Banned Members... Are They Really Members Just Like Me?

Teddy Rogers

I just noticed this. I just upgraded my forums from 3.4 to 4.1 and I just noticed that the upgrade removed the banned usergroup from my community and placed those banned members in the "members' usergroup. I'm not happy over this. ACK. What the heck?

I noticed this. It made not one bit of difference to us. The ban means they can't access the site on that account. I don't have a need to broadcast to the world that a particular member is banned. In fact, in the past, this has caused me considerable problems as I was virtually accused of libel! It's better off hidden.

Personally, I think every banned member should have a non-dismissable red banner message telling them what a terrible person they are and they're forever banned until they upgrade to a better person.  

Kidding! 

What I really wanted to share were two mods:

First plugin by @Adriano Faria changes membergroup user formatting in most places, so you can visually see if they're in a Banned membergroup.  Love this plugin.

Theres a second plugin for online indicator.  You might want to see if you can tweak it to display an indicator in the postbit for banned members.  

Just some ideas.  

The thing is, banned members cannot accuse you of libel if you ban them because they violated your site rules, forum rules, terms of service or whatever. Libel is very hard to prove and that the person throwing that at you needs to prove that what you posted was not true. Not only that, but posting that 'this member is banned' is not considered libel. The only thing you're doing is announcing to your community that a user was banned. This is NOT libel.

"For any defamation action, the individual defamed would have to demonstrate reputational injury suffered as a result of the comments made. Because reputations do not come with a price tag, an individual defamed will ask for a LOT of money to compensate for his injury. Money awarded for injury to a reputation is called compensatory or general damages. Pecuniary damages can also be awarded - these are actual monetary losses suffered as a result of the defamation, occurring from the loss of a job or the loss of a promotion, for instance. Additional damages can be awarded for pain and suffering, although this is not common.

Defamation suits are expensive to bring - and even more expensive to lose. It is certainly better to never to say anything defamatory about anyone ever."

3 hours ago, kar3n2 said:

whats the point of keeping a banned group?

IP.Board had a banned members group for over a decade so I think it had some relevance at some point. Doesn't matter how you tag someone as being banned - the old system or the new system - it's still technically a banned group. My whole point from this topic is to discuss having an easier representation of a banned member in the forum view - using what ever system that "banned" group is defined as. Currently I either have to go in AdminCP or click on a members profile...

21 hours ago, Lindy said:

That indicator on the profile only shows to your site staff.

I didn't know that, thanks for the information. Ideally I would still like to see something like this in the main forum view so I don't have to view each and every members profile to find out...

Ted.

8 hours ago, Morisato said:

The thing is, banned members cannot accuse you of libel if you ban them because they violated your site rules, forum rules, terms of service or whatever. Libel is very hard to prove and that the person throwing that at you needs to prove that what you posted was not true. Not only that, but posting that 'this member is banned' is not considered libel. The only thing you're doing is announcing to your community that a user was banned. This is NOT libel.

I'm not a lawyer, I'm not about to take advice on a forum, nor agree or disagree with you, but simply state that the hassle that was caused by the ban message being in place led my forum to remove the label entirely. It caused a considerable amount of grief and the former member had no intention of letting up.

I'd come back to my first point though, there really is no need to label a person banned. If members ask, tell them it's none of their business. It's quite simple when moderation decisions are elevated above membership scrutiny.

9 hours ago, Teddy Rogers said:

I didn't know that, thanks for the information. Ideally I would still like to see something like this in the main forum view so I don't have to view each and every members profile to find out...

Ted.

Would be nice to see IPS update this on the usercard or the little user info next to posts.

• 5 weeks later...

Our problem is with the upgrade, it now doubles our membership.  This is very misleading to a high traffic site when people ask what your membership is and it shows a false positive number.

Is there a way to ensure that these members are grouped and not tallied in the totals on the site or on member lists etc?  I'm quite tired of users xxxatmeeeeeplease  makes our site look very in-credible.

• 5 months later...
On 7/2/2016 at 1:47 AM, MADMAN32395 said:

You add a rule to check if they have x amoubt of warning points, and if equal or higher it moves them to the group you selected.

But does this make their profile not-viewable?

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but whatever preference we each may have, going forward it's easy enough to add new bans to a banned group of so desired. My problem is that I currently have around 2500 banned members that do not show as banned in the front end of the board. If this had always been the case, it probably wouldn't be a problem, but following our recent upgrade, it's generating rather a lot of PMs asking if such-and-such a member is back ;)

What I need is a simple way of moving all existing banned members into a re-created 'Banned' group, (which I lost during the upgrade from IPB3.x to 4.2..x.). Any way to do it?

• Management
19 minutes ago, Tersono said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but whatever preference we each may have, going forward it's easy enough to add new bans to a banned group of so desired. My problem is that I currently have around 2500 banned members that do not show as banned in the front end of the board. If this had always been the case, it probably wouldn't be a problem, but following our recent upgrade, it's generating rather a lot of PMs asking if such-and-such a member is back ;)

What I need is a simple way of moving all existing banned members into a re-created 'Banned' group, (which I lost during the upgrade from IPB3.x to 4.2..x.). Any way to do it?

Can you not just rename your group to "Banned" ?

1 hour ago, Charles said:

Can you not just rename your group to "Banned" ?

What group? He has 2,500 banned members who are in groups such as Members or whatever.

In older versions of IPB, a banned user was moved to a Banned group.

Back in 3.4 (I think) this behaviour changed - a banned user is now flagged as banned, and stays in their group. Upgrading from a version where the Banned group existed, to a new version where it doesn't results in those Banned group members no longer being a member of a Banned group....they are still banned though, because they are flagged as banned.

Result: Joe Bloggs is used to seeing 'Banned' as the user's group. They now see Members or whatever....instant reaction: Oh, they've been unbanned.

What to do? Move those flagged users back to the Banned group. But that can't be done easily en masse - it's one by one.

In an ideal world either:

• the advanced member search in the ACP would have an option to find banned users, and then you could move the resulting search results to a Banned group (just like it does in 3.4.x with the 'Member Status Filter' option which was removed in IPS 4)
  • the member list in the ACP would have the ability to select all users....which would mean that you just go to the Banned list, select all and then move them (again, possible in 3.4.x and not possible in IPS 4)

On 8/16/2017 at 2:20 PM, Lindy said:

I've logged a feature request to get "banned" added to: 

Members_2017-08-16_15-14-37.png

I have no ETA, however. 

This might already be available, but IPS should verify if Banned membergroups and banning actions will interface with the new Group Promotion feature in 4.2.  If you're able to setup an action in Group Promotion to ban, that should automatically move members to a Banned membergroup.  

Archived