Please add Emoji support

Apfelstrudel

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Apfelstrudel said:

Is there any way to convert a db?

You choose to convert it when you upgrade from 3.x or you choose it when you make a new IPS4 install.

As far as I know there's nothing "oficial" from IPS to convert a database other than the 2 cases mentioned above, we could use a tool for that...

You need to be using MySQL 5.5.3 or higher and have all tables and columns using the utf8mb4 character set.

If you are running MySQL 5.5.3 or higher when you install IPS Community Suite or upgrade from IP.Board, you will have the option to use utf8mb4. If you upgrade later, you would need to modify the database manually (there is a good guide here). It would probably be handy to have a script to do this though - I'll bring it up for discussion :)

• 2 weeks later...
On December 28, 2015 at 2:19 AM, -FP said:

Database needs to be utf8mb4, not just utf8.

I wish I would have known this. I upgraded only to UTF8 because I thought the only reason for the larger utf8mb4 was to support rare music symbols. I didn't know I would be missing out on this. Ugh, can I upgrade?

Hi,

I choose to convert my database to utf8mb4 during 3.4 to 4.0 upgrade
Some Emoji works and others no...

It says:

The value entered includes a character that is not allowed such as an Emoji.

What does I need to do to correctly support emojis ?

Regards

12 minutes ago, Cybero said:

Some Emoji works and others no...

Can you give examples? And how do you define “work” in that case? The IPS support is about storing it correctly in an utf8mb4 database (and denying the input if that database encoding is not present), not about displaying the Emoji, which also depends on your browser and the (Emoji) fonts you have installed. 

For example this one is working (I can post and see it from my android browser (chrome) with SwiftKey keyboard) on my forum: ✈
But I can't post this one ?

When I submit message, I have the following error ans message is not posted

The value entered includes a character that is not allowed such as an Emoji.

Yeah, this looks like the expected result of NOT running utf8mb4. The airplane is just U+2708 and will work, but the smiley is on a higher Unicode plane (U+1F604) and will not work, that’s why the IPS software doesn’t even accept it. It just couldn’t be stored in the database. 

Oh ok that explains :)

What can I check to see if my database is utf8mb4  ?

By the way, thanks for your answers :) 

Edit: OK my bad... the following line was commented in my conf_global.php

$INFO['sql_utf8mb4'] = true;

I uncommented it and now it works ! :) 

• 1 month later...

Archived