IPS 4 Integration: Promote and Sweep

Joel R

I'd like to suggest the following two functions as integration among the apps, so admins have at least some sort of barebone cross-functionality:

• PROMOTE: The same promote as in IPB 3, where you cross-promote a post's content from one app to another app (IP.Blogs, IP.Pages, IP.Board).  For example: you promote a post in IP.Board to an article in IP.Pages.  
  • SWEEP: Where you aggregate and sweep a post's image attachments or file attachments to IP.Gallery or IP.Downloads, respectively.  For example: you sweep the image attachments from a post in IP.Board to an album in IP.Gallery.  

I like both these recommendations.  I have several forum topics that would make excellent blog entries, for example. Promoting a topic to an Article is the more common use -- and I have need for that one also.  To expand on the second recommendation, I'd like to be able to sweep the pictures in an Article, and create a corresponding Gallery and slideshow.

• 4 months later...

I'd like to bump my post because

• I need this feature.  
  • Lots of other people need this feature.
  • This feature was in IPB v3.
  • This feature is expected in IPS v4.

And while my above reasoning for these features are utterly sound and compelling (especially in bullet point format), there's also:

• My topic is the only one that addresses larger suite-wide integration of non-textual content like attachments, images, or files.
  • Cross-publishing content across apps can be a powerful method to display content in a better medium.
  • And lastly, I've given you two catchy names (admittedly, IPS did come up with "promote" on their own), which will make for a great news article by Charles.

• Management

Which feature specifically are you looking for sooner than later? Cross app promotion is something that will likely happen with an engagement release such as 4.2. I'm working on getting promoting topic to article done soon, however. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/19/2016 at 9:02 AM, kmk said:

Will work for blog entries too?

If IPS does this correctly, they should offer cross-promotion from any app's content to another app (IP.Blog -> IP.Board; Status Updates -> to IP.Pages; whatever combination you want).  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Lindy (or anyone who can answer):

If we just copy-pasted forum posts into blogs, how similar would that effect be to promoting a forum post into a blog with blog integration? 

I ask because I'm torn between waiting for the feature and just doing it manually. I do not mind the extra manual work, however I don't want somehow to be missing something critical and bloggy with the cut/paste method.

Thanks. Serious question by the way.

I'm not Lindy (although I wish I was as amaaaazing as him :)) but I would encourage you to keep doing what you're doing until IPS provides a definitive update or release on this suggestion.  

For example, they may only implement a promote Forum post to Pages article, and exclude Blogs from the feature.  

Yes indeed, I remember literally waiting 3-4 years for 4.0 to come out in the first place and planning my life around that. Not complaining, but literally that's what happened and I waited a few more years longer than I expected. By then I had a different career entirely and the plans needed to change. 

But just using logic and common sense, I imagine nothing would really be lost or missing, especially since 4.x has such a solid text editor (which is part of why I was waiting so long).

It's just kind of funny to walk up to my forum finally and get started only to see that I'm still "waiting for 4.0". However, I'm glad that doing a good job is important to them rather than use artificial deadlines where they release ready or not. 

I do worry about inconsistencies though, if promoted blog posts come out in a significantly different format.

On 2/3/2017 at 5:17 PM, Joel R said:

If IPS does this correctly, they should offer cross-promotion from any app's content to another app (IP.Blog -> IP.Board; Status Updates -> to IP.Pages; whatever combination you want).  

It's a start.  

• 3 months later...
On 11/03/2017 at 3:03 AM, Lindy said:

Hi @Lindy this new "Copy to Database" is kinda broken.

It no longer keeps the comments from a database/forum thread if you use "Copy to Database". It makes the copied thread it's own separate article with it's own separate comments. And if you've set the article category to make a new thread, it then creates what is a "duplicate" forum thread.

In 3x you could make a database entry, create a forum topic, then promote the forum topic into an article, and it would all be the same set of comments no matter where it was being viewed or commented on.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/07/2017 at 4:00 AM, Mack_au said:

Hi @Lindy this new "Copy to Database" is kinda broken.

It no longer keeps the comments from a database/forum thread if you use "Copy to Database". It makes the copied thread it's own separate article with it's own separate comments. And if you've set the article category to make a new thread, it then creates what is a "duplicate" forum thread.

In 3x you could make a database entry, create a forum topic, then promote the forum topic into an article, and it would all be the same set of comments no matter where it was being viewed or commented on.

Is there any update on this feature? It's extremely frustrating that there is no longer full linked compatibility from database to forum to news article. It makes my site look empty when frontpage articles no longer have any comments compared to previous versions where 100's of comments could be seen on the frontpage, in the forum or on a database entry.

• 2 weeks later...

My Forum is version 4.0.8.1 and has been going down frequently. I got this from my server company, who have bent over backwards to help me

We would like to begin by informing you that we have now resolved your experienced issue and your website is now loading with no further difficulties.

Additionally, we found that the issue is caused by a Backend PHP Fatal error that your database generates periodically, more information can be found in the following error log:

[Sun Sep 03 11:10:18.408405 2017] [lsapi:error] [pid 10840:tid 140555061282560] [client 40.77.167.134:43840] [host roofcleaninginstitute.org] Backend fatal error: PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'IPS\\Db\\Exception' with message 'Prepared statement needs to be re-prepared' in /home/roofclea/public_html/system/Db/Db.php:389\nStack trace:\n#0 /home/roofclea/public_html/system/Db/Db.php(622): IPS\\_Db->preparedQuery('REPLACE INTO `c...', Array)\n#1 /home/roofclea/public_html/system/Session/Front.php(274): IPS\\_Db->replace('core_sessions', Array, true)\n#2 [internal function]: IPS\\Session\\_Front->write('s91r5sbhqhiuprb...', '')\n#3 {main}\n  thrown in /home/roofclea/public_html/system/Db/Db.php on line 389\n

We ran a Database repair in order to resolve this, however, we would advise you to contact the script vendor and report the issue as they may be able to provide more assistence with the issue.

Considering the information above, if we can be of any further assistance please, do not hesitate to update us again.

We remain 24/7 at your immediate disposal!

Kind Regards,

43 minutes ago, chris tucker said:

My Forum is version 4.0.8.1 and has been going down frequently. I got this from my server company, who have bent over backwards to help me

We would like to begin by informing you that we have now resolved your experienced issue and your website is now loading with no further difficulties.

Additionally, we found that the issue is caused by a Backend PHP Fatal error that your database generates periodically, more information can be found in the following error log:

[Sun Sep 03 11:10:18.408405 2017] [lsapi:error] [pid 10840:tid 140555061282560] [client 40.77.167.134:43840] [host roofcleaninginstitute.org] Backend fatal error: PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'IPS\\Db\\Exception' with message 'Prepared statement needs to be re-prepared' in /home/roofclea/public_html/system/Db/Db.php:389\nStack trace:\n#0 /home/roofclea/public_html/system/Db/Db.php(622): IPS\\_Db->preparedQuery('REPLACE INTO `c...', Array)\n#1 /home/roofclea/public_html/system/Session/Front.php(274): IPS\\_Db->replace('core_sessions', Array, true)\n#2 [internal function]: IPS\\Session\\_Front->write('s91r5sbhqhiuprb...', '')\n#3 {main}\n  thrown in /home/roofclea/public_html/system/Db/Db.php on line 389\n

We ran a Database repair in order to resolve this, however, we would advise you to contact the script vendor and report the issue as they may be able to provide more assistence with the issue.

Considering the information above, if we can be of any further assistance please, do not hesitate to update us again.

We remain 24/7 at your immediate disposal!

Kind Regards,

Why are you posting this here?  This has nothing to do with the suggestion.

1.  You should upgrade to the latest version

2.  You should disable any third-party plugins or applications

Archived