Please allow admins to set All Activity as site default

chilihead

In acp an admin can set any stream as the site default except All Activity. Which is odd because a member can select this stream as their default. So as admin you have the choice of choosing a stream you don't want as the site default, or deselecting so there is none, in which case the quick link area is empty, meaning on mobile, the main link is empty. When all you want is to select All Activity.

Can you please allow All Activity to be selected as default?

Or a solution could be, if there is no default selected revert to All Activity, as that space should never be empty. So if admin has no default set, AA is shown as site default, and, if a member deselects a stream as default, AA is shown, unless they select one.

PS. When you are logged out it is empty if no default is selected. But, if you have the default set to any stream (Unread Content for example) All Activity is shown to guests. So this is also a problem for guests, All Activity should always be there as that is the "guest" stream, but it only shows if we select a default as a replacement of that stream, and not if nothing is selected. If we can select AA or or it reverts to it, problem solved for guests too.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IPS agrees that the empty space on mobile is a bug/oversight (report here), so if admins deselect a default it will revert to All Activity in the mobile menu (which is fine, same as an admin setting it) but... they do not agree it should appear there on the full site due to redundancy; it being in the main menu already. I was told by @Andy Millne to suggest this portion, so doing so. ^_^

First, it is not redundant, and we can choose to remove it from the main menu or move it if we wish. Also, users are trained to click on the right, VNC was there in 3.4, and the quick link is there in 4, but All Activity cannot appear there unless set by user. So redundancy in the menu should not be the reason All Activity cannot be set by admins.

So why can an individual user set All Activity as their default but the admin can't set it as the site's? On this site, I have AA as my own default. I want it on the right and that's what I want for my users as this stream has the most activity so I want this where they are used to clicking. If they want to change it to their own, "click", done.

But with a default deselected it is empty (I don't want another stream there only AA) unless they select one. Each member would have to click it as their default for it to appear there, and they may not even know it can appear there by saving. Simply have All Activity appear there when a default is deselected, just like happens on mobile (now, due to the fix posted). It is lacking since members instinctively click there.

If you really feel it is redundant, then let the admin choose and add the "Save as default" setting to AA instead of having it revert. But I don't see the issue with always having something in the area where members are used to clicking.

I want to start a new site but have AA as the default from the start but there is no way to do it. Thanks

Archived