Ip Board Wiki?

JohnCourt

I know this has been hashed over before, folks looking for a wiki solution for their community. I have been researching and testing wiki's for a year now and we are coming down the home stretch on settling on one, either MediaWiki or DokuWiki.

But before we pull the trigger on a big project like this, and so we do not have any regrets in the future, can the upper chain of command here at IP tell me if they have any plans whatsoever in the foreseeable future to add a dedicated Wiki Application to IP Board? I'd hate to start down the road of building our wiki from an offsite software then IP Board come up with a wonderful built in solution. Thanks for any feedback on the matter.

Thanks Edwina, we have researched it, we are existing IP customers and users, but the fact is just being able to edit a page openly, does not make a wiki. There are many functions that make a wiki a wiki, too many to list here. Semantic links and data to name one of hundreds of functions a dedicated wiki has. Thanks Edwina!:smile:

53 minutes ago, John Morris said:

I know this has been hashed over before, folks looking for a wiki solution for their community. I have been researching and testing wiki's for a year now and we are coming down the home stretch on settling on one, either MediaWiki or DokuWiki.

But before we pull the trigger on a big project like this, and so we do not have any regrets in the future, can the upper chain of command here at IP tell me if they have any plans whatsoever in the foreseeable future to add a dedicated Wiki Application to IP Board? I'd hate to start down the road of building our wiki from an offsite software then IP Board come up with a wonderful built in solution. Thanks for any feedback on the matter.

:D

8 hours ago, John Morris said:

I already noted him/them they be in contact soon. :D

Not only that but opening up your website content so that anyone can edit it leaves your site vulnerable to defacing and Wikipedia gets hit with this a whole lot. I keep the "wiki editing" option disabled because it's a dangerous option to enable.

13 hours ago, Courtland said:

… any plans whatsoever in the foreseeable future to add a dedicated Wiki Application to IP Board? 

Since there is a Wiki functionality in Pages already, it’s highly unlikely IPS would create a new app for that. 

4 hours ago, Morisato said:

I keep the "wiki editing" option disabled because it's a dangerous option to enable.

Nah! I use that option since I use IPS software (and before with other Wiki plugins/bridges). Nothing “dangerous” about it. You can set the permissions who can edit and you have to monitor the user activities just as you have to do it in forums. 

On 1/10/2016 at 10:04 PM, Morisato said:

Not only that but opening up your website content so that anyone can edit it leaves your site vulnerable to defacing and Wikipedia gets hit with this a whole lot. I keep the "wiki editing" option disabled because it's a dangerous option to enable.

If you have this ability but limited to user group you want than your fine. You just have to think ahead.

• 2 months later...

Archived