Any way to run the upgrader through the CLI not HTTP?

Colonel_mortis

The HTTP upgrader is really slow (upgrading from 3.4.8 to 4.1.5.2 it has been running for over 8 hours on our fairly large site, and it's not very far through (this is a test upgrade)), so it would be create if you could run it as a CLI program instead. That way, you don't have to deal with the large overhead associated with HTTP requests, and you don't have to get the site operator to run queries for you because it can never time out.

The UTF8 converter CLI works pretty well, so I don't see why an upgrader couldn't do the same. I get that it's not something that can just be added overnight, but it would be a really useful future for the next time there are some seriously major changes to be made.

To be expected - it will ask you to run queries manually to guard against the potential for it timing out while running those queries automatically.

My forum is ~3 million posts, and my test upgrades (including the manual queries) have never gone beyond the 30 minute mark at any point.

What step is your upgrader currently at, after 8 hours?

Just now, Nathan Explosion said:

To be expected - it will ask you to run queries manually to guard against the potential for it timing out while running those queries automatically.

My forum is ~3 million posts, and my test upgrades (including the manual queries) have never gone beyond the 30 minute mark at any point.

What step is your upgrader currently at, after 8 hours?

It has now finished.

I get why it asks for manual queries, but if it was running as a CLI app, it wouldn't need that because they can't time out.

Archived