Allow members to delete "oops" posts only

Vianney Gantelmi

Hi !

I'm writing this message to suggest a feature which doesn't existe at the moment: give members the ability to delete a post, ONLY IF this post is the last of a topic. When the post is part of the discussion (= an other member added an other post after this one), the first post is not longer deletable.

Do you think this feature could be added in a latest version of IPS 4 ?

Thank you !

The first post has been able to deleted because the original post of the topic (first post) is actually the topic creation. There is a plugin that allows you to change the author of a specific posted message:

But, members do not have the ability to delete topics, which sounds like what you're suggesting, which has been suggested before. There's no such thing as an "oops" topic or posted message. The only outcome is to ask an admin or a moderator to "split the topic" and then delete his or her message, and that is specifically an ability given to forum staff on a message forum. I think I've only used that option once, and it was simply to test out that specific ability.

You really don't want your members to have the ability to delete their own topics because it would create all sorts of problems. I would just post that it's something they would have to request from your forum staff and that you should ensure that your forum staff have the ability to "split" topics. It allows you to separate the first topic message from the rest of the topic and then delete the requested post.

What I think has happened is that one of your members created a topic but before it could be delete by your forum staff, someone else posted in that topic.

Sorry, it wasn't about deleting a topic, only a post in a topic. For exemple, member A and member B are writing posts within a topic. Member A writes a post he wants to delete immediately. I'd like to give the ability to member A to delete this post as long as member B (or C, or D...) has not write a post after this one.

And that, without giving the ability to delete any posts member A wrote, anywhere in the forum. Only the last post of a topic as long as there is no new post after it.

The function would be you can delete your own post if it is the last post of a topic only. This is to protect the integrity of the discussion so you can't go in and remove posts that were replied to, but allows you to delete the last (unreplied to) post in case you made an error. It would not be considered disrupting the integrity since it had not been replied to.

I believe phpbb has (had) this.

It's really not that complicated. It doesn't matter if someone posts a message after your member posts a message. You can select the option th allow your members to delete their own posts. However, I would not suggest allowing your members to delete their own topics. I have my community set up that allows the members of my community to delete their own content, they're just not allowed to delete the topics they create.

15 hours ago, Morisato said:

It's really not that complicated. It doesn't matter if someone posts a message after your member posts a message. You can select the option th allow your members to delete their own posts. However, I would not suggest allowing your members to delete their own topics. I have my community set up that allows the members of my community to delete their own content, they're just not allowed to delete the topics they create.

Where is this setting on IPS4 to not allow the members to delete their own topic? Or are you using a custom settings for this or IPB3?

3 hours ago, Machsterdaemon said:

Where is this setting on IPS4 to not allow the members to delete their own topic? Or are you using a custom settings for this or IPB3?

AdminCP -> Members -> Groups -> {select group to edit} -> look for toggle switch for allowing/disallowing members of that group to delete their topics/posts

19 hours ago, Morisato said:

You can select the option th allow your members to delete their own posts. However, I would not suggest allowing your members to delete their own topics.

3 hours ago, Machsterdaemon said:

Unfortunately not possible in CS4 but many have suggested it here:

As of now your only choice is the global content setting which controls everything. So you cannot differentiate between a topic and a post or even the forum itself. So if you wanted to allow users to delete Gallery images only you can't.

34 minutes ago, Robert Angle said:

AdminCP -> Members -> Groups -> {select group to edit} -> look for toggle switch for allowing/disallowing members of that group to delete their topics/posts

This does not exist.

Archived