Licensing Request

Bluto

I'd love to see every developer be required to put their license when listing a marketplace item.  I want to know the terms.  Can I use the mod on 1 or 100 sites?  Is it going to cost me $40 for the mod or $120 to use it on 3 of my sites.  Several mods I looked at don't even have licensing terms, there were a few exceptions.  I shouldn't have to comb through a support topic or visit an external website to find the licensing terms.

I don't want to read the license after I purchase it (inside the downloaded folder) and realize I can only use it on one site or that my shoes have to be blue to use it on Tuesday's.

Thanks!

I guess it could be listed with a custom profile field of some sort (dropdown) just with basic options:

1. On all authors sites

2. One site per file purchase

3. Up to 3 sites per purchase

4. Multiple discounts available. Contact for specifics

I've not worded that very well, but hopefully it makes some sense.

@Adriano Faria that makes sense.  Maybe breaking the paid mods into a separate subdomain would make more sense... free stuff in the general marketplace.  After all, I'm a paying customer and "keeping things stock" shouldn't be an excuse for a service which is making money from me as a customer.  If they're losing sales because they don't want to add options for the sellers, than they're losing money.  The marketplace shouldn't be a "demo" for the suite, it should be a functional marketplace which is tailored to both the seller and the customer.

"Overall" I'd like to see a license required.

Personally, I'd like to know if the license is for 1 site or as may sites as I own, especially if I'm paying $40, $60 for the mod.

• Management

We can ask that authors include specific terms in their submission descriptions, but we can't force them to devise their own license agreement. If you're uncertain about license terms, I think most contributors would welcome pre-sales inquiries and it may encourage them to be concise with their terms in their listings. 

The general terms are one purchase for one licensed site unless otherwise stated. I'll update the marketplace terms to reflect this and also encourage contributors to be more clear in their terms. 

Currently, I use Binpress to generate license agreements for my plugins applications. It's nice, but their license generator is a bit buggy. This nonetheless generates licenses that can explicitly state how many installations are allowed among other general software usage and support terms. (You can see examples on any of my commercial marketplace listings for IPS4).

I plan to write my own license generator of sorts as an application for IPS4 eventually, mainly for my own use, but I'll happily post it here whenever I do for other developers to make use of. (I want to spend some time researching to try and write up as clean and legally sound of a licensing template as I can first.)

5 minutes ago, Makoto said:

Currently, I use Binpress to generate license agreements for my plugins applications. It's nice, but their license generator is a bit buggy. This nonetheless generates licenses that can explicitly state how many installations are allowed among other general software usage and support terms. (You can see examples on any of my commercial marketplace listings for IPS4).

I plan to write my own license generator of sorts as an application for IPS4 eventually, mainly for my own use, but I'll happily post it here whenever I do for other developers to make use of. (I want to spend some time researching to try and write up as clean and legally sound of a licensing template as I can first.)

Thank you for putting the licensing terms in your listing.  It's especially useful if I'm buying a non-free item and want to use it on multiple sites.  Thanks!

Archived