Assignment of Multiple Categories

RocketSMS

I wish that that it was possible to assign multiple categories to items.  This includes photos uploaded to a gallery, pages database items, and file downloads.  This would be similar to the way members can be parts of separate groups.  

What's the benefit of allowing assignment of material to multiple categories?  I will use examples from my aviation related community.

Gallery - Someone uploads a picture that is a beautiful aerial shot of his Grob motorglider.  He'd like to have it listed in his album, Grob gallery, and aerial photography gallery.  To do that now, he'd have to upload it 3 times.

Pages & Files Database -- We have articles stored in a wiki format.  Someone posts an article about slow flight.  He'd like to have it listed in the safety and the training category.  He could upload it twice, but if someone corrects one copy or adds material to it, they diverge.

I think it would make the software more flexible and powerful.

Thanks for building a great tool.

16 minutes ago, RocketSMS said:

Gallery - Someone uploads a picture that is a beautiful aerial shot of his Grob motorglider.  He'd like to have it listed in his album, Grob gallery, and aerial photography gallery.  To do that now, he'd have to upload it 3 times.

One thing that I thought was a very powerful feature of Coppermine Photo Gallery was the concept of "virtual images," where an image would be uploaded to ONE album, but could appear in MULTIPLE albums as filtered by tags.  This provides a much more powerful and dynamic framework for creating cross-over albums.  The classic example is a gallery on zoos ... you can create albums for zoo locations (Wellington Zoo, Toronto Zoo, San Diego Zoo) and by zoo animals (African elephants, pygmy hippo, etc.)

I like your idea though, which is to take the idea one step further for the entire suite.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is one of the reason why I held back buying IPS.

This behavior is evident in the Marketplace. When you click on the Applications and Plugins category, you're expecting 460 items, only to find out that it has only 3 pages with 25 items each. You'll get confused where the remaining items are.

Article (databases), yes.

Please add Commerce to this list.

You should be able to select any category you want for your product, and also, there should be an option to allow it to show in all categories above it. So Cars >> USA >> Ford: A Ford shows in all 3 unless you turn that setting off.

On 1/15/2016 at 0:14 PM, Joel R said:

One thing that I thought was a very powerful feature of Coppermine Photo Gallery was the concept of "virtual images," where an image would be uploaded to ONE album, but could appear in MULTIPLE albums as filtered by tags. 

This would be nice for viewing people's attachments. They upload attachments, but in Gallery (if owned) there is an Attachments folder of "virtual" images. It would be nice, if Gallery is not even owned, to view people's attachments from their profile page.

Edited by chilihead

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/16/2016 at 10:51 AM, RocketSMS said:

Completely agree... we have this issue and fixing it would prevent a lot of duplicate uploads. We need to be able to display an image in multiple applicable galleries.

I think having this as an option would be a great idea as well.  We bumped into this problem with our custom app, since the main software won't allow multiple categories, neither could our app.  (Without a lot of goofy retooling).  Changing the base software to allow for real or virtual multiple categories would be very handy.

• 2 years later...

As I said above, this will require a huge change in the Core. If they would add something like that, wouldn’t be in a version like 4.5; it would be on IPS5 where certainly they will rewrite a lot of things. But I really wouldn’t wait for this. Although you can see this request here and there a few times, it isn’t so popular.