Koby

Is there really no way to disable the cropper, or at the very least allow it to change shape?

It's hard-coded as a perfect square crop, but many forums these days utilize rectangle avatars that are longer than they are wide but it's impossible here because of the way the crop tool works. By default IPS has avatars set to rounded anyhow, but crops in a square.

I'm not alone in wanting this to be able to be customized. Here is multiple people talking about rectangle avatars and attempting to make them work, but they end up looking like crap because they get cropped into a square and then stretched back into a rectangle given the current way avatars work: https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/410265-show-us-your-ipb-4-sites/?do=findComment&comment=2591221

This is what I hope to be able to accomplish:

Untitled20151031014339.png.59b8cd588241cb7d19a3950.jpg088a13f3c1.jpg

At the very least allow the ability to not crop when an image fits within the required resolution limits set for the user.
But it'd be ideal if the crop tool allowed a user to shape it instead of only working as a square.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Squares and circles are your avatar options. Both have the same height and width. So why allow cropping to non-square rectangles?

Do I really have to repeat myself? o.O

many forums these days utilize rectangle avatars that are longer than they are wide

It's not hard to you know, edit css and allow different sized avatars that aren't round or squared; the issue is that we're forced into cropping (even if an image doesn't require a crop) and that forced cropped is in a forced square that is not adjustable. Just seems silly to disallow such a small customization.

At the very least allow the ability to not crop when an image fits within the required resolution limits set for the user.

Just now, Koby said:

Do I really have to repeat myself? o.O

No. I read what you wrote.

Your forum doesn't even have non-square avatars. From a little experience, non-square avatars can cause problems with styling and the overall look of the site in many areas.

So, the crop tool suits the way they feel (square, circle) avatars should be displayed.

No. I read what you wrote.

Your forum doesn't even have non-square avatars. From a little experience, non-square avatars can cause problems with styling and the overall look of the site in many areas.

So, the crop tool suits the way they feel (square, circle) avatars should be displayed.

My forum doesn't have non-squares because of the way the crop tool is so limited. It'd be silly for me to style it to allow rectangles if it's impossible to allow a user to have a rectangle.

It doesn't break things elsewhere. Like I said, it's become the norm at a lot of communities outside of IPS.

Just because you're afraid of customization doesn't mean I am. Even if it did break something elsewhere in the design; that'd be where you would go and fix it or style differently. It's not rocket science here.

I'm also not the only one who thinks this; I've read several other topics in this forum here where other clients were trying to use rectangles and managed to do so with css without breaking anything else; but the avatars looked like faeces regardless because of being cropped to a square then stretched back into a rectangle.

Just now, Koby said:

My forum doesn't have non-squares because of the way the crop tool is so limited. It'd be silly for me to style it to allow rectangles if it's impossible to allow a user to have a rectangle.

You could edit your avatar to be a rectangle. You have not.

Just now, Koby said:

Just because you're afraid of customization doesn't mean I am. Even if it did break something elsewhere in the design; that'd be where you would go and fix it or style differently. It's not rocket science here.

I'm not afraid of customization. You know what they say about assuming.

It's not rocket science, no, but there are many, many other areas that need and deserve attention first, and I actually appreciate that they're all squares or circles. I see it as a feature that the square/circle is enforced, not a bug or a problem.

29 minutes ago, Koby said:

Can you stop wasting my time with your silly responses.

:yawn: Heaven forbid someone disagree with you and point out reasons why.

I only respond after your respond. Facebook has all square avatars, I'll point out.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

:yawn: Heaven forbid someone disagree with you and point out reasons why.

I only respond after your respond. Facebook has all square avatars, I'll point out.

Disagreeing isn't the same as simply not understanding. When I've got to repeat myself multiple times and you still have no clue what I'm talking about, it becomes silly for me to bother with. You have yet to give a valid reason why it needed to be this way or why it shouldn't be changed other than claiming you like it as-is with it's limitations. I've already pointed out on multiple occasions how limited it is and the fact that forcing rectangles out of cropped squares looks awful; yet you're wasting time saying things like "Your forum doesn't even have non-square avatars." and "You could edit your avatar to be a rectangle. You have not.". Again, yes I can do so, but it looks like faeces when you stretch an image out of it's aspect ratio and there is absolutely no reason I should have to go through rectangle -> square crop -> stretch back to rectangle just to make a simple thing such as this work correctly, when it's possible to do in every other software apparently.

3 minutes ago, Koby said:

Disagreeing isn't the same as simply not understanding. When I've got to repeat myself multiple times and you still have no clue what I'm talking about, it becomes silly for me to bother with. You have yet to give a valid reason why it needed to be this way or why it shouldn't be changed other than claiming you like it as-is with it's limitations. I've already pointed out on multiple occasions how limited it is and the fact that forcing rectangles out of cropped squares looks awful; yet you're wasting time saying things like "Your forum doesn't even have non-square avatars." and "You could edit your avatar to be a rectangle. You have not.". Again, yes I can do so, but it looks like faeces when you stretch an image out of it's aspect ratio and there is absolutely no reason I should have to go through rectangle -> square crop -> stretch back to rectangle just to make a simple thing such as this work correctly, when it's possible to do in every other software apparently.

I understand just fine, buddy, but tell yourself whatever you like. You could have edited your avatar to be non-square on your own forum, and edited the theme or CSS files where necessary to display it properly, but you haven't even done that.

Have a good evening.

I understand just fine, buddy, but tell yourself whatever you like. You could have edited your avatar to be non-square on your own forum, and edited the theme or CSS files where necessary to display it properly, but you haven't even done that.

Have a good evening.

Again.

Again, yes I can do so, but it looks like faeces when you stretch an image out of it's aspect ratio and there is absolutely no reason I should have to go through rectangle -> square crop -> stretch back to rectangle just to make a simple thing such as this work correctly

Just stop.

Just because all you want on your forum is default IPS with a bg change and header color change; doesn't mean everyone else wants it that way.

We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get basic functionality due to limitations set on something that shouldn't have such limits.

This entire thread has turned into nothing more than repeating the exact same response that you've yet to grasp but keep responding pointlessly about.

The fact is, the ONLY way to obtain rectangles is to STRETCH a square or CSS-CROP an already forced cropped image. Stretching a square into a rectangle either means cropping again with css or changing aspect ratio. There is absolutely no reason I should have to crop a rectangle into a square then force css to crop it back into a rectangle all over again when it could simply be allowed not to crop in the first place. As for simply stretching the square into a rectangle thereby changing the aspect ratio, it looks like utter faeces. So yes, for the umpteen time; while it's possible for me to do, it's a lose-lose situation with the current limitations set with the forced square crop.

We should be able to upload an avatar without being forced to crop it if it fits within the specified dimensions set for their user group. Period.

Regardless of all other things considered.

2 minutes ago, Koby said:

The fact is, the ONLY way to obtain rectangles is to STRETCH a square or CSS-CROP an already forced cropped image.

Proof above. I didn't change the aspect ratio, the shape of the pixels… nothing. Every version of the image was rectangular. Yes, I did it in such a way that only a mod or admin could do it, but… I just spent another few minutes and removed the square cropping limit(s) on the crop tool so any user could do it.

https://github.com/fengyuanchen/cropper

I wouldn't ever really want to leave this modification in on my forum, but hey, it wasn't all that difficult.

Have a good evening.

I think @Koby's point is that it would be nice if it was native.  You will find most Anime/Gamer sites are partial to the rectangular avatars.  It would be nice to have it as an option - but barring that, I'm sure that an add-on could be created (God how I hate saying that) that extends default action.  The problem with editing source files/templates directly is they get tramped upon upgrade.

1 minute ago, Tracy Perry said:

I think @Koby's point is that it would be nice if it was native.  You will find most Anime/Gamer sites are partial to the rectangular avatars.  It would be nice to have it as an option - but barring that, I'm sure that an add-on could be created (God how I hate saying that) that extends default action.  The problem with editing source files/templates directly is they get tramped upon upgrade.

While true, in this case it's one file you have to worry about, really. Custom themes and even just custom.css won't be over-written. Keep a spare copy of the open source cropping tool and replace it as necessary. If non-square or non-circular avatars are your jam, either have a plan for them or don't use IPS 4.x.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

While true, in this case it's one file you have to worry about, really. Custom themes and even just custom.css won't be over-written. Keep a spare copy of the open source cropping tool and replace it as necessary. If non-square or non-circular avatars are your jam, either have a plan for them or don't use IPS 4.x.

It always starts as only one file here, then it goes to one file there, and then goes to the templates that you have to redo each time an upgrade occurs that changes the default templates.  That's the basic point.  Simplification would be to make it internal to the script (surely not that big of a change).

I personally HATE the "There's an add-on for that" saying that is prevalent in the IPS community - but this is probably a case in which the requested feature would be better served by an add-on as I can see it causing styling issues in the default style.

10 hours ago, Tracy Perry said:

It always starts as only one file here, then it goes to one file there, and then goes to the templates that you have to redo each time an upgrade occurs that changes the default templates.  That's the basic point.  Simplification would be to make it internal to the script (surely not that big of a change).

This isn't that many files. Especially if you have a custom theme. It's one file, and an open-source one at that.

And hey, he's the one wanting a solution. I don't want that solution: I'm happy to have squares enforced.

10 hours ago, Tracy Perry said:

I personally HATE the "There's an add-on for that" saying that is prevalent in the IPS community - but this is probably a case in which the requested feature would be better served by an add-on as I can see it causing styling issues in the default style.

Yup.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

You could give them the choice - use 2 themes, one with rounded photos and one without, naming them to give the obvious difference....user can then choose a theme.

Yes, but of course… That wouldn't change the user's avatar - it would just change how they see every avatar.

Others would see every avatar based on their settings.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yes, but of course… That wouldn't change the user's avatar - it would just change how they see every avatar.

Others would see every avatar based on their settings.

I was providing assistance to the person asking where to find the option to handle whether to show rounded photos or not - not advising on how to change avatars at all, so not sure what your point is.

Archived