4.1.12 - Preview Post suggestion

pilotguy

I had to do some asking around to finally find the preview post button that was added.

I was looking for an actual "Preview Post" button beside the Post Topic and Cancel buttons.  This is where the average end user is used to seeing these things and will look.  As it stands right now I would have to write a small tutorial on this button just so people would know where it is.

Might I suggest you change this to a larger labelled button next to the Submit Topic and Cancel buttons?  It would improve visibility an go from something far from obvious and intuitive to being very obvious and extremely intuitive.

Cheers.

I agree, my users are not going to realize that this new icon represents "Preview Post" without being hit across the head with it.  It's so non-obvious if you are looking for a "Preview" button as most forums have.  And it should be near the "Submit Reply" button, since you'll be at the bottom of the editor window when you finish composing (especially if you are writing a longer post, and more especially if the editor window has expanded vertically with any significance).  And, in my opinion, it is related to submitting the post, since the first thing many people will want to do is preview the post before submitting.

If anyone wants to do another plugin that specifically invokes the new IPS Preview via a button outside of the editor itself, then the following JS code will do it (tested against new topic and reply to topic)

<script type="text/javascript">
	function invokePreview() {
		var x = $("textarea[data-role='contentEditor']").attr("name");
		var i = CKEDITOR.instances[x];
		i.execCommand('ipsPreview');
	}
</script>

While a button next to 'submit' makes sense for posting comments/replies, it's limited to only those situations. We needed a solution that works for all editors in the suite, whether it's a reply box, or a form field in the AdminCP, or any of the other places we use the full editor ^_^ 

4 minutes ago, Rikki said:

While a button next to 'submit' makes sense for posting comments/replies, it's limited to only those situations. We needed a solution that works for all editors in the suite, whether it's a reply box, or a form field in the AdminCP, or any of the other places we use the full editor ^_^ 

99.9% of the content generated on my forum is in the form of regular forum posts.  How about adding the word "Preview" as part of that preview icon in the editor?  I'd still want a separate "Preview Post" button next to "Submit Reply". 

Archived