Stream auto-update... why not open the results, or float the message (or put at bottom)? Here's why...

chilihead

The AA stream auto updates, very cool. But it is kind of pointless...

• If the intent is for people that keep the stream open and like to read new results as they come in, why make them click every time? It should automatically load. Makes reading a stream much easier. Hands-free.

Maybe it is not designed for that? Okay then...

• If the intent is to load new results as you are scrolling and viewing the stream, it is pointless because it is at the top and never seen, everything loads at the bottom. Maybe put it at the bottom (also?), or floating at the top of the window, so we know. Or similar to the alert at the bottom for topics. We don't know unless we scroll to the top (or if we know from the "pushed" result we still have to scroll up) and we could be 100 results down.

So really it is not the best solution for either situation, imo it should just load, or the alert needs to be where we are in the stream, and snap to the top when clicking (or even insert those results where we are, with borders).

Thanks

or just bring pagination back,

google had this scroll down to browse more result but after a while they removed that and brought back pagination so go figure

@Matt for laptop/tablet/phone users if you continue to scroll down and ends up a really long page then your browser will end  up eating more ram and eventually browser hangs. this is a feature i dont really like. 

I think pagination can work in conjunction and yes that is another issue, I suggested it in another topic:

On 10/29/2015, 1:33:04, chilihead said:

re: pagination

Each time you load activity, it loads 25 results. These sections could be treated as pages. You could show the load more and a "pagination" (without using the word pages) highlight at bottom just to the right of the load button. Every time you load more it highlights the next number. So you are still loading more vertically but you have markers. You could allow jump ahead, and also use a max "pagination" of, say, 10, so if on result 2, the end would be 11. Just brainstorming. :) 

But markers would be great for when returning, and that is the main concern really. If I'm on 4 and I return I just go to 4 which would still be a vertical load of it all but would jump to the 4th section of loads. For speed you may trim the top.

The original answer awhile back was so you don't lose your place with new/old but now the stream has the blue divider when you load the new, so you could just show that the first time it auto loads. With the divider now there is no more need to manually load. :) 

You could say the same would happen if you clicked to open them. But there is a divider line now. So basically even if auto-loading you would scroll until you saw the divider line. It would be there from only the first auto-load so anything under is where you were.

A setting would be nice in admin. :)

• 1 year later...

Archived