System Upgrade Banner - Red Top

ZakRhyno

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sNj6LN4vvwVXJzN0NzeW5OMFE/view?usp=sharing

I can't attach pictures for some reason so I had to hyperlink it from My Google Drive. But it would be ask of IPS if there can be a place to dismiss the red banner. I know about updating is important and all but current I won't be doing such a thing for a few weeks. But it poping up all the time does seem to cause a issue in the front end. I don't mind as much as in the back end. Is there no way to dismiss this so that it will stop showing up in the front end?

There was a topic about this a while back and IIRC IPS said they won't allow dismissal the red banner cause they aren't going to be responsible if your site gets compromised. The red banner is telling you that there is a security issue with the software and you need to update, therefore it shouldn't be dismissed.

As I said previously on the same topic. You shouldn't turn your head at security issues for your site, I certainly wouldn't be impressed if that's your attitude towards such things, specially when you can hold private data.

Get it upgraded!

3 hours ago, Mark H said:

When it is a "Security Release", the banner cannot be dismissed, I'm afraid. You will need to upgrade to remove it.

When it is just a normal "point-release", then the banner can be dismissed.

Current my sub has laps so I can't upgrade as this point in time. Woulnd't it be better to allow this to be change so that is base maybe on your sub being current are not?

3 hours ago, Dean_ said:

As I said previously on the same topic. You shouldn't turn your head at security issues for your site, I certainly wouldn't be impressed if that's your attitude towards such things, specially when you can hold private data.

Get it upgraded!

@Dean_ I don't know what have said are such, but my attitude towards the issue is not security being the problem but the banner being on the front in, I don't mind it being on the ACP and every site is different so you can't judge others when you know nothing about others, yes I know about upgrade and know the ins and out of it all. But that is not your concern.

All of these red or gray banners are for your own good. Don't know why's there so much dissatisfaction around it. Only admins see those. Other hand, when something happens to your Suite people are asking "why i didn't get notified about new security release" or something. But it's only my humble opinion ^_^ 

Some people stay on earlier releases because they must for what their site needs. The largest example being 3.x (though I don't know if they are alerted about 'security patches' as it should be evident they're not upgrading if still running it), but there are some 4.x users who would rather stay as is and use the plugins and themes that work on that release, than risking updating and losing basic functionality they need. This isn't IPS' fault perhaps, just that some plugins / apps / themes only work on some releases etc. I don't think it's really IPS' duty to chastise users for failure to upgrade. Just common reminders would be understandable. ie: an email once a month, or this, but it can be dismissed and re-appears on the 1st of every month for admins. etc. 

3 hours ago, Lyonharted said:

Some people stay on earlier releases because they must for what their site needs. The largest example being 3.x (though I don't know if they are alerted about 'security patches' as it should be evident they're not upgrading if still running it), but there are some 4.x users who would rather stay as is and use the plugins and themes that work on that release, than risking updating and losing basic functionality they need. This isn't IPS' fault perhaps, just that some plugins / apps / themes only work on some releases etc. I don't think it's really IPS' duty to chastise users for failure to upgrade. Just common reminders would be understandable. ie: an email once a month, or this, but it can be dismissed and re-appears on the 1st of every month for admins. etc. 

I don't think they are chastising anyone. In many of the messages from IPS on this subject they have expressed, many times over, that it is on the front end because most admins don't log into the ACP often. If your site is running smoothly you shouldn't need to. Also, they do it for end user safety. They have had many tickets that a community got hacked because they are running a version of the suite that is out of date. This is to assist in preventing that as well as limit the amount of vulnerable users.

"Don't forget your umbrella" when it's cloudy out is the same thing as "you should upgrade, you're vulnerable" when you are running an outdated version of the software.

I've removed the most recent reply to this topic.

If you know your way around the templating system and you decide one day you want to add a custom CSS rule to hide the upgrade notices, while this isn't something we can really stop you from doing, I will say rather bluntly that you would be very ill-advised to do so. Not only will this hide your current security update notice, it will cause all future notices to be hidden as well, regardless of how critical (or minor) they may be.

Please also be well aware that we do not allow the posting of instructions on how to dismiss security notices, for reasons that really should be pretty obvious.

• Management

This has been covered previously and while we're open to feedback for just about anything, we're not particularly interested in feedback on how to make our products less secure or to make it easy for you to procrastinate about security updates. This was an issue in IPB 3 -- people ignored the big ACP banner and security notifications, then threw us under the proverbial bus when their site was hacked. We've clearly made it more obvious in IPS4. It's on the front-end as well because not everyone checks their ACP every day -- many clients have stated they're happy about this. 

As mentioned, you can CSS this out if you feel so inclined - but at that point, it's on you, not us. ^_^

Archived