HELP! Issues after updating - Forum Down!

John_C

I did the auto update this AM. Something gave error twice, and then the Admin panel briefly showed jumbled up. I later F5'd and it seemed to be OK for a bit.

My members said the forum wasn't showing correctly after the update for them at times. They also reported my search (advanced) was not working, just showing the circle as working in the tab. Well, I and a couple others started to use the search to test it out and then my forum went down. I think it has something to do with the update.

On the forum side, I get:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache Server at streetntrack.net Port 80

On the Admin panel side I get:

An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'IPS\Db\Exception' with message 'MySQL server has gone away' in /home/content/54/6456154/html/STREETNTRACK/system/Db/Db.php:388 Stack trace: #0 /home/content/54/6456154/html/STREETNTRACK/system/Db/Db.php(672): IPS\_Db->preparedQuery('REPLACE INTO `i...', Array) #1 /home/content/54/6456154/html/STREETNTRACK/system/Session/Admin.php(115): IPS\_Db->replace('core_sys_cp_ses...', Array) #2 [internal function]: IPS\Session\_Admin->write('6842fdc583bdf7d...', 'forcedWrite|i:1...') #3 [internal function]: session_write_close() #4 {main} thrown in /home/content/54/6456154/html/STREETNTRACK/system/Db/Db.php on line 388

Any ideas what's going on here? Already have a support ticket open, but if I can resolve this ASAP before they get to it, that'd be great! 

Well, IPS reports this as server error....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, after update to v4.1.6.1 I get 500 Errors (see above) and was told it was the server side by IPS. I talked to my hosting tech guy and he said the problem I'm getting is because multiple php processes are running that were not closing. I think he said it was causing me to exceed my ram, too. I had to go twice in the hosting panel and kill the php process.

What in the update could have triggered this? I have unlimited hosting and only have a few members on at a time (4 members 3 guests viewing forum now), so this should not be happening obviously.

It's got to be something in the code.... I had zero issues before the update! 

Just like I had zero issues with my forum email until v4 and since I have not seen a single email from forum subscriptions, etc., received. Not even new registration Email. 

IPS says they traced it and the software is sending it. My host says it's IPS code not working with their Email system.

4 hours ago, John_C said:

It's got to be something in the code.... I had zero issues before the update! 

Just like I had zero issues with my forum email until v4 and since I have not seen a single email from forum subscriptions, etc., received. Not even new registration Email. 

IPS says they traced it and the software is sending it. My host says it's IPS code not working with their Email system.

hosts are always quick to say its not their setup because they dont want to pay you or fix stuff.

6 hours ago, MADMAN32395 said:

hosts are always quick to say its not their setup because they dont want to pay you or fix stuff.

I wish I could agree.

But I had errors pop up during the auto update. I should have took screen shots and then clicked the fresh install option, but I went with the try again option.

All hell has broke loose since.

I had ZERO issues before the update. None, Nadia, zip! Now I have issues all over the place. 

To me, that points to the update, not my host. 

Does this update run more php processes and need more ram than it did before? Remember, when this happened, I only had 4 members logged in viewing the forum and 3 guests, so there is no way this was caused by my site traffic load, etc.

What were the errors during the upgrade ? You sometimes need to run mysql queries from the command line if its a large forum as the browser auto run for the queries times out, however there is normally a box that tells you all this on the upgrade. And i would also say that a 500 error is the host and advice above is good and i'd agree some hosts are not interested and others need the problem pointed out to them before they can fix it!

1 hour ago, Cloud 9 said:

What were the errors during the upgrade ? You sometimes need to run mysql queries from the command line if its a large forum as the browser auto run for the queries times out, however there is normally a box that tells you all this on the upgrade. And i would also say that a 500 error is the host and advice above is good and i'd agree some hosts are not interested and others need the problem pointed out to them before they can fix it!

I can't recall, but it happened twice. I do recall it gave the option of continuing or doing a fresh install...

BTW, does this look normal? Only 2 on the forum but I see a lot of processes eating up resources

system_processes.thumb.jpg.d520de0c29352

6 hours ago, Brian K. said:

500 error points to your server rather than IPS. I'd say your host needs to get on the ball or you switch to another one.

That's not true. The recent 500 errors experienced during upgrade were a result of an issue with the upgrade itself, not the server configuration. You cannot pinpoint the cause of an error code such as this as being the fault of the host or the software vendor, based on the error code alone. An investigation into the cause is required.

5 minutes ago, John_C said:

There are 7 now running (after killing processes down to zero) and I only have 5 members on the forum.... I think something is hanging up. 

As already mentioned, check logs for possible issues. And btw. you shouldn't be using php 5.4 anymore it's EOL meaning it gets no updates (not even security updates).

Archived