4.1.12.1 totally destroyed my site!!

SJ77

30 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

I noticed you have the /forum/admin folder and the /admin/.

Im thinking the auto upgrader extracted the files to the root folder instead of the /forum folder. Maybe you can check that.

PS: The site seems a bit slow to load the pages.

Omg I think that might be what happened!... Will let you know. Thank you

13 minutes ago, Cloud 9 said:

I was just about to ask the same about the size, also what/where/how the backups are being done ? 3 days seems a bit excessive 

the only way to back up is via FTP. It's not the total size that takes so long it's the fact that there are many files.  1 Million+ images.

1 minute ago, superj707 said:

the only way to back up is via FTP. It's not the total size that takes so long it's the fact that there are many files.  1 Million+ images.

Thats not a problem. You can just tar the public_html folder, and then download the tar file.

1 minute ago, Cloud 9 said:

Can you not ssh in and backup locally or backup to a local raid unit ? That is much faster than ftp

it's a long story. I've had many issues with backup. Bought a co-located QNAP for dedicated back ups only to find host filled QNAP with personal files. It's an ongoing problem that is not yet been resolved. Right now my only back up option is 3 days of download to personal PC. It's really rough.

my site is a TOTAL MESS ... I can't even post in the forums. I'm starting feel like I am in full crisis mode. I don't know what to do. I worked 9  years to build up this traffic. I feel like this is not going to be good for me or my site.

With a failed auto upgrade, I would download the full package from the client area and upload that. That should restore everything like it needs to be regarding the file system. 

3 days of downtime won’t kill the traffic you built up over the last years. There might be a temporary drop, but as long as everything gets back up again, the search engines will figure out that this was just a temporary issue. 

1 minute ago, opentype said:

With a failed auto upgrade, I would download the full package from the client area and upload that. That should restore everything like it needs to be regarding the file system. 

3 days of downtime won’t kill the traffic you built up over the last years. There might be a temporary drop, but as long as everything gets back up again, the search engines will figure out that this was just a temporary issue. 

thanks opentype. I'll admit I am feeling a bit in a panic. It's good to remember to be calm.  I tried what you said but it didn't help.

3 hours ago, superj707 said:

I never download images and stuff from my sites before upgrading. I just back-up the database. I might be wrong - but thats all I have done lately, and that don't take so much time..

Hit this a bit late, but I have a couple of things I do that really help.  Sure I have tons of backups, but this simple way is always foolproof.

I keep a zipped copy of my most recent working IPS version on my home computer in case of a pinch.  I name the folder with the version.  Then you can just put back all the old versions files and import a phpadmin exported database with drop tables.  (Any extras left from the new version aren't recognized.)  Thus you have the old version back entirely.   One that you know works right.    You could have been back up in 10 minutes. Support even on a good day takes longer than this,  Then you could have attempted the upgrade again, but the usual way.  But then again, we don't have the external cache tools anymore if needed,.  Hmmmm....  Would the new IPS handle this?

Archived