Q&A Improvements

Ilya Hoilik

Hello! I have two ideas about Q&A sections.

1. Answers are sorted by rating by default. Please, allow us to use Sort by Date as default sort order. I'm using Q&A only because of Best Answer feature. I hate this changes of sort order.
  2. Please, hide Vote Up and Vote Down buttons for users who cannot rate answers. CSS property cursor: not-allowed; is a little confusing a lot of members.

Thank you for your attention ^_^ 

• 2 weeks later...

This is marked Planned so great, but when you sort by date the Best Answer is lost in the sort. Please also list it first, so it is first (a copy) and in its original order by date (unless it is the actual first post then just show as BA not two times in a row).

At the top of every page would even be better. Like the old way. Even when sorting by votes.

Thanks

The BEST ANSWER ^_^ is to have it has @chilihead mentions. I'm not sure why this has been in question since it came out. If you're not going to have threading you absolutely need to sort by date. And if you lose the BA because you've sorted by date in order to make sense of things, you need a copy of the BA below the first post so you don't lose the BA. Basically it's exactly the same as you had before. The difference is that IPS4 requires you to make an entire forum a BA or not and you can't set BA by topic..

Right, once they add to allow sorting by date by default, the Best Answer will be lost when visiting the question unless they pin it. It only makes sense now because it sorts by votes by default, so when you toggle to view by date, you've already seen the answer. When they add this, it will need to be pinned to the top as well see you see the Best Answer right away, otherwise, no point. I suggest pinned on every page of the answer, for both.

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, chilihead said:

It says this in Release Notes 4.1.11:

"Questions in Question and Answer forums can now be sorted by most votes."

:unsure: huh?

I think it is supposed to say you can set sort by date by default. What it says it already does.

This refers to the 'forum view' (i.e. the list of questions). They can now be sorted by votes, so that most highly-rated questions appear first.

Archived