Better ordering ability

Morrigan

So it's been bugging me for a while but my OCD finally won.

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the way that things are listed when it comes to applications (specifically Pages but all in general).

They each show up in their own free form order in multiple places. First the create menu:

createIPS.PNG.21dbbb77a2c3835c89e3179780createDF.thumb.PNG.0fa1430176f795eeb027a

Doesn't seem weird until you see that topic is near the top on mine and 3rd from bottom here. I figure, well maybe it's the way they are ordered in my ACP, which is accurate but that will lead me to my final point about being able to order databases. I believe it's ordering pages databases (incorrectly) by database ID as Newsletter and Bugs are 12 and 13 which means it's trying to do it correctly but it's doing it wrong.

Okay! so continuing to my next point, the create menu is NOT the same as the profiles. You'd think that they were similar or would have the same order to them but they don't. (Note I'm talking about the "See All activity" area where you can sort by content):

profileIPS.thumb.PNG.792d0da842138101f02profileDF.thumb.PNG.4d5777e009691004985e

Seems decent enough right? But you'll note that the order of the pages databases are different. I think (from what I know of my databases) that it's listing them in ID order so Guides is one, directory I believe is 3, Exchange is 6 etc.

Now the last point about the ordering and things is that in the ACP it lists your databases alphabetically so there is no way to list order or choose how they show up across the site to get at least a form of symmetry for them.

My proposed request(s):

• A way to order Pages databases in the ACP so that you can prioritize them in the Create Menu as well as in the profiles. OR
  • List them the same in both places (alphabetically or based on Database ID). OR (and this is my favorite)
  • Give me an extra level of control? The ability to control the Create menu similar to the standard menu (including leaving certain create features out) and the ability to order the profiles to show important things different from one menu to the other in your own custom design.

• 6 months later...

+1 to this. I know IPS meant well but the ordering sucks on my site too, worse yet there are things I kinda want to hide off the create menu, believe it or not so I am definitely all for this:

• Give me an extra level of control? The ability to control the Create menu similar to the standard menu (including leaving certain create features out) and the ability to order the profiles to show important things different from one menu to the other in your own custom design.

Archived