number of plugins created for other platforms.

PS

Plugins extend and expand the functionality of WordPress. 45,103 plugins with 1,301,424,337 total downloads are at your fingertips.

Just now, RPG-support said:

I was always surprised with the number of plugings created for other platforms.

PS

Quoting figures is worthless without an indication of the quality of the plugin.

For example Apple (and Android) has an app store with a large number of apps. However the quality of those apps are quesitonable - for example there were a large number of "Flappy Bird" clones created.

Plugins extend and expand the functionality of WordPress. 45,103 plugins with 1,301,424,337 total downloads are at your fingertips.

IPS is not an open source/free platform. Any dev who doesn't own the software that wants to make plugins is going to have a limited customer base anyway. From a dev standpoint its not going to bring people to IPS. Why? You can release a plugin on wordpress and make oodles of money.

There is zero incentive for this big imaginative dev crowd to come and develop for IPS. 

Most people here are exclusively forum based developers/are hired by a site or they brought their license.

4 minutes ago, The Dark Wizard said:

IPS is not an open source/free platform.

And? Why when I am telling about the number of plugins then there is at least 1 man per hour who will write about the open/non-open source? The whole topic is about that it should be done something to attract the developers. And then you come and tell that nothing probably should be changed because more devs will produce more bad code. Are you serious?!

1 minute ago, The Dark Wizard said:

IPS is not an open source/free platform. Any dev who doesn't own the software that wants to make plugins is going to have a limited customer base anyway. From a dev standpoint its not going to bring people to IPS. Why? You can release a plugin on wordpress and make oodles of money.

There is zero incentive for this big imaginative dev crowd to come and develop for IPS. 

Most people here are exclusively forum based developers/are hired by a site or they brought their license.

And just to carry this point further - the fact that other platforms are open source/free is the main reason that they are more widely used. An active developer community will not lead to more sales of IPS. People aren't choosing to use PHPBB or other free software because of the plugins. They are using it simply because it is free.

Free/open source software comes at a cost. There is no guaranteed support, there is no team that work on the software full time as their job.

11 minutes ago, CalvinK said:

Quoting figures is worthless without an indication of the quality of the plugin.

We can not even know what is the quality of the plugins on the Marketplace. The recent topic is proving this.

4 minutes ago, CalvinK said:

People aren't choosing to use PHPBB or other free software because of the plugins. They are using it simply because it is free.

This argument is in favour of the poor. It does not have any serious ground. Just making the air moving from pronouncing the words.

• Management

I'm not sure number of plugins has any direct correlation to the quality of product or even if it would work for you or not. Third party developers create apps and plugins based on demand... it could very well be fewer plugins coupled with the product serve most clients' purposes better than a product that requires thousands of plugins to suit the client. 

We can not even know what is the quality of the plugins on the Marketplace. The recent topic is proving this.

Any developer who knows what they're doing with IPS will have a licence already. I wouldn't trust a developer who hasn't already got a licence, and nor would I give them money when they refuse to pay the small amount that a licence costs.

And I don't particularly think it is fair for paying customers to be subsidising a developer's licence when they will be using that licence to generate income for themself. Every other developer here has made that initial investment.

4 minutes ago, Lindy said:

it could very well be fewer plugins coupled with the product serve most clients' purposes better than a product that requires thousands of plugins to suit the client. 

This is the moment when I may tell that quantity is producing the quality. Just look at the number of stars in the sky.

Supply -> Demand. 

Wordpress being a free software, it's out there in much larger quantities than IPS.  It's freely install able by most web hosting control panels.  Meaning more potential customers for a developer. 

And @Lindy hit the nail on the head IMO.  The quantity of available plugins may speak larger volumes to the lack of features in the core product.  

Bland product requires more plugins, Wordpress.   Refined product requires fewer plugins, IPS.  

1 minute ago, RPG-support said:

This products require even more plugins. At least 10 times greater than 500. Because they are refined. 

We'll agree to disagree.  The use of Pages alone means you don't need plugins where simple blocks make up for what used to be dozens of plugins.

The main point remains.  Wordpress has a much larger install base, thus larger demand to attract more developers.  

If you are using lots of third-party items for IPS then that means you have a complicated site... nobody forces you to have a complicated site. Are your members asking for things? Great, that's their desire but it does NOT mean it is actually good for them.

To assume that using lots of third-party items means that the core product is lacking or that the market should therefore be opened up... there is no logic here. Only a desire to see your specific, close-minded preference forced onto other people.

2 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

We'll agree to disagree.  The use of Pages alone means you don't need plugins where simple blocks make up for what used to be dozens of plugins.

The main point remains.  Wordpress has a much larger install base, thus larger demand to attract more developers.  

This, without a doubt.

Pages adds the ability for a huge amount of customisation. Pages is hindered only by a lack of documentation - which Lindy tells us is coming. There is more that can be done to make this better - for example allowing the filter by content tagging, but ultimately it gives a lot of control.

As for the point you "argued" against, it is a perfectly legitimate point to make. People don't use a certain software package simply because of the mods that are available. The fact is, IPS are running a business and it doesn't make good business sense to offer your products out for free. The developers of PHPBB are not running a business, but as a result there is no guaranteed support if things go wrong.

I am also yet to hear a valid reason why I and others, as paying customers, should be expected to subsidise a freeloading developer who wants to profit from IPS without making the initial investment by buying the licence in the first place.

3 minutes ago, CalvinK said:

I am also yet to hear a valid reason why I and others, as paying customers, should be expected to subsidise a freeloading developer who wants to profit from IPS without making the initial investment by buying the licence in the first place.

The reason was provided by the boss above: some developer licence will be introduced after some time. It will not be costly as the user licence.

2 minutes ago, CalvinK said:

I am also yet to hear a valid reason why I and others, as paying customers, should be expected to subsidise a freeloading developer who wants to profit from IPS without making the initial investment by buying the licence in the first place

Exactly. IPS is not a government, charity, or anybody's instrument of social change. They are in fact an option that differentiates itself by providing a secure and stable environment in which you are much less likely to be put through a torturous process whenever you want to run and manage your website, whilst providing a sustainable option for people to engage in fair economic activity.

2 minutes ago, RPG-support said:

The reason was provided by the boss above: some developer licence will be introduced after some time. It will not be costly as the user licence.

This is not the same as subsidising a free and open market, so no, that is not a reason.

Maybe you just need to work on communicating yourself more clearly... this is not the first time that you've mixed a potentially valid idea with tangential topics of an incendiary nature.

That's a business decision for Lindy to make. And the user licence is not costly as it is an investment for developers who can make money from their skills. Especially as such skills are in short demand.

My point is this. A developer who has purchased a licence to use the licenced software is more likely to know the software as they have been running their own community with it. They have access to the latest updates so can update their modifications faster. There's also the moral element of them making money from something that they have at least paid for, like we all have.

In your posts you seem to advocate that administrators who have not purchased a licence, and have instead pirated the software, should be allowed to access the marketplace and develop for the marketplace. Lindy has certainly not said that this will be allowed and is vehemently against such a proposal. I am of the same opinion that pirates should not be given the encouragement to develop and potentially profit from modifying source code that they have no legitimate access to.

9 minutes ago, Simon Woods said:

this is not the first time that you've mixed a potentially valid idea with tangential topics of an incendiary nature.

This is the nature of all genius ideas from the point of view of the average men. Especially when there is no need to change anything in the status quo.

2 minutes ago, RPG-support said:

This is the nature of all genious ideas from the point of view of the average men. Especially when there is no need to change anything in the status quo.

I like you Ivan, but that just made me LMAO...

8 minutes ago, CalvinK said:

In your posts you seem to advocate that administrators who have not purchased a licence, and have instead pirated the software, should be allowed to access the marketplace and develop for the marketplace.

I need the advocate to refute anything which I did not write. I am not an expert in this.

Lindy even clarified this on the first page of the thread.

On 07/06/2016 at 4:51 PM, Lindy said:

Are you suggesting opening to the marketplace to people who have never had a license? Other than piracy, what would be the reasoning behind allowing that?

You replied with:

On 07/06/2016 at 4:58 PM, RPG-support said:

Yes, I am suggesting that developers without the licence may upload files to the Marketplace to make competition, to increase the number of products and to make it as popular as Google Play Market. And the users without licence may purchase to increase the commodity turnover.

It is not possible to stop the pirates because they will always find the way. Better to increase the number of the normal people in the circle.

You are advocating allowing people who have never even paid for the initial IPS product to profit from it.

Why should pirates be given carte blanche and why should IPS allow pirating developers to profit from their work when they have given nothing back to IPS?

• Management

Most select a few plugins, apps and install a new theme. Those who install *.* from the marketplace generally find their life to get pretty miserable pretty quickly. It's akin to going to an auto parts store like AutoZone and putting the entire accessories aisle in your cart. Ultimately, your car is going to end up like:

Poser.JPG

It seems that's what you're going for in this topic and refinement is probably the last word I'd use to describe it. ;) 

I'm kidding of course, but the loose comparison stands. More != better

Archived