Amazon S3 advertising in Core 4.1.7

RPG-support

• Management

These are not in a fixed order. Ours, for example:

56a343b4559d9_StorageSettings2016-01-230

It's not advertisement - we don't own Amazon nor do we make a commission if you use it, we simply provide a gateway for a service many use. It's not a settings section you look at every day, so I'm not sure it should be this level of bothersome. :)

I don't think there's anything to be done here, but we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. 

2 hours ago, shop.a108.net said:

I am not sure if other online file storage services (ex. Google Drive, mega.co.nz, etc.) may be integrated into IPS Suite 4 as Amazon was but paid services may be fixed somewhere at the bottom of the list. Thank you for chance being heard.

Amazon S3 is completely different from Google Drive and mega - S3 is a service for websites to more efficiently serve static content to users (it's a CDN), while Google Drive and mega are for people sharing files with one another, and at least some services like that block things that are downloaded by too many people, because they are not allowed to be used as a CDN. Mega works in such a way that it is not possible for it to be used as a CDN.

16 minutes ago, Colonel_mortis said:

Amazon S3 is completely different from Google Drive and mega - S3 is a service for websites to more efficiently serve static content to users (it's a CDN)

Are there other known and popular CDN services like Amazon S3? Why only Amason S3?

123.thumb.jpg.4ade45c1448158e29525bca8e0

Just now, shop.a108.net said:

Do you want that you have the choice instead of having Amazon S3 only?

I don't think it's too difficult to make a plugin to support an arbitrary CDN if necessary (I haven't tried it though), and I could see this turning into lots of people asking for some CDN to be added. I'm not against more being supported, but I don't think it's critical.

29 minutes ago, opentype said:

Because the users of IPS software have requested it more than any other service. 

So, there is no any question of making the IPS Suite universal. Well, I remember 2007 when language abstraction was not demanded. Lets wait another 5-10 years.  ;)

4 minutes ago, shop.a108.net said:

So, there is no any question of making the IPS Suite universal. 

Universal in regards to what?

You can use other CDNs as well. S3 is just directly supported because it’s a widely used service and was often requested. Just as the login handlers support services like Facebook, because that is widely used social network as well. You don’t have to use it of course and IPS isn’t “advertising” certain services in the backend. 

10 minutes ago, shop.a108.net said:

So, there is no any question of making the IPS Suite universal. Well, I remember 2007 when language abstraction was not demanded. Lets wait another 5-10 years.  ;)

It's not possible to just support custom CDNs - each one uses its own custom API. You would have to make a full plugin to support it anyway.

Just now, opentype said:

Universal in regards to what?

universal

"Something that is universal relates to everyone in the world or everyone in a particular group or society." (Collins)

For example, I want to use free of cost CDN from the box, but I am opening the ACP and see only paid Amazon S3.

Just now, shop.a108.net said:

universal

"Something that is universal relates to everyone in the world or everyone in a particular group or society." (Collins)

For example, I want to use free of cost CDN from the box, but I am opening the ACP and see only paid Amazon S3.

There's no such thing as a free CDN.

2 minutes ago, Colonel_mortis said:

There's no such thing as a free CDN.

Are those (some of them titled as Free CDNs) really not such? Or what if I want ot have the option to choose another CDN which is cheaper or have some additional options for the same or cheaper price? And I am not the php coder as most of the users and can not do this myself, so I want it from the box.

9 minutes ago, shop.a108.net said:

universal

It sounds like you are worried about two different things.  One is file storage (and you only have the four choices although they are more than enough); the other is file / content distribution.  

To be clear, Amazon S3 is for file storage.  

But you can use ANY file distribution such as Amazon Cloudfront, KeyCDN, MaxCDN, etc.  

4 minutes ago, shop.a108.net said:

Are those (some of them titled as Free CDNs) really not such? Or what if I want ot have the option to choose another CDN which is cheaper or have some additional options for the same or cheaper price? And I am not the php coder as most of the users and can not do this myself, so I want it from the box.

Incapsula and Cloudflare work very differently, and don't require integration on IPS's end.

Bootstrap CDN is a free CDN for shared resources such jQuery - it is not possible to use it to serve your own content, and is therefore not relevant to this topic.

Coral CDN appears to be something else entirely, but I'm not entirely sure.

There's nothing stopping you from using another CDN, but IPS has decided to support Amazon S3 out of the box because it is by far the most popular CDN out there. It would simply not be viable for them to support hundreds of different CDNs just because one user wants to use that CDN. If you want to use a different CDN but can't develop the plugin yourself, I suggest that you request that a developer creates a plugin for you.

13 minutes ago, Joel R said:

It sounds like you are worried about two different things.  One is file storage (and you only have the four choices although they are more than enough); the other is file / content distribution.  

To be clear, Amazon S3 is for file storage.  

But you can use ANY file distribution such as Amazon Cloudfront, KeyCDN, MaxCDN, etc.  

Oops, I've been getting them mixed up in my posts.

To use a CDN, go into ACP->Files->Storage Settings, then change the storage configuration to use a custom URL.

1 hour ago, Colonel_mortis said:

There's nothing stopping you from using another CDN, but IPS has decided to support Amazon S3 out of the box because it is by far the most popular CDN out there. It would simply not be viable for them to support hundreds of different CDNs just because one user wants to use that CDN. 

But adding the couple of different CDNs will be useful. For example, they share links not only on Facebook. But FB is the most popular out there and you can pretend to protect IPS by saying similar about FB. Anyway, this is suggestions forum. So, my suggestion is to make the product universal and to provide better service in this way too.

• Management

I think there's confusion here. S3 is not a CDN, even a little -- it's file storage. You can serve stored files via HTTP, but that too is not a CDN. You would need to use CloudFront, NetDNA, MaxCDN or similar -- and all can technically use S3 as an origin (though CloudFront will of course be the best as its native.) 

You can use any CDN you want in IPS4... and again, our Amazon S3 support has nothing to do with a CDN, it's a file storage gateway. Others could be added at some point, we've not received any overwhelming demand for anything other than S3. 

Archived