4.1.12.1 totally destroyed my site!!

SJ77

Actually not sure if it was 4.1.12.1 or the option in the ACP to transfer update files without downloading first - OR BOTH

For the first time ever I used the PHP OpenSSL feature in the ACP to try and auto update. I checked SFTP and put in the credentials. (I thought this would be easier-- man was I wrong)

It instantly destroyed my site. White pages only. See the PHP OpenSSl jacked up all the permissions on my files. Changed them to 600 which won't work with the installer (or anything else)

I was manually fixing permissions 1 at a time until the installer finally was able to finish only to find out that after upgrading, many pages on my site are totally destroyed. Errors on almost every page.

Tried to use support tab in ACP. Going through the steps leads to a fatal error white screen. Everything is RUINED!!!

I have a support ticket out but so far my site is totally offline and has been since about 4:00 PST.

For now I would use caution before

• upgrading to 4.1.12.1
  • using the option to auto transfer files without downloading via ACP

totall offline.JPG

27 minutes ago, superj707 said:

fatal error white screen

check your server logs, if you recently made a server change and now errors are happening I would not think its IPS. it would be a server configuration.

28 minutes ago, superj707 said:
  • upgrading to 4.1.12.1
  • using the option to auto transfer files without downloading via ACP

also im on 4.1.12.1 and dont have issues like this and I have OpenSSL enabled/setup

auto transfer files? are you meaning the auto updater? when you use that it downloads the files directly to the server, to the appropriate locations, then directs you to the /admin/upgrade page

With respect, it probably isn't an issue with the update itself - otherwise everyone would be experiencing the same issue. It'll be something to do with the server configuration.

I'd be interested to know what caused the issue once it is resolved, though.

4 hours ago, superj707 said:

yeah, it's the upgrade. I didn't make any server changes believe me.

also, yes the auto updater.  ftp openssl works great. It's the SFTP option that isn't working.

have you tried either switching back to FTP or manually uploading the files and upgrading?

even just reuploading to make sure it didnt get partial upgrade files?

9 hours ago, superj707 said:

yeah, it's the upgrade. I didn't make any server changes believe me.

also, yes the auto updater.  ftp openssl works great. It's the SFTP option that isn't working.

I use SFTP and it updated fine in my end. I always backup my site prior to an update, thought.

6 hours ago, CalvinK said:

With respect, it probably isn't an issue with the update itself - otherwise everyone would be experiencing the same issue. It'll be something to do with the server configuration.

I'd be interested to know what caused the issue once it is resolved, though.

Not necessarily, not everyone is configured exactly the same.

Same here, I upgraded test site first then the live. I do get so tired of broken themes with updates though. I don't see any of mine broken but it is one reason I have not bought any since 4.0 was released. 

I always do the long way and upload ALL the files with filezilla and then run the upgrade. Why fix it if it ain't broke ^_^

1 minute ago, superj707 said:

It's the extraction step with the auto uploader that I think broke everything. Jacked up all my permissions

image.png

Did you report it in the bug tracker or open a ticket so they could take a look ? I used the auto upgrader and all was good but have no themes other than default and only 3 simple hook plugins

12 minutes ago, Cloud 9 said:

Did you report it in the bug tracker or open a ticket so they could take a look ? I used the auto upgrader and all was good but have no themes other than default and only 3 simple hook plugins

this thing changes permissions!!

Just now, The Dark Wizard said:

You should submit a critical ticket if you haven't and reference this post.

I have 2 going.. yet my site has been destroyed all weekend. Its a holiday weekend so I'm not sure anyone is around to help. :(

Just my luck, such timing for this to happen.

2 minutes ago, superj707 said:

I have 2 going.. yet my site has been destroyed all weekend. Its a holiday weekend so I'm not sure anyone is around to help. :(

Just my luck, such timing for this to happen.

I noticed that your board is in the /forum folder. What was expected to appear in the Home Page?

There should be no need for a disaster at all, simply restore your full backup that you took prior to upgrade and waala, your site is up and running again.

Then upgrade normally by uploading a full file set from the client area. The auto upgrader doesn't work in 100% of all cases, as there are many server/hosting configurations that come into play, it works for the majority of them without issue though, but it won't work on all in some cases due to custom configurations.

3 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

I noticed that your board is in the /forum folder. What was expected to appear in the Home Page?

the index is in the forum folder. I get one thing on my phone and another thing on a desktop. I don't know what is going on at this point.

1 minute ago, Rhett said:

There should be no need for a disaster at all, simply restore your full backup that you took prior to upgrade and waala, your site is up and running again.

Then upgrade normally by uploading a full file set from the client area. The auto upgrader doesn't work in 100% of all cases, as there are many server/hosting configurations that come into play, it works for the majority of them without issue though, but it won't work on all in some cases due to custom configurations.

Hi Rhett, thank you.  just so you know it takes over 3 days to back up files on my site. I did make a backup of the DB and restoring it doesn't help. Something else is wrong.

There have been some replies to my support ticket just more slowly than normal. I am hoping someone will be able to get to me with a solution soon.

19 minutes ago, superj707 said:

the index is in the forum folder. I get one thing on my phone and another thing on a desktop. I don't know what is going on at this point.

I noticed you have the /forum/admin folder and the /admin/.

Im thinking the auto upgrader extracted the files to the root folder instead of the /forum folder. Maybe you can check that.

PS: The site seems a bit slow to load the pages.

Archived