SSL and IPS Cloud Community

VizionDev

4 hours ago, laltroweb.it said:

in My Host i've put a free ssl cert thanks to startssl (setup in domain via cpanel) and, plus, i've add also cloudflare (strictssl and all security Like hsts, only https etc). all for free, A+ in ssl security test, all Works very well :)

Is this on the IPS Cloud Community -  or self hosted?

Cloud + SSL

- Requires the $70 per month Cloud plan = 840$ per year
- Requires a dedicated IP - $199 for 1 year $299 for 2 years
- Complete loss of access/refusal to support top-level domain email addresses despite the Cloud running through cPanel/WHM

Minimum cost per year if you want SSL on the cloud $1,039 USD

Self Hosted + SSL:

Minimum cost per year (including all apps) - $570.
Freedom to use any SSL cert you want. Even the free SSL from CloudFlare
Retain access to all top-level domain email address.

Both options are MANAGED.

---------------------------------------------

Enough said on this topic I think.

in My Host i've put a free ssl cert thanks to startssl (setup in domain via cpanel) and, plus, i've add also cloudflare (strictssl and all security Like hsts, only https etc). all for free, A+ in ssl security test, all Works very well :)

That is self hosted.

The issue we are speaking of is using the cloud service provided by IPS.

As self hosted you can use Strict or Full SSL with Cloudflare, Openssl (Unless strict) from your server to cloudflare, then their SSL from Cloudflare to other computers. You can use Flexible SSL which is no cert from your vps to cloudflare, but SSL from cloudflare to other computers. For me I prefer Full or Strict.

However the only way to really do this using the Cloud IPS provides without having to buy the SSL from IPS is to go Full SSl with cloudflare. Openssl is natively supported by the IPS Cloud. So you data will be encrypted from the server and onwards.

Cloudflare offers a free plan which I am using and it works very well. This also provides the use of their SSL which does give you website a full cert.

So. Free SSL, great caching and works alongside the IPS cloud. Win win

My website while self hosted is using the Cloudflare Full SSL, this uses the openssl from my server to cloudflare, then their free SSL. So everything SSL wise is free so far. Have had no issues with the security tests so far.

Feel free to test: g4x1.com

The website is still being built but using the SSL from cloudflare.

• Management

Not everything runs through cPanel/WHM on the backend, just our traditional/legacy offerings - that's an ongoing transition to full and proper cloud support. Again, we are not a web host - we're not into e-mail, etc. We can and do, on a daily basis, assist clients by arranging for the use of external e-mail services like gmail by updating or assisting with MX updates.

It's fine to compare prices, but you're comparing apples to oranges really and making a lot of assumptions. You indicate "both options are managed" - the difference is who manages it. With self-hosted, we manage the software specifically. If you have a broken or corrupt database, out of date server software, or any other similar issue - you have another level of complexity to "deal" with. What that's worth to you is something only you can answer. 

Factor in proper self hosting (and you'll never convince me a $10/mo. VPS is proper) and you can easily push the total self-hosting into the $800+/yr. range (using your base of all apps) so, sans SSL, you're really not saving oodles of money and you're not getting a turnkey solution. Again, if you're a power user that likes to run your own services and environment - no cloud is probably not for you if you can't let go of that control. Those who opt for it are generally looking for a solution; not "hosting." 

Regarding Cloudflare - I'm sorry for the confusion and frustration there. We haven't reviewed our policy on CF in a couple of years. At the time of the policy, CF required an A record to function and this isn't something we can guarantee as we continue to phase out of legacy environments to new. That coupled with some caching quirks which are likely resolved now prompted a blanket policy. We are reviewing Cloudflare offerings and will work towards support as feasible. There's no conspiracy there - from our perspective, if you can use a service such as CloudFlare (I prefer Incapsula, for the record and we do support that) that's a win-win for you and us as it lessens the resource burden on our environment and leveraging their caching mechanisms, it can lead to a faster experience for your end-users. There's no motivation against us not supporting it beyond the fact that it was a hassle and losing proposition to support previously. If that's no longer the case - great, we'll give it another look. :)

In the interim, I'd really suggest, if interested, contacting us via a ticket so we can review your specific requirements. Feel free to reach out to me personally as well if you wish. 

As a friendly reminder - there are many sites such as WebHostingTalk you can frequent to get hosting leads and prices, but we do not permit plugging self-hosts and related discussion here, sorry. Thank you for your cooperation. 

9 minutes ago, Lindy said:

Factor in proper self hosting (and you'll never convince me a $10/mo. VPS is proper) and you can easily push the total self-hosting into the $800+/yr.

Open to discussion on this one. This will always depend on your server requirements, the more you need the more it costs. I am curious on what a Proper VPS is though.

17 minutes ago, Lindy said:

we're not into e-mail, etc. We can and do, on a daily basis, assist clients by arranging for the use of external e-mail services like gmail by updating or assisting with MX updates.

I understand the difficulties of providing email (from an ISP developer point of view, trust me that I do understand). If you had to use LThrogmartin@gmail.com - Would you still feel like you're portraying a professional company and/or business.

If that's no longer the case - great, we'll give it another look.

That'd be great

Again, if you're a power user that likes to run your own services and environment

SSL and Emails, and also to mention Cron, is not really related to that of a power-user.

Factor in proper self hosting (and you'll never convince me a $10/mo. VPS is proper) and you can easily push the total self-hosting into the $800+/yr

This can't really be considered a feasible reply and is more of an opinion, I've achieved greater than what the Cloud allows with a $10 VPS all the way up to a $450 p/mo dedicated host.

$800+/yr.

This is still less than the Cloud/yr

For any cloud client that DOES want to use their top-level domain as an email to receive Commerce support tickets. Can achieve this with Mailgun and a script I wrote to pipe emails into Nexus

Still awaiting approval though. If you want it now just PM me it's a free resource.

• Management

You do not need to use gmail.com - you may use your own domain name; hence why I mentioned MX records. That said, I see you've mentioned Commerce support requests and that is something that will be improved upon shortly.

SSL has a solution within the cloud. I fully understand you feel it is too expensive of a solution, but it is a solution nonetheless and one we will revisit with more economical offerings early next year. I think we've covered the e-mail aspect and regarding crons, the beauty of our service is you should never need to worry about that. If you're in doubt and feel a cron task would work better for what you're doing, simply log a support request and we'll be happy to assist. 

To address you and Paul regarding budget VPS hosting... brace yourselves, this is going to be long-winded! I've been doing this a long, long time. Not many know that IPS had its own infrastructure for years in Washington DC. I know what power, bandwidth, physical space, staffing, licensing, etc. cost and I can tell you without a doubt, there is just no way there are no corners being cut on a $10/mo. VPS. I know because we live with the consequences of providers offering such each and every day - we track support trends and roughly 60% of our support is self-hosted related. Poor performance, misconfiguration, outdated software, etc. I think if you were to poll those who post issues on the community, you'll find 9 times out of 10, they're not an IPS CiC client. Just the other day we had a client unhappy about performance on their VPS and insisting it was a software issue. As it turned out, the client's VPS was powered by an Intel i5 processor. For those unfamiliar, that's a desktop CPU being used to power a multi-tenant virtualized server. Did it work? Kind of. Did it work well? Obviously not. Certainly, we're not the cheapest if you're comparing raw dollars and cents, but we do not cut corners, we do not oversell resources and we are the best at providing a turnkey solution for our own software. 

At the end of the day, it's all about your needs and your community. If you have a light traffic personal community - a budget VPS may serve you fine if you know how to manage it and you can scale and revisit to suit. I'm not discouraging you from self-hosting -- in fact, in your particular case, it may very well be a better option to be honest. It seems you would like that nuts and bolts control over the hosting environment and that's not what we do. I'm merely telling you that if you stick a complex dynamic application on a "cheap" environment, you will get what you pay for - we have thousands and thousands of support requests and examples of people who have finally switched to CIC and were amazed. There's only so much RAM in a physical server. Only so much disk space and it can only be sliced into so many virtual environments for users. Our community in the cloud service/infrastructure costs hundreds of thousands per year to operate and deliver, but again, we don't cut corners and never have -- it's something we're quite proud of. 

I'm not intentionally calling you guys out or being combative and I apologize if it seems that way. I don't have my sales hat on here... I have my operations hat on and when people start promoting basement priced hosting services, it really makes me cringe as I know we're going to have at least half a dozen tickets from the next unfortunate client who yields that cost-cutting advice and starts getting traffic to their community... if they even get it installed at all. There's nothing inherently wrong with VPS - virtualization is the wave of the future after all, but please, do research (such as at WHT) and get a solid solution if you insist on that route. A Ford Pinto and a Bentley may technically get you from point A to B (maybe), but there's a huge difference in quality, risks (such as how much time you'll have the hood open) and overall experience. 

Self-hosting may be more appropriate for you RADStudios, but if you would like assistance with SSL and revisiting CloudFlare on our CiC platform - please do let us know via the client area. Thank you for your business in either case. :) 

24 minutes ago, Lindy said:

If you're in doubt and feel a cron task would work better for what you're doing, simply log a support request and we'll be happy to assist. 

I have done so, I have an app whom's statistics are more accurate if accrued in a chronological fashion rather than a per-visit fashion - and as it's for presentation, accuracy is definitely a concern.

I agree with what you said with heavy consideration given to:

24 minutes ago, Lindy said:

At the end of the day, it's all about your needs and your community.

Cheers

• 5 months later...

On 25/10/2015 at 4:24 AM, Lindy said:

SSL hs a solution within the cloud. I fully understand you feel it is too expensive of a solution, but it is a solution nonetheless and one we will revisit with more economical offerings early next year.

Hello, any news about this?

Im a CIC client too and need a SSL certificate, Im waiting for a better deal for it

• 6 months later...
On 25/10/2015 at 5:54 PM, Lindy said:

SSL has a solution within the cloud. I fully understand you feel it is too expensive of a solution, but it is a solution nonetheless and one we will revisit with more economical offerings early next year.

Hi, any plans to update the pricing? I think a more reasonable solution would be $100 a year for the SSL certificate, and SSL available on the Super 65 plan (instead of Ultra 100).

SSL is almost a requirement nowadays, with Firefox moving to deprecate non-secure sites.

Regards

• Management
40 minutes ago, xrpchat_karlos said:

Hi, any plans to update the pricing? I think a more reasonable solution would be $100 a year for the SSL certificate, and SSL available on the Super 65 plan (instead of Ultra 100).

SSL is almost a requirement nowadays, with Firefox moving to deprecate non-secure sites.

Regards

Actually, yes. The site hasn't been updated yes, but we will offer turnkey SSL (except Standard 25 for which SSL is not available under any scenario) for $99 per year. If you would like to use your own certificate, there is a $5 monthly fee. Advanced packages (200, 450 and 750) have a turnkey SSL solution, free of charge. 

21 hours ago, Lindy said:

Actually, yes. The site hasn't been updated yes, but we will offer turnkey SSL (except Standard 25 for which SSL is not available under any scenario) for $99 per year. If you would like to use your own certificate, there is a $5 monthly fee. Advanced packages (200, 450 and 750) have a turnkey SSL solution, free of charge. 

Cool. And what cic plan is neccesary to get ssl per 99/year?

Archived