Please add Emoji support

Apfelstrudel

25 minutes ago, Lenny Warren said:

I noticed I have mine set to false. presuming it's not as easy as changing this to true? The database would have to be updated first?

$INFO['sql_utf8mb4'] = true;

Database needs to be converted, if you set that to true and the database is not compatible, your site will generare log files that weight several giga bytes in a very short time, talking from experience :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/13/2016 at 9:04 AM, Lenny Warren said:

I noticed I have mine set to false. presuming it's not as easy as changing this to true? The database would have to be updated first?

$INFO['sql_utf8mb4'] = true;

oh weird. I had my db setup for mb4, but wouldnt allow emoji until i manually added this in as well. I still have the older style of the conf_global ; noticed fresh 4.x's looks different.

edit: looks like I was able to use the "newer" style conf; not sure if it makes difference or anything lol

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, RevengeFNF said:

When i converted my Database to UTF8, i did not know this would be possible.

I'll wait for a conversion script from UTF8 to UTF8MB4

Same here. Convertion without a script can lead to many problems. I regret not to had the db converted when upgraded from 3.4 to 4.0. Also did not know about emoji relation with mb4.

For what it's worth, I converted by hand through phpMyAdmin and, for the most part, my forum has been working well since, and this was at least a week ago. I was wondering why the forum wasn't allowing me to use emojis still, but adding that one line to conf_global.php made it work. Other than that, I had very little downtime. ^_^

With larger forums, it may be easier to simply dump the database and change utf8 to utf8mb4 through the import. My forum is moderately sized, so phpMyAdmin was definitely an option as long as I backed up my database before doing so (and I did). Or you can wait for a conversion script. Either works! I'm just sharing my experience here.

10 hours ago, MADMAN32395 said:

Yea for me. Converting by hand was way too easy. So anyone with phpmyadmin has it even easier lol. It shouldn't be ips's responsibility to make a script to modify your database. 

By hand it maybe took me 20 minutes .

Lucky you, but problems can happen:

• 1 month later...

what about using and supporting "emoji codes" and replacing them with image sets freely available on the internet (like emojione) - see http://www.emoji-cheat-sheet.com/

If Invisionpower would support Emojis officially it would be really great. There are some Addons (like here and there), but they are not considered in patches and upgrades...

for example: use codes like on github and use the editor auto-completion could be used to show suggestions and "replace" it after space/enter with the actual icon - similar like the "usual" smileys - see screenshot:

2phW5P7.png

No word of a script yet? Annoys me that when members are on their phones, iphone in my case, they can't use the inbuilt emoji. Such a simple thing causes members to be annoyed, and I can understand that.

Surely if we want members to have a pleasant experience this should be a high priority to fix?

17 hours ago, Lenny Warren said:

… when members are on their phones, iphone in my case, they can't use the inbuilt emoji. Such a simple thing causes members to be annoyed, and I can understand that.

Not sure what you are reporting. What doesn’t work? I can access everything just fine in my iPhone. 

IMG_0873.jpg

5 minutes ago, opentype said:

Not sure what you are reporting. What doesn’t work? I can access everything just fine in my iPhone. 

IMG_0873.jpg

nah, he's complaining/"reporting" that his board can't use them since he's not on UTF8MB4 on his site. Since I changed my tables and defaults to utf8mb4, I am able to use emoji from my android stock keyboard just fine on my site and ips.

2 hours ago, MADMAN32395 said:

nah, he's complaining/"reporting" that his board can't use them since he's not on UTF8MB4 on his site. Since I changed my tables and defaults to utf8mb4, I am able to use emoji from my android stock keyboard just fine on my site and ips.

Exactly... it's annoying.. :(

7 minutes ago, Lenny Warren said:

Exactly... it's annoying.. :(

So do the work yourself. IPS builds software . they don't maintain your servers. 

They offer hosting if you don't want to manage your own servers or pay someone to manage them for you.

Change your tables to use utf8mb4 and you should be good to go. That's all I did.

Just now, MADMAN32395 said:

So do the work yourself. IPS builds software . they don't maintain your servers. 

They offer hosting if you don't want to manage your own servers or pay someone to manage them for you.

No, I'm quite happy with my managed VPS. IPS build software, but they didn't make it clear to customers that not starting off with UTF8MB4 would mean these issues. Also, they used to have a conversion script, they should release one for IPS4.

I'm not a coder, so I'm not doing it. It's a feature of how they implement the database. I pay for a managed VPS and although the tech support are superb, they advise they aren't able to convert a database which is actually a bit proprietary.

The forum is full of customers wanting IPS to release a conversion script...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived