No lightbox for images posted in forums on mobile? WTF

SJ77

Why the heck am I being told that "by design" there is no lightbox for images posted in the forums on mobile?

What kind of design plan is that? Offer mobile people a one way ticket off the site and have them land on a blank white page with an image? Force them to use their back button to navigate back to your site? ugh

Gallery has a mobile lightbox, IPB3 has a mobile lightbox ... the least we could do is have the images enlarge inline when clicked.

rant over

Thank you

35 minutes ago, Lindy said:

In short, you'd like to suggest a lightbox on mobile in the forums app? ;)

We can look at different solutions. 

But when you articulate it Lindy it sounds so clean and concise. My version sounded much more crotchety and contempt filled. How can I get a juicy rant thread going if you're just going to come in and simplify then defuse all of it? 

Lol i kidd, you rock! Thanks for the quick reply. I really hope we can improve on the mobile forum image delivery. Thanks again

There's no lightbox because a lightbox is not the best way of interacting with large images on mobile. You can't view a 'larger' version in a lightbox like you can on desktop, because the screen is already small - essentially, it'd be showing you the same thumbnail at the same size you see it in the post already.

Instead, we link to the actual image where you pinch/zoom/drag effectively to view the image at a larger size. 

11 hours ago, Rikki said:

There's no lightbox because a lightbox is not the best way of interacting with large images on mobile. You can't view a 'larger' version in a lightbox like you can on desktop, because the screen is already small - essentially, it'd be showing you the same thumbnail at the same size you see it in the post already.

Instead, we link to the actual image where you pinch/zoom/drag effectively to view the image at a larger size. 

Then why does Gallery have a mobile image viewer?

My thumbnails are small. I run an image site and many images get posted. Clicking to enlarge should not lead them away from all site structure to a dead white page with a single image. Doing so forces them to use the back button to return. That's not a top tier solution inline with a premium suite like IPS. Even IPB 3.x handed things better than this. at least enlarge the image inline without forcing them to a broken looking blank page.

On 16.12.2015 at 0:58 PM, Rikki said:

When images open is lightbox we can enlarge them and fast move from prev to next image. After opening image without lightbox, user should click "Back" button and then page reloads. It's very inconveniently for a community with a lot of pictures and when user want to enlarge 1 more images.

Why we can't choose in ACP the way how this images will be opened? I made a suggestion here.

On 12/20/2015 at 11:20 AM, Rikki said:

Images actually opened in a lightbox to begin with when the 4.0 preview came out, and the feedback was overwhelmingly negative - that's why we specifically changed the behavior for phones.

So we went with linking directly to the image? linking directly to the image is like 1998 HTML, WTH?

okay so now lets consider the mobile user experience. I would argue that it went from bad to worse.

Suppose there are 10 images (thumbnail sized)  in a post and I as a user would like to view all of them. I must now click on each one individually and then use my back button and repeat. That's a huge hassle by modern standards. I realize it sounds like a first world problem but honestly this is not even close to the mobile experience I would expect from paid premium software such as this.

If lightbox sucks on mobile don't use it... but do SOMETHING else that works. Something better.

Why not at the very least allow the image to reach max screen size, scaling inline? This way I could enlarge all 10 images at once and simply scroll as I view each of them instead of having to view each, one by one using my back button repeatedly.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I just ran into this same issue. I posted an article on IP.Content that has 50 images and all images are being shown in-line, one after another, in mobile view. Everytime one clicks on an image, it opens it up in a new blank page and one needs to click the back button to go back to the article, which in turns, starts loading the whole article all over again. Feels so amatuerish and cheap. Like SuperJ707 said, not what I and especially our fanbase would expect from a paid software. There has got to be something better to use when displaying multiple images in mobile view.

Lightbox is not only for viewing single images larger it's for being able to navigate multiple images with the arrows. It should be a part of all apps on full/mobile for uploaded and remote images.

Recently ran into an issue where if the remote image is small it won't get lightbox so can't navigate images.

56 minutes ago, chilihead said:

Lightbox is not only for viewing single images larger it's for being able to navigate multiple images with the arrows. It should be a part of all apps on full/mobile for uploaded and remote images.

Exactly! I rather have lightbox displaying one image at a time and allowing me to scroll through them by clicking the next arrow, instead of having all images displayed at the same time and having to scroll them through a mile-long thread.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2015 at 4:58 AM, Rikki said:

On 12/19/2015 at 2:20 PM, Rikki said:

Images actually opened in a lightbox to begin with when the 4.0 preview came out, and the feedback was overwhelmingly negative - that's why we specifically changed the behavior for phones.

If this is the case, then why is it included in IP.Gallery? Really blows my mind that it is a feature on IP.Gallery but not IP.Board/IP.Content, other than as a "feature" you need to pay extra in order to have it.

It should at least be an option for us who prefer to have a carrousel of images in mobile view, instead of a string of pictures making a post longer than the iPhone 12...

• 6 months later...

I'll bump this issue since it is important to me.

Why is there no easy way to view images/attachments on mobile devices? 40% of visitors on my site are through mobile devices but IPS4 is seriously unfriendly to mobile devices in some aspects.

Surely adding a nice lightbox with ability to swipe to next/prev image is a trivial task. All the other sites have it and the images can still be zoomed in.

Why do you insist on forcing mobile users to open each image individually?

There are such good solutions that could be used for viewing images and multiple attachments (slideshow for example) but nothing has happened in a year. Help me understand.

• 2 months later...

Since IPS is ignoring this issue, does anyone know how to bring back the lightbox for mobile view?

It used to be there but according to @Rikki it was removed/disabled due to negative feedback yet negative feedback in this topic has been ignored for over a year now...

Archived