Community members don't like all the IPB changes.

vpsBoard

19 minutes ago, Tracy Perry said:

It may be.. but do you have a valid workable replacement for said dinosaur?  

The functionality for simple bb code replacements is still there: ACP → Customization → Toolbars → Add Button → Custom
The difference to the old “real” bb codes is that the code is now directly converted to HTML after you used the button. 

Media codes, i.e. turning URLs into embedding snippets, can be done with the editor, but there is no interface anymore to set up custom replacements. 
But this plugin will provide it: https://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/7509-media-tags/

3 minutes ago, opentype said:

Media codes, i.e. turning URLs into embedding snippets, can be done with the editor, but there is no interface anymore to set up custom replacements. 
But this plugin will provide it: https://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/7509-media-tags/

Thanks, but we are back to the point I had about constant throwing money at it for add-ons to do stuff that I'm used to in other scripts natively (and that apparently was done in the 3.x series also).  Not only that, you are then dependent upon that third party keeping that add-on up to date (I'm already facing issues with one add-on that the author hasn't gotten updated to work with the 4.1 series yet).

why would anyone just willynilly upgrade without running a test suite and allowing user feedback on it first? My users hate that we lost themes they loved (we're working on it), my staff hates that some of our addons ceased to function properly (we're working on it). These two issues ensured our main site is still 3.4.x (which is STILL supported) while we continue testing and resolving issues. 

This gave me 1) happy users 2) happy staff 3) the ability to actively show the community what is going on in the test/dev ipb4 environment we have.  You really can't blame anyone but yourself for unhappy users. Always test major releases first (this is a life lesson, not only applicable to IPB)

if you do run things in a test/dev environment provide feedback! perhaps some of the things you hate, love, or dont care about will be changed or modified based on your feedback. IPB4 is still getting updated fairly frequently (and for the better, IMO)

5 hours ago, Jason P. said:

why would anyone just willynilly upgrade without running a test suite and allowing user feedback on it first? My users hate that we lost themes they loved (we're working on it), my staff hates that some of our addons ceased to function properly (we're working on it). These two issues ensured our main site is still 3.4.x (which is STILL supported) while we continue testing and resolving issues. 

This gave me 1) happy users 2) happy staff 3) the ability to actively show the community what is going on in the test/dev ipb4 environment we have.  You really can't blame anyone but yourself for unhappy users. Always test major releases first (this is a life lesson, not only applicable to IPB)

if you do run things in a test/dev environment provide feedback! perhaps some of the things you hate, love, or dont care about will be changed or modified based on your feedback. IPB4 is still getting updated fairly frequently (and for the better, IMO)

I don't think a test site is a practical way to make sure if a release like 4.0 is stable enough to be upgrade worthy. You would need to have ample server resources to test it out, and have it running for many months, but still not getting any closer to a reliable conclusion. One day, you would see, after months of testing, that great many bugs had been solved, and your test site was [more] stable, and you could finally upgrade your community. When few weeks had passed you would hit a new bug or some other difficulty.

On 11/14/2015, 6:38:07, Morrigan said:

LOL I actually think I saw more complaints for the upgrade from the 2.x series to 3.x series. The 3.x series to 4.x series is quite amazing. The improvements that have happened are amazing and they keep going and getting better.

Anytime I've either moved to different forum software (UBB->phpBB->Invision) or the forum software has been significantly upgraded, there are always people who will complain loudly.  Mostly I think it's because people become "comfortable" with a site and then one day, HOLY COW EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT.  Many people don't like change.  But invariably they will get used to the new software, and I don't think I've actually ever lost members because of such a change. I know the grumbling will occur yet again when I move from 3.4.8 to 4.x, as it's essentially all new.  

I personally have mixed feelings about moving to 4.1.  There are many changes I really like, and there are some areas I'm not crazy about.  I will need to do a full migration on a test forum to make sure there aren't any issues with the upgrade, and that the performance is acceptable. There are some areas that are pretty important to me (like a robust, reliable search engine) that I need to fully test before I switch.  Upgrading is going to be a huge pain in the ass because it's a large forum (over three million posts) with a custom skin (and many third-party skins), custom code changes that I will need to rewrite (things like being able to give edit rights to specific posts and forums, getting emails instantly when specific terms appear in a post, etc.), and other non-trivial areas.  I expect to spend a solid week working on the migration. 

But, even with all the work, I look forward to getting onto 4.1 (or whatever it is at the time, maybe 4.2!)  IP.Board 3.4.x is getting a bit long in the tooth now. :)

I personally don't mind the new editor, although I still have mixed feelings about the line spacing.  The absence of BBcodes is really going to throw a lot of people for a loop.  On the other hand, being able to install plugins for things like tables will be a HUGE improvement.  The editor is pretty damn important, since that's how users enter new content, and it's important that it works well.  I'm also not sure how the lack of a "preview" will go over with users.  Even if the post content looks the same as it does in the editor, being able to see your post as it would appear in the context of the thread, and not having all the editor/post chrome around it, is probably comforting for people.  

It will be an interesting ride, that's for sure. 

..Al

• Management
2 hours ago, elnomio said:

That`s not spoiler. It`s something like that. There are a lot of HUGE topics om my site and I do need a normal spoiler. I want to name one (not that stupid "Hidden contents"), I need spoilers under spoilers and so on. 

Spoiler

I think you're confused. 

Spoiler

You can do spoilers in IPS4.

2 hours ago, Lindy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think you're confused. 

Reveal hidden contents

You can do spoilers in IPS4.

This demonstrates a bit better what it is that he wants to be able to do......

spoiler.png.36493743b70ad6683075aab64a0f

Which can't be done because:

a) you can't set a title on the spoiler

b) the new spoiler can't be nested if you use the old bbcode....I believe this did parse previously:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Which means that the following doesn't work for nesting it:

[spoiler][spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

It does nest if you click the spoiler icon, enter some text then click the icon again and fill out some text....

Spoiler

Testing

Spoiler

Testing again.

Spoiler

And again.

Spoiler

And again

On 11/15/2015, 11:49:23, Lindy said:

Guys, if you have specific feedback for the editor, it's very important to keep it isolated in individual topics so it's not lost. I've logged "insert other media" feedback, but please start new topics for new and different suggestions. 

As for editor issues, if you're experiencing a bug - please report it to the bug tracker or submit a ticket. Obvious bias aside, I don't find the editor buggy at all apart from the quote concern Tracy has expressed, which is being addressed. Every issue I'm aware of that has surfaced since 4.0 has been addressed. Performance, mobile improvements, etc. 

I know some have their favorites based on what's familiar and what works better for them - but there is no perfect WYSIWYG editor. Redactor, CKE, TinyMCE all have pros and cons -- one working well for one particular software implementation doesn't necessarily it make it better or worse.

Please focus on targeted feedback - we're happy to accommodate. Again, things like quote deletion/confusion, draft clearing, etc. are things we've heard and are working on as we speak. 

Related to Insert Other Media: It would be nice if there were Insert Gallery Album and Insert Gallery Item options.  We use this often for building articles. I assume that others might want the Blog Entries and Events options... I could see those being useful in scenarios other than my own.

56539ab4c1495_Medialibraries.thumb.png.7

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, vpsBoard said:

Sorry, been quite busy lately.

"BB code is a fossil"

And to think that the largest forum on the internet, reddit, still uses markdown syntax. I guess they didn't get the IPB memo.

Well reddit's design is incredibly dated so it is no surprise that they use an outdated thing like BBcode :p

Archived