Topic splitting

hmikko

Hey! I have some questions about topic splitting. I'm a bit confused and should it work this way after all.

I made a topic on my forums and needed to transfer some posts into that topic. I used "split" in old topic but the result was that my post in new topic went to last position and topic starter changed to person who made the earlyest post from splitted posts.

Should it work that way? Or is it a bug?

The way it works now with Split into: New Topic, Existing Topic, I would expect it to throw an error if you tried to split newer posts into an older topic, or at least a warning/message, as you are essentially changing the topic (post #1 and topic author) and it is not an "existing" topic anymore, as post #1 becomes a reply. I'd say error as it would be using someone else's post with the OP's title, but if made possible, show something like "You are about to merge older posts into a newer topic causing the topic author to change," similar to the "kept title" message given when merging topics.

I don't know if you should report that or suggest a warning/error, maybe staff will see this.

46 minutes ago, hmikko said:

Hey! I have some questions about topic splitting. I'm a bit confused and should it work this way after all.

I made a topic on my forums and needed to transfer some posts into that topic. I used "split" in old topic but the result was that my post in new topic went to last position and topic starter changed to person who made the earlyest post from splitted posts.

Should it work that way? Or is it a bug?

Yep - the first post of the new 'split' topic controls who started it/when it started etc. Those details from the original topic do not transfer.

The reason your post in the new topic (which I expect you thought would be the first post) is not at the top is purely because it's later than the first post.

Unless you are explicitly stating that the author of one of the posts changed (ie it was "Joe Bloggs" as the author of that post in the original topic, but it is now "John Doe" in the new topic - ie another member is now the author) then I see no bug.

No, post author did not change but topic author changed from mine to someone elses.

My common sense thought that first post will not change and others will sorted by topic date after first post.

This kind of topic hijacking is a bit funny :D My first reaction was cmd+z :p

Archived