What happened to Members List?

Koby

A lot of my users liked going through the member list to see older users, view top posters, etc... various sort options.
It seems the member list page is something non-existent now?

How are users expected to search and locate a particular user now?

• 3 weeks later...

Gone, along with View New Content.  They asked why we wanted it, many people provided solid reasons and they simply said they don't agree.  Well, that's the way I recall it, but I'm biased since found both of those now deleted features to be useful.  I was hoping a mod would be created, but I guess I was wrong on the need from other members.

On 10/30/2015, 5:52:51, Rikki said:

The search form has a full member search :) 

The problem with using Search, is there is no way to find members by a specific region. Even if they add some info in their Location field, it never seems to be able to use that.

Our members frequently get together for local, regional, and national get togethers. We also refer other members in our local to clients. It would be nice if there was a way to use their IP to automatically add it then prompt them some how to modify/edit.

The other problem with using Searching for members is it is not intuitive. If I filter for Members and click on a specific group and add no other data in the fields I get an error. Is this a bug or WAD?

Sorry, there is a problem

Something went wrong. Please try again.

Error code: EX2

How does the user know?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Management
49 minutes ago, bassangler said:

This is frustrating.  I just migrated to 4.x and not a day later my members are asking where the member list went.  They're not happy. I have 51,000+ members saying IPS is wrong.

Whenever I see a sweeping statement like "51,000+ members saying IPS is wrong" -- I like to take the time and personally investigate for myself. I think you'd find we often check out customer sites and read their public forums so we can get further insight as to what issues exist and we do often make changes as a result - we're proactive like that. :) I couldn't find any mention of the member list, but the two feedback topics I did read regarding the upgrade were 10 happy people vs 2 who didn't like the change... given you most often only hear the bad, I'd say your upgrade was a booming success (and your site looks fantastic by the way!)

Usually, there are a small percentage of people that detest any form of change, sometimes even on principle. As site owners and administrators, it's easy to consider any adversity to change as an epidemic. It is, however, important to quantify what's an issue and what's "I don't like change." In reality, there's little that can't be done with this vs the old "member list" - you can sort by post count, joined date, reputation and of course member name. You can filter by a wide array of criteria. Putting a "member list" link as you've done usually solves the problem. 

Ultimately, it's not really possible to go forward while also going backward. Your members seem happy and have cited the "fresh" and "modern" improvements. Sometimes that experience comes at a very small relative cost of shedding some not-so-fresh bloat like having a dedicated member "list" module that essentially does what we have within the search module. 

@Lindy When I made this topic I wasn't aware the list was hidden inside the search page. Anyhow, it's fine like it is and we can add the link to our navigation if wanted. My only minor gripe is that we end up with a link like: https://community.invisionpower.com/search/?type=core_members&group[4]=1&group[8]=1&group[9]=1&group[3]=1&group[10]=1&group[11]=1&group[6]=1&group[16]=1&group[17]=1&group[13]=1&group[15]=1&sortby=member_posts&sortdirection=desc&page=1

Instead of something simple like site.com/members/ just to have a quick, short, and easy to remember address to the member list sorted by users content contribution.

42 minutes ago, Koby said:

@Lindy When I made this topic I wasn't aware the list was hidden inside the search page. Anyhow, it's fine like it is and we can add the link to our navigation if wanted. My only minor gripe is that we end up with a link like: https://community.invisionpower.com/search/?type=core_members&group[4]=1&group[8]=1&group[9]=1&group[3]=1&group[10]=1&group[11]=1&group[6]=1&group[16]=1&group[17]=1&group[13]=1&group[15]=1&sortby=member_posts&sortdirection=desc&page=1

Instead of something simple like site.com/members/ just to have a quick, short, and easy to remember address to the member list sorted by users content contribution.

working on that.

6 hours ago, Lindy said:

In reality, there's little that can't be done with this vs the old "member list" - you can sort by post count, joined date, reputation and of course member name.

That's true and it's what I use on my site.  The only issue is the sort only works for the first page, as soon you you click to go to the next page, it resets itself.  I've reported this as a bug, not sure if it's going to be fixed.

I "real" members page would be nice to have back.

On 10/30/2015 at 5:53 PM, Square Wheels said:

IPS felt is was not needed.

Instead you have this, which really stinks.

/index.php?/search/&type=core_members&sortby=member_posts&sortdirection=desc&page=1  (add to the end of your forum URL)

I really thought someone would make a really nice members page, but it hasn't happened yet.

Can't you just create a menu item (members) with a link to this url on your site and have a direct link to the page?

11 hours ago, Lindy said:

I like to take the time and personally investigate for myself. I think you'd find we often check out customer sites and read their public forums so we can get further insight as to what issues exist and we do often make changes as a result - we're proactive like that.

Ah, seems more like a quest to prove you're right, rather than addressing a customer issue.  Struck a nerve, I suppose. 

You did not read my emails nor PM's on Facebook, which is where I was getting the complaints.  No, it wasn't 51k, but there were a number of complaints mentioning the missing list - enough for me to be concerned about my members and actually address it, rather than attempt to defend it.

No worries though.  I figured out the URL to show the members list, then added it to the menu bar.  Solved it myself.

On 10/30/2015 at 5:52 PM, Rikki said:

The search form has a full member search :) 

This doesn't seem to have near the same functionality OR I don't know how to use it properly.  Please see below.

On 11/19/2015 at 7:30 AM, Michael R said:

The problem with using Search, is there is no way to find members by a specific region. Even if they add some info in their Location field, it never seems to be able to use that.

Our members frequently get together for local, regional, and national get togethers. We also refer other members in our local to clients. It would be nice if there was a way to use their IP to automatically add it then prompt them some how to modify/edit.

The other problem with using Searching for members is it is not intuitive. If I filter for Members and click on a specific group and add no other data in the fields I get an error. Is this a bug or WAD?

How does the user know?

Point well made.

17 hours ago, Lindy said:

Whenever I see a sweeping statement like "51,000+ members saying IPS is wrong" -- I like to take the time and personally investigate for myself. I think you'd find we often check out customer sites and read their public forums so we can get further insight as to what issues exist and we do often make changes as a result - we're proactive like that. :) I couldn't find any mention of the member list, but the two feedback topics I did read regarding the upgrade were 10 happy people vs 2 who didn't like the change... given you most often only hear the bad, I'd say your upgrade was a booming success (and your site looks fantastic by the way!)

Usually, there are a small percentage of people that detest any form of change, sometimes even on principle. As site owners and administrators, it's easy to consider any adversity to change as an epidemic. It is, however, important to quantify what's an issue and what's "I don't like change." In reality, there's little that can't be done with this vs the old "member list" - you can sort by post count, joined date, reputation and of course member name. You can filter by a wide array of criteria. Putting a "member list" link as you've done usually solves the problem. 

Ultimately, it's not really possible to go forward while also going backward. Your members seem happy and have cited the "fresh" and "modern" improvements. Sometimes that experience comes at a very small relative cost of shedding some not-so-fresh bloat like having a dedicated member "list" module that essentially does what we have within the search module. 

I might be missing something here, so please correct me if so.

1.thumb.png.1cbbf9318ebc22324283349ad574

In 3.4, I can search for members, which are in a specific field.  Can 4.1 do this?

2.2.png.42dae06eb2c9e8432c7419d41e1a6e74

I can also search for members with a certain user group in 3.4.

3.thumb.png.a7a1fc31a48ddf010948d3088004

When I search within 4.1 to see who is what user group, in this example, Contributors, here's what the results return:

4.thumb.png.fdb70a35cb0832009142a5c8f355

In other words, you can't seem to search who is in what user group in 4.1.  From several searches that I performed, you must enter a search term. 

What am I missing here on how to use the member search functionality?

51 minutes ago, jackflash said:

In other words, you can't seem to search who is in what user group in 4.1.  From several searches that I performed, you must enter a search term. 

What am I missing here on how to use the member search functionality?

Marked as not a bug...

So I posted this:

EDIT:

Fix is coming. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 19 de dezembro de 2015 at 5:42 AM, Koby said:

Thanks!

Archived