What The ...

simplymesobe5280

1 minute ago, Charles said:
  1. No need for theatrics :)
  2. It only shows to admins
  3. It's a reminder
  4. You can dismiss it with the nice X in the corner if it causes you this much heartache

Charles i am no idiot and can read too. Give me the permission to add such things here on your server and site and i will consider if i give you this permission on our server and site.

I can´t and don´t want accept this.

• Management

It only shows to administrators and you can dismiss it. What is the concern? It's been there for years. In the time you took to post here you could have clicked X to dismiss it thousands of times. Think of your blood pressure :( 

This isn´t the point Charles and your wrong. We run this board since 2007 and we had times with expired periods and this was never shown before. It´s the first tim at all that i see this.

Your right just click the lil cross to dismiss but this isn´t the point like i said before. You miss-use your software. It´s nice and good to give this hint on the acp part but NOT as decoration on the live site all the same who can see it or not.

• Management

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. To clear up a common misconception, you generally do not own any software you purchase, you purchase a license to use the software. With that said, other than hosted services such as spam mitigation, we do not cripple functionality in the software after license expiration and allow continued its use, but that does not negate the fact that your license is in fact expired and yes, we do make a point of letting you know for various reasons. Beyond the assumption that this is a purely business motivated decision, not everyone logs into their AdminCP every day and it wasn't uncommon in v3 for someone to not notice their license was expired until spam overtakes the site because the mitigation is disabled. 

As noted, it's a label that appears to administrators on the front end and you can dismiss it. I certainly understand and appreciate your frustration, but we are not prepared to make any changes at this time. 

Thank you again for your feedback.

My license expired a few weeks ago and the message appeared on my site. I thought it was an informative reminder, I pressed the close button, calmly continued on with my day as normal, and renewed the license when I wanted to. Easy.

24 minutes ago, superj707 said:

My license expired as well and I too saw the message. I twisted off and smashed my office chair through the window then went outside and punched a kitten. I'm better now.

This thread made me smile today :D

My Teamspeak channel was wondering why I was laughing so hard when I got to your comment J lol.

Another way to verify this just logoff of the site and check again you see its not there. I've see this type of pop up several times. Being I manage 3 sites now with IPS4 it like "(yawn) really I gotta go back to work again..." No biggy just close the notice and go on with life.

1 hour ago, Lindy said:

As noted, it's a label that appears to administrators on the front end and you can dismiss it. I certainly understand and appreciate your frustration, but we are not prepared to make any changes at this time. 

Please don't change it Lindy. I love the notice banner and keeps my sites running smoothly that way.  Also love the colors used "grey" is like when every notice. "red" is like important to do now message. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I'll chalk this up to an understandable but erroneous assumption that the message would be visible to people other than admins. My phobia of these things (and encrypted software generally) comes from an experience where a failed API call by a template creator led to one of my sites being defaced with several "unlicensed copy" messages as a background image. You don't forget experiences like that one. Personally I too find this one of the better additions for those who rely upon the value added services that IPS provides in the support which is used by a number of members.

Archived