4.1 - Ability to cache remote images

OctoDev

We have a option now to finally proxy remote images, however this could be quiet bandwidth draining to constantly download, then upload to client. Some other forum softwares, have ability to cache the images, where we can cache them for example one day, or a week.

This would save a lot of bandwidth using it. Option to cache image, and set cache length. Also set max size for images to be served. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Lindy said:

It's something we're going to look at in a future release and unfortunately didn't make the cut for 4.1. 

Cheers, that would be awesome.

Not too sure how long you can extend it, to even let us cache using memcached? i have 32GB Ram so would have no issue lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, nodle said:

When enabling this option does it download and store the image permanently, or does it just fetch it temporary and then delete itself?

You can configure this. You can cache for a number of days or indefinitely. If you elect to cache for a number of days and the content is viewed after the cache has expired, it will be re-retrieved and cached again.

Just now, Evil Edwina said:

You can configure this. You can cache for a number of days or indefinitely. If you elect to cache for a number of days and the content is viewed after the cache has expired, it will be re-retrieved and cached again.

Thank you sir!

4 hours ago, sobrenome said:

Download and store external images localy would be awsome. There is a plugin for Ckeditor that does it, but could not make it work.

That's essentially what it does.

I have found, however, that it doesn't always work or work everywhere it should.

Signatures and forum descriptions are two places I've seen it fail. I have a bug raised about it.

On 11/19/2015, 5:33:02, BigStamp said:

id also like to see the option to be able to cache indefinitely or for images to be imported. To help deal with the broken images. 

There could be legal ramifications with this, not sure. As a site owner your system could be uploading copyrighted images to your server instead of leaving them remotely hosted. Could be legal issues with that functionality. Of course all social sites are rampant with copyrighted images, but their software is not uploading intended remote images. Seems the onus would switch to you. Caching seems like more of a loophole, and what Google does for results pages. To a point, semantics though, and just food for thought, always seek legal advice.

On 11/20/2015, 2:18:24, Lindy said:

4.1.4 has basic image proxy caching.

Nice!

On 12/5/2015, 10:31:46, Evil Edwina said:

Sounds great! So no more broken images? What about a post rebuild or for some reason a cache rebuild and it is gone remotely? How do you make sure it is cached forever?

4 hours ago, chilihead said:

Sounds great! So no more broken images? What about a post rebuild or for some reason a cache rebuild and it is gone remotely? How do you make sure it is cached forever?

Honestly, I don't know. It's not a situation I have yet found myself in.

There is a problem with locally cached images though. They are subjected to the same rules as uploads. Of course, the end user doesn't know this and so may try to link an image, which the forum then attempts to retrieve and cache, but it fails it on the basis of file-size. It's a pretty significant oversight. I will actually raise it as a bug, now, as I cannot fathom that this is intended behaviour.

Bug raised;

20 hours ago, chilihead said:

Yes, broken images are a nightmare for my community that has more than 10 years. It's terrible for users and for SEO.

Is there a way to cache forever?

I am afraid of loosing this cache after upgrades or cache cleaning by AdminCP.

On 7.12.2015 at 5:26 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

There is an 'indefinitely' option in the caching settings, so yes you can cache forever (the default is 7 days)

Additionally, the cache cleaning (which clears the 'datastore' folder) has no effect on these cached images (which are stored in 'uploads/imageproxy')

That is awesome, no more broken images lmao............................................. 

5 minutes ago, chilihead said:

This is pretty awesome. Are the proxy images the same or lesser quality? And are they served immediately or only when the source is missing?

They are served immediately once the post has been posted. This is mainly good for websites that uses HTTPS, so in case users post non-https images it gets rewritten/hosted on https lol

2 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

Im already using them. It would be good if we could should settings for the images, like compressing, limit the resolutions etc etc

On 20.11.2015 at 8:18 PM, Lindy said:

4.1.4 has basic image proxy caching.

Some cool suggestions here.

• Ability to select a max size to cache, so if it's over.. 200kb, it will cache image.
  • Ability to compress cached images & limit res.

On 7/12/2015 at 3:20 AM, sobrenome said:

Is there a way to cache forever?

Adjust the setting to "indefinitely" and that will disable the task that clears out the cache every X days.

1 hour ago, chilihead said:

This is pretty awesome. Are the proxy images the same or lesser quality? And are they served immediately or only when the source is missing?

Just a straight download of the remote image without any reductions or compression. It basically swaps out the remote image url when posting to point to the image proxy page and then load the images through there. On that page it checks if the url is present in the database and loads the cached version, if it's not, it caches it again and loads that image. If the source is missing, it errors out like it would if the remote image itself didn't exist.

Archived