the state of the Chat

Ocean West

congrats getting 4.1.9 out the door :D

just wanted to revisit the what is the state of the chat, what features are on the white board for this application and tentative target as to when we can appreciate an new and improved version?

the Chat which has largely not received much attention, and had forced me to abandon it I am now using Slack for a small group who meet up on Friday evenings. 

• inline attachments ( files and images )
  • fully responsive design ( something i have belabored many times before.)
  • native device apps ( all platforms )
  • multiple rooms / channels
  • notifications

• 2 months later...
On 2016-03-23 at 11:50 AM, Flitterkill said:

Moved on to RocketChat. Once I get my communities finally moved on to the 4 series will be looking at integration with IPS for auto-member login, etc.

Hey @Flitterkill, I've just completed integration of Rocket.Chat with IPS4 through an OAuth gateway for our community. I've submitted the integration for publication here in the Marketplace and will be writing up how to set up the Rocket.Chat integration once the file is accepted for publication (after the holiday weekend).

If you're eager to try it out on your own, you can download my integration directly from GitHub at https://github.com/wohali/ips4-oauth2-server/releases.

This should work fine, probably with Discord as well or anything else oauth2 (minus a few additions when needed)

If you are dumping this free in the marketplace be sure to throw up a tip link or somthing so you can afford to get an Oberheim Matrix synth and live it up for change :p

7 hours ago, PrettyPixels said:

I'm pretty interested in this. Could you please tell me if your integration shares the avatars of members, as well?

The integration publishes the avatar as part of the provided user profile, but not all OAuth applications consume that information in a meaningful fashion. As an example, Rocket.Chat does not. (It has special-cased avatar support for named OAuth providers like GitHub and Google+, sadly...)

6 hours ago, Flitterkill said:

This should work fine, probably with Discord as well or anything else oauth2 (minus a few additions when needed)

If you are dumping this free in the marketplace be sure to throw up a tip link or somthing so you can afford to get an Oberheim Matrix synth and live it up for change :p

Sadly, Discord only acts as an OAuth2 Server itself. It will not act as an OAuth2 client application, which is what you'd need to authenticate from IPS4 data. :(

I'd charge for it, except that the OAuth2 library I'm using is GPL2, and the IP.B v3.x OAuth2 server upon which I based it is also GPL2. As an open source developer I don't feel it's right to charge people for GPL code, even though I could do so. If you are suitably inspired to pay me for it, send me a PM and we can work something out.

5 hours ago, AtariAge said:

I'm also very interested in this integration, looking forward to learning more!

I'm about to start the support topic and post a detailed HOWTO walkthrough of integrating Rocket.Chat with IPS4. Both posts should be online within the hour.

Archived