Version 4.2

Martin1980

I know most developers don't like to talk about upcoming release dates, however I'm scheduling the release of my forum and I am sure if I have to wait for 4.2 or just start with the 4.x version (member interaction will be a huge part of my community). 

4.2 will have a LOT of changes and many apps/plugins will be broken surely. You dont want to spend the first times of your community fixing/uninstalling things and receiving complains from your members

1 hour ago, SammyS said:

4.2 will have a LOT of changes and many apps/plugins will be broken surely. You dont want to spend the first times of your community fixing/uninstalling things and receiving complains from your members

At this point why even bother doing it? Since this is always going to be the case; increased security (by way of having the latest update) always compromises convenience.

It comes down to this: finding the right balance of third-party items that are updated fairly quickly AND give your site the things you want them to do.

If you are burdened by third-party items being out of date after updating the core software then you need to improve your strategy for updating, rely on fewer third-party items, or use a miraculous software provider that makes all of these things easy and perfect.

Overall, I'd say get IPS now but make sure you are comfortable with waiting to get 4.2 until all of your third-party items are good to go. Otherwise, wait until 4.2 drops and your third-party items are all good to go.

39 minutes ago, Simon Woods said:

At this point why even bother doing it? Since this is always going to be the case; increased security (by way of having the latest update) always compromises convenience.

It comes down to this: finding the right balance of third-party items that are updated fairly quickly AND give your site the things you want them to do.

If you are burdened by third-party items being out of date after updating the core software then you need to improve your strategy for updating, rely on fewer third-party items, or use a miraculous software provider that makes all of these things easy and perfect.

Overall, I'd say get IPS now but make sure you are comfortable with waiting to get 4.2 until all of your third-party items are good to go. Otherwise, wait until 4.2 drops and your third-party items are all good to go.

Ill wait until 4.2.1 being released. This is a mayor release, which occurs only once or twice a year. If I open my forum I want to be busy posting, inviting, chatting, doing business, managing social media accounts, you know. In my case there are at least 200 potencial members waiting my forum to be open, so I want to offert the best and after open it dont bother about technical issues

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Rikki said:

4.2 is some way off; we're still working on the 4.1 line right now. You could wait if you want to, but if you always wait for the next big release, you'll never get started ^_^ 

Yup, that's something to think about. However, the current member interaction of IPB 4.1 is not very friendly.. I have to make this decision. :rofl:

35 minutes ago, Martin1980 said:

Yup, that's something to think about. However, the current member interaction of IPB 4.1 is not very friendly.. I have to make this decision. :rofl:

Can you be more specific on "current member interaction"?

What else are you looking for

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, Martin1980 said:

Fall / winter 2016? ^_^ 

Why you need 4.2. ?  

IPS does at the moment a good job with 4.1.x with a lot of improvements as well fixing and more - i think it does not matter if there is 4.1..... or 4.2.....  

Specially that there is no road map or similar and i think it is also not really needed - as long as the software is up to date - you can also say for example php7 support 4.2 but it makes no sense

• Management

I would guess closer to the holidays, perhaps shortly after. We have frozen our roadmap as of 4.1.14 to focus entirely on further stability, give our marketplace authors a much needed "break" from our intense release schedule and get an automated testing platform further off the ground and do some internal tidying. We'll then begin the next chapter in the fall. 

• Management
On 7/20/2016 at 4:44 AM, RevengeFNF said:

@Lindy just to clarify, you are saying we will have 4.2 after the holidays and then the next chapter fall this year?

This fast releases were very exciting, but i understand the need to calm down for a bit :thumbsup:

That seems like the most likely scenario - but don't quote me. 

On 19.7.2016 at 11:41 PM, Lindy said:

We have frozen our roadmap as of 4.1.14 to focus entirely on further stability, give our marketplace authors a much needed "break" from our intense release schedule and get an automated testing platform further off the ground and do some internal tidying. We'll then begin the next chapter in the fall. 

Just to clarify; you'll still do 4.1.15, maybe 4.1.16 etc. to further fix bugs present in the bug tracker after 4.1.14? But the difference being that you'll not implement any new features and the release will come less frequently (maybe once a month?) and only focus on stability?

8 hours ago, TSP said:

Just to clarify; you'll still do 4.1.15, maybe 4.1.16 etc. to further fix bugs present in the bug tracker after 4.1.14? But the difference being that you'll not implement any new features and the release will come less frequently (maybe once a month?) and only focus on stability?

This is how I read it. Also to include security updates.

Archived