KroCan Support Thread

Dylan Riggs

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2nd person purchased!

First of all, before I bombard you, thanks for the great theme

0160424155116.jpg

• the biggest selling point of the theme is the side bar, judging from the screenshots you provided, I thought we could make it siting there static, would be nice to see an option for that
  • again the side bar, when it pops, it can block content page for site that has larger width, my suggestion is have two modes
    1, auto shift the content to left when sidebar pops, so it will still be center of background
    2, just make the side panel attached to the right side of content, so the background is only showing on the left side, or if content width is small enough, some part of the right
  • while i do like the different theme color of side bar vs content page, you might want to work on a different set of css for side bar, as you can see, dark color font work perfect on the content page but when the same style applied to the sidebar, it's not so visible
  • menu bar hover button highlight has quite a large delay
  • when there are sub menu within a menu button, display a small down arrow, just like the sub menu bar does
  • the sub menu of sub menu button does not auto pop content when hovered
  • I see you have a lot of !important properties in css, while I don't have problem with that but some people who like to do easy edits on the theme would just drop a style there and overwrite with !important
  • this is the first theme I have seen that has styles written in custom.css, the problem with that is whatever you wrote in there it won't get updated in the future, since theme upgrade won't overwrite that css file
  • all the image uploads, background, side show, logo, would be cool if you can provide us option to just input a link in conjunction to upload a single file
    because I use custom php file to auto rotate image
  • give an option to make the content / side bar / menu semi transparent (people who dislike it can just set it to 100%)
  • when you hover the avatar in sidebar, the hover card is shown under / blocked by the side bar
  • as your request: the install process is smooth, but at first I uploaded the whole /upload folder, maybe you can clarify that a little bit
54 minutes ago, Eudemon said:

2nd person purchased!

First of all, before I bombard you, thanks for the great theme

0160424155116.jpg

• the biggest selling point of the theme is the side bar, judging from the screenshots you provided, I thought we could make it siting there static, would be nice to see an option for that  -- This is planned in an update soon.
  • again the side bar, when it pops, it can block content page for site that has larger width, my suggestion is have two modes
    1, auto shift the content to left when sidebar pops, so it will still be center of background
    2, just make the side panel attached to the right side of content, so the background is only showing on the left side, or if content width is small enough, some part of the right

The sidebar overlapping content is intentional as that's the nature of the off-canvas menu. However, I will put in an option for those that don't like the overlap with one of the suggestions you mentioned      

• while i do like the different theme color of side bar vs content page, you might want to work on a different set of css for side bar, as you can see, dark color font work perfect on the content page but when the same style applied to the sidebar, it's not so visible  -- The sidebar 'should' change the CSS of the widgets, if it's not changing a few of them, can you show me? We can discuss via PM
  • menu bar hover button highlight has quite a large delay -- Will take off the delay, I wasn't so much a fan of it either, but no one provided any feedback regarding the menu's
  • when there are sub menu within a menu button, display a small down arrow, just like the sub menu bar does. Icon is missing, I'll fix that with next update, thanks for the catch!
  • the sub menu of sub menu button does not auto pop content when hovered  -- Not sure what you mean, can you show me? If you're talking about the 3rd level menu, it's click based like IPS default. I can change it if you wish. I personally like clicking vs's hovering.
  • I see you have a lot of !important properties in css, while I don't have problem with that but some people who like to do easy edits on the theme would just drop a style there and overwrite with !important  -- IPS was picky, you aren't supposed to use !important tags in custom.css as it overrides theres by default, but I had such a headache when coding as many of their elements required it... so I just started to include the !important with most edits
  • this is the first theme I have seen that has styles written in custom.css, the problem with that is whatever you wrote in there it won't get updated in the future, since theme upgrade won't overwrite that css file  -- All CSS is supposed to go into custom.css as noted by the IPS and other developers. Moving it into actual theme files will overwrite in upgrades, returnting it to default IPB. That's the intent, meaning it won't get reverted back to default IPS.
  • all the image uploads, background, side show, logo, would be cool if you can provide us option to just input a link in conjunction to upload a single file
    because I use custom php file to auto rotate image. -- Adding options in next update, thanks ^_^
  • give an option to make the content / side bar / menu semi transparent (people who dislike it can just set it to 100%) -- Willl add the option, but this theme was meant to be light, I'm converting to a dark theme. Once that's done, I'll update both to support transparency via theme option so it caters to that.
  • when you hover the avatar in sidebar, the hover card is shown under / blocked by the side bar  -- Thanks, just fixed it
  • as your request: the install process is smooth, but at first I uploaded the whole /upload folder, maybe you can clarify that a little bit -- Thanks, will update

See your bullets in red. :-)

Thanks!

All CSS is supposed to go into custom.css as noted by the IPS and other developers. Moving it into actual theme files will overwrite in upgrades, returnting it to default IPB. That's the intent, meaning it won't get reverted back to default IPS.

okay I am confused now, I thought custom.css is for the member who want to make change to the theme but don't want to re-do the change whenever the developer release new update. which mean if you want to make change to one of the style in the custom.css as the developer, on the update it will either overwrite the whole css or does not change at all, former will wipe out all member's custom change, latter doesn't update the theme at all

IPS was picky, you aren't supposed to use !important tags in custom.css as it overrides theres by default, but I had such a headache when coding as many of their elements required it... so I just started to include the !important with most edits

with the above problem, I believe custom.css styles are taken priority when all css files are being rendered, so if you were to move the styles to other css files, all those !important will prevent the changes being made

Not sure what you mean, can you show me? If you're talking about the 3rd level menu, it's click based like IPS default. I can change it if you wish. I personally like clicking vs's hovering.

was just talking about sub menu of 2nd lvl menu doesn't pop 3rd lvl menu when hovered, but it doesn't really matter that much, so don't worry about it

The sidebar 'should' change the CSS of the widgets, if it's not changing a few of them, can you show me? We can discuss via PM

see screenshot, for example, color of calendar time is hard to see

also, adding second or more widget will cause double scroll menu, and some items there has layout issue (in this case, the blog entries)

this problem affect all widgets, to reproduce, pop sidebar -> add widget -> drag drop two or more to the sidebar

20160424171904.jpg

26 minutes ago, Eudemon said:

okay I am confused now, I thought custom.css is for the member who want to make change to the theme but don't want to re-do the change whenever the developer release new update. which mean if you want to make change to one of the style in the custom.css as the developer, on the update it will either overwrite the whole css or does not change at all, former will wipe out all member's custom change, latter doesn't update the theme at all

Custom.css is for editing any theme that has differences than ips default.

If you make any change to ips default then they should be committed to custom.css or in the custom location (as you noticed, I created a few more to organize the vast amount of changes I made)

How this works is if you edit the stock html or css, when ips pushes an update out that changes the html or css, it will overwrite whatever changes you've made. Anything in custom or custom.css does not get touched during upgrades. You are supposed to keep html edits to a minimum, and if you need to add functionality, it is best practice to create an html file and parse it in the template where it needs to go.... that way if an upgrade removes the template, you simply parse it back rather than rewriting it from scratch.

The same is said about the !important tag  I'll clean it up a little more when I have time,  but it doesn't effect anything. If you or any user needs to modify the template, the changes are to be made in custom.css which is the only  place where they are located, and most will be required to overwrite ips default anyways.

Will look into the sidebar code, can you provide me a link to look at yours?

Thanks

I bought this theme as I really think this theme has potential. However, there's a few things that are buggy or incoherent:

• The placement of the main menu does not take the logo width in consideration, resulting in an overlapping header;
  • The red-salmonish color of the menu items doesn't fit the theme. I'd prefer a dark blue menu item or a better accent color;
  • The sidebar doesn't apply the theme CSS to its widgets that well. Many of the standard and third party widgets don't get the formatting they should have;
  • The read/unread indicator for question forums doesn't have an outline, making it invisible on the white background when the category is read;
  • Closing the sidebar on mobile devices can be a bit tough sometimes, or maybe I just have big fingers.
  • The search bar in the sidebar does not apply the theme CSS;
  • Some slight opacity might give the sidebar a bit more of a 'hover' feel, perhaps something like 80%;
  • The shape of the menu dropdowns doesn't fit the theme in my opinion.

Other than these points I really like the theme and I believe it's worth the $25.

2 hours ago, razz said:

I bought this theme as I really think this theme has potential. However, there's a few things that are buggy or incoherent:

• The placement of the main menu does not take the logo width in consideration, resulting in an overlapping header; Can you give me an example?
  • The red-salmonish color of the menu items doesn't fit the theme. I'd prefer a dark blue menu item or a better accent color; This is more personal preference, however.  You are free to also adjust those colors to your own liking. That said, I'll create a theme option to control the color of Main navigation
  • The sidebar doesn't apply the theme CSS to its widgets that well. Many of the standard and third party widgets don't get the formatting they should have; Currently working on more compatibility on widgets. Many of them use different CSS elements, and unless I know of them, I can't fix them. If you can link me some examples, I'll gladly provide more customization's so they fit.
  • The read/unread indicator for question forums doesn't have an outline, making it invisible on the white background when the category is read; Fixed for next release
  • Closing the sidebar on mobile devices can be a bit tough sometimes, or maybe I just have big fingers. I haven't had any issues and those that tested didn't mention any issues with it. Can you tell me what phone you have so I can check compatibility with it?
  • The search bar in the sidebar does not apply the theme CSS; Fixed for next release
  • Some slight opacity might give the sidebar a bit more of a 'hover' feel, perhaps something like 80%; If I get more requests for this, I'll add it as a theme option, otherwise I can provide a small tid bit of CSS you can apply to make it 0.8 for the opacity
  • The shape of the menu dropdowns doesn't fit the theme in my opinion. Which menu's do you not like?

Other than these points I really like the theme and I believe it's worth the $25.

See your points in Red.

Most of points that have been mentioned are more requests for the UI feel which is fine and is welcomed, but outside 2 or so points most aren't bug related so that's good news... I don't mind pushing that out, but I had around 5 individuals test the theme and none really offered much feedback or critiques like the off-canvas menu or color adjustments and so on. 

If those that purchase can provide examples via PM for the sidebar which is most important, that'll be the highest priority and that's one of the larger areas that I need to work on. Every site has so much different content and blocks, I have to see everything to fix everything if that makes sense.

For KroCan 1.0.1 here is what I plan to have modified:

1. Option to make sidebar menu static on right side or by moving content off page per Eudemon request
2. More widget compatibility via CSS. I've fixed a lot of them already for the dark background, but there may be a few 3rd party blocks that are edited and I'll have to use JS to alter it.
3. Main Navigation improvements to include:

• Fix of dropdown hover
  • Added dropdown arrow for items with dropdown & submenu
  • Changed dropdown look and feel so it's not as tacky looking per razz request
  • More compatibility for larger logo's

More theme options to include:

• Main navigation color
  • URL for background image and slide shows.
  • Off-canvas options for transparency

Finally, a few bug fixes such as the theme css not being carried over to the search menu and so on.

Thanks guys!

Couple more suggestions (tho they are not bugs so no need to prioritize)

1, On forum index page, forum with unread post has highlighted star icon, while read forum has empty star
but in sub forum page, it is reversed, topic with unread post has highlighted dot, while read topic which has your reply has highlighted star (this should be changed to empty star or empty dot with same color as the read forum empty star)
else it is extremely confusing

2, Add a scroll up to top icon (like how blue lagoon theme done it, the icon pops up after you scroll down one page of length)

46 minutes ago, Eudemon said:

Couple more suggestions (tho they are not bugs so no need to prioritize)

1, On forum index page, forum with unread post has highlighted star icon, while read forum has empty star
but in sub forum page, it is reversed, topic with unread post has highlighted dot, while read topic which has your reply has highlighted star (this should be changed to empty star or empty dot with same color as the read forum empty star)
else it is extremely confusing

2, Add a scroll up to top icon (like how blue lagoon theme done it, the icon pops up after you scroll down one page of length)

There are already theme options for #1. The teal blue is something that you can easily change. I left them different when I was testing the theme options only. When I release next version, I'll have that reverted back to the light blue (not teal blue)

You can include your own files in the custom directory - do that and leave custom.css for the endusers; in kinda sounds like you are doing that already with some of it.

So dump all that into krocan.css and stick it in the custom directory - otherwise end users have no way to save their modifications when they upgrade your theme as your custom.css file will over-write the end users.

10 minutes ago, Flitterkill said:

You can include your own files in the custom directory - do that and leave custom.css for the endusers; in kinda sounds like you are doing that already with some of it.

So dump all that into krocan.css and stick it in the custom directory - otherwise end users have no way to save their modifications when they upgrade your theme as your custom.css file will over-write the end users.

EDIT:

Wait, nevermind. I see what you're saying. You're talking about upgrades on the actual theme itself. Thanks, overlooked that part, so it makes sense.

Ahh, then you just solved a question I had. Never bothered to look at the method to find out for sure...

It appears the custom directory is read out in alphabetical order.

So you can name the file a-krocan.css or anything that would occur alphabetically before custom.css. All my theme work has coincidentally had css files beginning with the letter A or B so I never had the over-write problem. 

I'll bring this up in the dev area as a request to better parse out.

8 hours ago, Dylan Riggs said:

EDIT:

Wait, nevermind. I see what you're saying. You're talking about upgrades on the actual theme itself. Thanks, overlooked that part, so it makes sense.

hey... that's what I have been saying the whole time about custom.css... and you misunderstood it the whole time!

31 minutes ago, Eudemon said:

hey... that's what I have been saying the whole time about custom.css... and you misunderstood it the whole time!

No no, I got that part, it was how the CSS is loaded, and is why I put those changes in custom.css, if they were to be edited, they just needed to be found in custom.css

Also note, that 95% of the CSS in custom.css won't really be modified unless you're really modifying major elements of the design. I already put most other CSS in there own files because of t heme options and such.

Either way, when I push this out tomorrow, custom.css will be empty :p

Archived