Make better use of reputation / like information

rgf100

I've just mentioned this twice in other topics with reference to the activity streams and search functions, but I'm sticking it up separately as I really do think it's important. 

The use of the reputation system in content discovery seems to be zero. Here we are, our members telling us 'this is a good post' - and we don't seem to be able to use that info. Right off the top of my head here are some ways we could be using that information:

1) Show me posts with 10 or more likes - instantly you're getting a 'best of the board' feed
2) Search for posts in topics with '4.1 upgrade failed', rank by likes - you get solutions or explanations of the problem
3) Show me posts by users with over 1,000 likes - find out what our most valuable users are saying
4) Blocks of most popular posts over the last 7/28/365 days - showcase to new members of our  best content; stuff to highlight in the newsletter
5) Show me my highest rated posts - the ultimate ego-search. What do people love most about you?
6) People who liked this post also liked...
7) Loads of others, I bet

I find it remarkable that the time was taken to let us filter by number of replies or views, but not by how GOOD something has been judged to be. Major missed opportunity, IMHO. 

Now, it is traditional at this point for someone to point out that actually all of these things are possible, I just haven't noticed how. Do go ahead...

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

More ideas:

Allow users to only get notifications for content that gets x likes. 

Filter Activity Streams by likes. 

Neej, I used to have one in 3.5, haven't rewritten it yet. 

The Leaderboard is a step in the right direction, but there's way more that could be done. This shouldn't be a separate section, it should be integrated into other functions as much as possible. 

Edited by rgf100

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was going to post a new topic about this, but figured I'd bump this. Here's what I wrote:

I just need to register disappointment that 4.4 hasn't boosted filter options for topic and post feed blocks. Here's a long list of reasons why

1) Let us filter by number of likes / reactions. Bang, an instant 'best content of the week' block. 

The end. There's a popular contributors block. There's a 'popular now' block which won't highlight *post* content (how does that calculate popularity, btw?). There's popular content under the leaderboard page, but who checks that regularly?

As far as I can see, there's no way to automatically surface popular post / comment level content. That's surely a huge oversight. Our members, clicking reaction buttons, spend all day telling us what they like, or what's funny, or what's annoying. And that information remains buried. 

Genuinely disappointed in the lack of engagement on this. If it's a dumb idea that has been rightfully ignored for 3.5 years, say so and I'll be quiet about it. If I've missed some new option in 4.4, I'll put my hands up and apologise. 

Edit: AND imagine how powerful this would be with social media promotion. Automatically (or automatically queue for admin approval) post to Twitter any post that gets X likes. The site would run itself!

Edited by rgf100

• 1 year later...
On 3/4/2021 at 7:07 AM, rgf100 said:

I'm flogging a dead horse here, but... I still can't filter a post block by number of reactions.

I like this idea. It's a cool way to show what posts are popular for that day/week (whatever set time period). 

We are working on an Achievements system right now, so perhaps it's a good time to address this and see if it's feasible. I will circle back when I hear one way or the other.

I think IPS really needs to see how the big sales sites are done in order to keep up to date properly.

See how the dashboard is very intuitive.

See how easy it is to display what we want to see.

We should take here a post of ten pages and more as an example by thinking about how to display only what is interesting, by the use of filters or other.

On 3/5/2021 at 4:53 PM, Jordan Invision said:

I like this idea. It's a cool way to show what posts are popular for that day/week (whatever set time period). 

We are working on an Achievements system right now, so perhaps it's a good time to address this and see if it's feasible. I will circle back when I hear one way or the other.

The 'popular posts' bit in the new topic summaries are a step in the right direction. But there's so much more that could be done. 

While people are paying attention, can I point you towards this seminal 2017 post suggesting the use of reputation information to automate / semi-automate social media promotion. Take either the X top posts, or all posts with X+ reputation, and push those to social media, or load them up for promotion to await an admin edit / approval / rejection. In one fell swoop, you've automated getting the best of your site out into the wild. 

1 hour ago, rgf100 said:

While people are paying attention, can I point you towards this seminal 2017 post suggesting the use of reputation information to automate / semi-automate social media promotion. Take either the X top posts, or all posts with X+ reputation, and push those to social media, or load them up for promotion to await an admin edit / approval / rejection. In one fell swoop, you've automated getting the best of your site out into the wild. 

I like where your head is at! 

My first thought... should posts with the most reactions be a qualifier for them to be pushed onto social media? It might not make sense to people on Twitter to see a Tweet that's a reply. Maybe I'm wrong here 😅

I see what you're saying, and it might not always be ideal - but if they're just queued up for approval rather than published, there's scope for editing. And it's also about what people expect - if you specifically market it as 'here's our best posts, don't forget to check out the full discussion', for example, people know what they're getting. At least with my site, I think if I could get the most popular posts in front of people's noses, it'd be valuable. The occasional false positive when everyone upvotes a two word inside joke won't do much harm, and can be removed later or caught during an approval process. 

There's scope for bad actors to, eg, spam reputation to get their posts onto the social media feeds, but again, it's not necessarily the end of the world. No need to let the perfect be the enemy of the "really useful, and we could have had it years ago."