Things missing from IPS3, or maybe I just can't find them

emilhem

Permission sets. With thousands upon thousands of users, we have a multitude of groups.

IPS3: Configurable permissions sets that was easy to select and apply to one or many groups (could have been made easier but was working)

IPS4: Manually edit the permission for each group, hundreds of groups. Many many hours trying to correct the broken translation of previous permissions and the effects of changes to the system from previous versions. What used to take minutes (setup a permission set and apply to a few groups) now takes hours not only because the permissions has been fragmented into so many places it is virtually impossible to verify that two or for the matter two hundred groups have the correct permissions.

Customer and Guest support. The vast majority of our visitors are non-members, they need efficient ways to communicate with us.

IPS3: Support Form, with the ability for guests to send requests directly to a relevant department with customfields.

IPS4: This has been replaced with "Contact Us" form in the bottom of the page, messages that are nowhere to be found (not even in the configured e-mail in question).

Content delivery and pages. To deliver our homepage to our members and visiters.

IPS3: content was stored as articles which had its quirks. But worked after a few adjustments to templates.

IPS4: Content is replaced by Databases where more things are pre-defined and as only a single page is allowed to link to a database, I can't even if I wanted to have a page that displayed two records from a database while having another page that displayed a category. It's simply so annoyingly limited that to even get remotely close to what we wanted to do, each category was setup as its own database.

Editors. To manage content and update the page and ensure quality of content.

IPS3: Editors was a rough setting, allowing editing of everything site-wide. This was madness, so we had to strictly limit the people allowed to edit content.

IPS4: There seems to be no way beyond administrators to edit content. Sure there are settings for this, but users allowed to edit content by settings still can't. We have an open ticket regarding this, but this has moved all content management tasks from our managers to our admins for the past month.

Documentation. So that we can find out how to do what we need to do.

IPS3: The documentation from IPS was extensive and in most parts pretty good.

IPS4: Since the upgrade of invisionpower.com the documentation and most content has been completely broken. It has been broken for months. Not even the old IPS3 documentation works very well as most content contains cross-reference links, links that no longer work.

I had something here about Adminpanel access, but it was fixed in 4.1.6.

All in all: We have spent more time upgrading from IPS3 to IPS4 than we did implementing IPS3 to start with.

With what I know today, we should have stayed in IPS3, because there are so many parts of IPS4 that is still very flawed.

On the bright side, we love the responsiveness of the site now.

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2016 at 1:36 AM, emilhem said:

Permission sets. With thousands upon thousands of users, we have a multitude of groups.

IPS3: Configurable permissions sets that was easy to select and apply to one or many groups (could have been made easier but was working)

IPS4: Manually edit the permission for each group, hundreds of groups. Many many hours trying to correct the broken translation of previous permissions and the effects of changes to the system from previous versions. What used to take minutes (setup a permission set and apply to a few groups) now takes hours not only because the permissions has been fragmented into so many places it is virtually impossible to verify that two or for the matter two hundred groups have the correct permissions.

I agree. The lack of Permission sets has rendered IPS useless for me in 2 instances.

• 1 year later...

Archived