Few issues with the Marketplace.

The.Reaper

Hi,
I feel the marketplace needs a freshen up, a few of the issues i have with it are.

• The 'Highest Rated' section of the front page only shows products for the older versions of IPB, personally this annoys me as i would like to be able to see what the most used products are for the newest version of the software.
  • The 'Most Downloaded' section of the front page also falls under the same problem as the previous point.
  • The categories are very hard to understand and i believe they should be renamed to help newer people to the software find new plugins and applications, the layout the older categories used were so much easier to understand.
  • Is there a way to add free applications and plugins to the manage purchases tab so we can see what applications we have/had on our boards in the worst case our forums are deleted.
  • I would like for applications and plugins that have been downloaded/purchased to be highlighted when searching through the marketplace.

These are just a few suggestions i can think of that would greatly improve my experience while looking through the marketplace.

• Management
On March 16, 2016 at 1:54 PM, The.Reaper said:

Hi,
I feel the marketplace needs a freshen up, a few of the issues i have with it are.

• The 'Highest Rated' section of the front page only shows products for the older versions of IPB, personally this annoys me as i would like to be able to see what the most used products are for the newest version of the software.

Great point - I'll work on this. 

• The 'Most Downloaded' section of the front page also falls under the same problem as the previous point.

Same as above.

• The categories are very hard to understand and i believe they should be renamed to help newer people to the software find new plugins and applications, the layout the older categories used were so much easier to understand.

We recently reorganized them for that same reason. Could you please be specific as to what you would like to see?

• Is there a way to add free applications and plugins to the manage purchases tab so we can see what applications we have/had on our boards in the worst case our forums are deleted.
  • I would like for applications and plugins that have been downloaded/purchased to be highlighted when searching through the marketplace.

These are just a few suggestions i can think of that would greatly improve my experience while looking through the marketplace.

Your last two suggestions are something I would really love to do. In my mind, the perfect scenario would be to tightly integrate the marketplace in the software to the point of versioning/updates, even direct installation. Obviously, that's a massive undertaking and would involve cooperation from the authors so it's not something we've fully addressed as of yet. In the short-term, we may be able to give you more interaction with what you've downloaded, I'll have to confer with devs -- regardless, that obviously would have no correlation to what you actually have installed, but it's a start. 

Once a week I am looking at marketplace to see new plugins. When a plugin could be useful for my community in near future, I put it on my plugin list.

But it is very hard (I think) to search to new files on marketplace.
I would like to run a search with these options : [No search term] + [Content type = marketplace] + [Date created = last week]
But it is not possible : must have a search term :(

So I look at "What's New" but there is only the last plugin (update or new...?) from the last ?? days

I think search on marketplace should (must?) be improved

(sorry for my bad english)

I know it may not be much consolation but the Marketplace is sorted by newest to oldest by default so you just will need to explore the category you want to see the newest for. Of course this isn't much help if you're looking for overall newest for all categories but just figured I'd mention it ^_^ 

Definitely agree. I think it'd also be a great idea to add some neat new categories maybe with different requirements. For example if a dev has >5 uploads, maybe they could then be allowed to post in a Bundles category. Then devs with many projects such as Adriano, Mike John, RAW etc could bundle together groups of their items for a slightly discounted price. 

I'd suggest also taking a cue from Amazon. They mostly suggest things similar to what you previously purchased. I know this functionality exists already so it shouldn't be too hard to add in. But that'd definitely be useful- especially if you can include things we downloaded and not just bought.

Beyond that, please add some kind of built-in functionality for a dev to add documentation for his work. Even if it's just a forum similar to the Marketplace Support one, and then they embed their thread, etc. It's just I've bought a few high-dollar apps, such as that $40 forms app, and couldn't find anywhere really explaining how the syntax for it worked, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/03/2016 at 0:15 PM, EricT said:

Once a week I am looking at marketplace to see new plugins. When a plugin could be useful for my community in near future, I put it on my plugin list.

But it is very hard (I think) to search to new files on marketplace.
I would like to run a search with these options : [No search term] + [Content type = marketplace] + [Date created = last week]
But it is not possible : must have a search term :(

So I look at "What's New" but there is only the last plugin (update or new...?) from the last ?? days

I think search on marketplace should (must?) be improved

(sorry for my bad english)

Like this: https://invisionpower.com/discover/558/  ???

Archived