why is search so bad?

sasiko

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
On 24.11.2016 at 2:23 AM, Ziggs said:

Native search in IPB is so terrible I don't even bother using it to find things on *THIS* very forum most of the time.  I just site-search http://invisionpower.com/forums/ via Google.  In my opinion it is pretty sad that Google does a better job of indexing the support forum than the support forum itself does.

Google Search and Google Search Engine are not enough as they cannot search through any page that Google.com cannot access. Means the content that is not available for guests will be never found. Additionally the Google search assumes that all public content of the project are indexed by Google and this assumption is not true for the most projects.

6 hours ago, maddog107_merged said:

Wow thats still pretty far away :( This should be way higher on the priority list. 

Lindy said in the second linked post "4.3 is certainly not a year away" and that was in January. Now of course Lindy could be lying (and TBF this is Lindy we're talking about :whistle:) but I've still got my fingers crossed that 4.2 has a much shorter lifespan than 4.1.

• Management
15 hours ago, Simon Woods said:

Lindy said in the second linked post "4.3 is certainly not a year away" and that was in January. Now of course Lindy could be lying (and TBF this is Lindy we're talking about :whistle:) but I've still got my fingers crossed that 4.2 has a much shorter lifespan than 4.1.

Hey! I say a lot of things. Just earlier I was telling someone in our staff chat "that Simon Woods on the forum guy seems alright." 

Oh, I see your point. 

Seriously though, 4.2 will indeed incur a shorter cycle than 4.1. IPS4 is a well oiled machine now. :) 

This is an important issue to me as well, so I'm disappointed that it's been pushed off for so long.  This is one of the main reasons I haven't been highly motivated to move my site to 4.x.  There are many great improvements in 4.x, and I'm excited to see everything that's in store for 4.2, but I'd be taking a step backwards with the quality of search results if I migrated my forum.  

My question is about the tags one can add to files, forum posts etc. I can type into the search the exact words of the tags and it never causes the respective thing to show up in results. Shouldn't tags make something more searchable?? Like key words. 

What are those tags even good for? SEO?

2 hours ago, Koper74 said:

Tags working quite good for us - of course you have to type tags in the "Search By tags"-field instead of the "Search term"-field.
What really sucks is that theres no AND-search when searching for two or more tags...

I really think an option for "search by tags" is an unnecessary complication.  Needs to be smarter on the back end and easier for user.

Firstly, it's hard to find "search by tags" option, secondly it's more steps that most won't take making tags nearly useless. Why can't tags be used to make the regular search smarter, enhancing search options and making tags much more useful?

• Tags should be included as part of the regular search index.
    • perhaps tags can be weighted a little less, allowing content in title or post to be prioritized verses a tag.
  • Get rid of search by tags options. Complexity is bad. Smart simplicity is good.

11 hours ago, superj707 said:

Get rid of search by tags options. Complexity is bad. Smart simplicity is good.

I must respectfully disagree, but this said I think it really hinges on how material is organized on a given website.  My colleagues and I use tags all the time, as it allows you to make a lot of material accessible in a freehand but very effective manner.  Tags are great for when you want to specify a search according to two different types of information - in my case, an author's name and a broader thematic topic.  You can't necessarily run effective searches for those kinds of combinations using phrases or keywords, which may provide more granularity to a search than one may want.

1 hour ago, liquidfractal said:

I must respectfully disagree, but this said I think it really hinges on how material is organized on a given website.  My colleagues and I use tags all the time, as it allows you to make a lot of material accessible in a freehand but very effective manner.  Tags are great for when you want to specify a search according to two different types of information - in my case, an author's name and a broader thematic topic.

Full ack! We combine tags with search terms all the time and create links on these searches making them accessible from 3rd party applications...
Btw: It would be nice to have autocomplete in "Search by tags"-field...

+1 for autocomplete. I don't know if it happens when using a closed system but it definitely should at the very least do so in that situation.

Also, I found searching by tag by clicking one thing on my page and it was easy to spot so I don't think it's hard to find at all. However, I would love to see it as an option in the drop-down filter alongside the apps.

8 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

I must respectfully disagree, but this said I think it really hinges on how material is organized on a given website.  My colleagues and I use tags all the time, as it allows you to make a lot of material accessible in a freehand but very effective manner.  Tags are great for when you want to specify a search according to two different types of information - in my case, an author's name and a broader thematic topic.  You can't necessarily run effective searches for those kinds of combinations using phrases or keywords, which may provide more granularity to a search than one may want.

WHOA.. Let's back up. I am in NO way suggesting we get rid of tags. I am suggesting we do MORE with tags. I want them integrated into the main search without having to choose "search by tags"

Suppose there is a tag "balloons" and I search the main site for "balloons", I want the content with that tag in my results! Right now it's not. 

3 hours ago, superj707 said:

WHOA.. Let's back up. I am in NO way suggesting we get rid of tags. I am suggesting we do MORE with tags. I want them integrated into the main search without having to choose "search by tags"

Suppose there is a tag "balloons" and I search the main site for "balloons", I want the content with that tag in my results! Right now it's not. 

Ahh, ok.  Misread you.  Sorry!

I do agree that Search by Tags shouldn't be concealed on the Seach page.  In fact, I think the Search page could be completely redesigned and reorganized, with bits of descriptive prose (like 1 line beneath a function) explaining how to use some of the search functions.  Some of my users get a bit frustrated with two Search buttons once they open up the advanced options.

If I understand you right (still on first coffee), you want to be able to simply enter "balloons" and get a list of all posts tagged "balloons" AND with "balloons in the main content, title, etc.  I do think combining tags in the main search can be useful, but should also be optional.  I would want to be able to search for material organized around the concept of "balloons" (the history of balloons, the Balloon Controversy in 19th Century German Idealism) without getting back every post with the word in it (I gave my kid a balloon yesterday).

And yes, +1 for autocomplete in the "Search by Tags" field.

Archived