MariaDB 10.1 Stable

MariaDB 10.1 is stable GA

With the release of 10.1.8, MariaDB takes a next step. MariaDB 10.1 is now considered a stable release.

MariaDB 10.1 has a couple of main themes:

• Security
  • High Availability
  • Scalability

During the last few years there have been many request for more security features in MariaDB. Actually it’s a trend in general. Since open source software is getting more attractive all the time, more functionality is wanted in areas where proprietary software typically has been leading. This is especially true for databases. In addition data privacy is a very hot topic.

The big new thing in security for MariaDB 10.1 is a complete data at rest encryption solution. The encryption that now is in use originates from Google’s encryption patch. It has now been migrated into MariaDB 10.1. The solution is fairly advanced, encrypting the actual data files on disk of course, but also all other places where data touches disk like the binlog in replication. It also introduces the concept of rolling encryption keys, where keys can be set to expire at some certain intervals causing data to be re-encrypted with new keys and becoming inaccessible with the old keys.

In addition to encryption, 10.1 also includes other security aspects like password validation with which one can define a scheme, for example with the popular cracklib library, against which new passwords are validated.

On the High Availability front there is a significant change. In 5.5 and 10.0 there are separate versions of MariaDB and MariaDB Galera Cluster. In 10.1 this has changed. There is only one MariaDB 10.1. It includes the cluster capabilities and they can just be switched on whenever needed.

In regards of scalability there are multiple aspects. On one hand the parallel slave replication introduced in MariaDB 10.0 is now further improved into what is calledoptimistic parallel replication. Very much simplified, this means that any INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE can be applied in parallel on the slave (even it wasn’t on the master) which in most cases will result in a performance gain.

When it comes to replication there is another very important compatibility aspect added to 10.1. MariaDB can now be a slave to MySQL 5.6 (or greater) also when MySQL 5.6 is configured to use GTID. This has been a highly voted feature request since users wants to be able to test MariaDB as part of their MySQL deployment. When migrating to MariaDB this functionality is also essential.

Another important aspect of scalability is that 10.1 includes a lot of performance improvements to perform better on CPUs with more processing power and more cores. Also on the disk IO side there are several improvements like page compression anddefragmentation. Defragmentation is based on the patch developed first by Facebook and then further developed by Kakao Corp.

There are a lot of other new capabilities and improvements in MariaDB 10.1, like supporting new spatial reference systems and outputting explains in JSON. To get a complete list of new functionality please refer to the “What is MariaDB 10.1?” page.

Most important of all, go download MariaDB 10.1.8, install it, and start putting your workloads on it. Stay in contact with us by filing any findings that you think are wrong inJira. You can also reach the developers of MariaDB on the #maria channel on Freenode IRC or email the developers by joining the mailing list maria-developers. Do enjoy!

Next week MySQL 5.7 releases, with 1.600.000 QPS

Can you please point me to that info? Any link?

So we can check both next week :)

Maria-DB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL and by default has the same performance, so it is not possible to be worst in any case.

But keep in mind that MariaDB has many more features/optimizations than the traditional Mysql and if you compare both for performance you will see that MariDB is by far better....

Well im reading some documentations from my native language, but its a trusty source:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Oracle-kuendigt-die-fertige-Version-5-7-von-MySQL-an-2850140.html

However in order to reflect that, here some links which are also mentioned there:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/relnotes/mysql/5.7/en/
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/mysql-nutshell.html

Taken from orcale page:
https://www.oracle.com/corporate/pressrelease/mysql-5-7-ga-101915.html

Also really interesting in my opinion is the integration of JSON.

19 minutes ago, ASTRAPI said:

Maria-DB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL and by default has the same performance, so it is not possible to be worst in any case.

I dont want to start a discussion about that, i rarely worked with mariaDB yet. But the performance is not really a huge difference. The point why it has been pushed to a trend using mariadb was back in the time when orcale took over mysql and started to create each release a greater gap between the commercial and free license.
Im using the free license and have been driving good with it. I would expect that the performance impact is once again given as soon as you switch the the commercial one.

From my benchmarks i can see MariaDB to perform better at about 3% - 5% but there are many scenarios and apps and servers to test and is not possible to cover them all.

The 3% - 5% is a big number when you are running a huge forum as every millisecond counts.

But i was not able to find any benchmark or anyone in general to recommend Oracle's mysql as better or faster against MariaDB...

For me Oracle's mysql is in third place under MariaDB and under Percona.

But anyone can test and use what he want for his web app as this is my personal opinion :)

Well i guess its as said your personal point.

I wanted to try since days now creating a MySQL cluster. This will probably overhead my usage, but for me my servers are a playground to test things and learn (okay, only the test machines). Once i have done that, i may consider trying out and comparing Maria DB. 

On 24.10.2015, 14:29:44, Ilya Hoilik said:

Really itneresting seeing that compared. Also from teh comments:

Axel Schwenke said on 23 Oct 2015 at 09:24:

Oracle isn’t very talkative about their benchmark platform (someting with 40 cores and 80 threads, so probably Intel?) or what specific configuration options they used. But if you can do your own benchmarks, then do it! And if you have real world workload then this is even better than a synthetic benchmark.

Which answeres the result of this:

On 20.10.2015, 13:50:24, Michael Schneider said:

Next week MySQL 5.7 releases, with 1.600.000 QPS :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

In MariaDB 10.1, they implemented the Facebook/Kakao defragmentation patch to XtraDB / InnoDB tables.

To enable this feature we just need to add "innodb-defragment=1" to our my.cnf

I have a doubt, if we enable this feature, this will automatically defrag the tables or we still need to run the Optimize?

@ASTRAPI you know something about this? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On February 22, 2016 at 6:22 AM, RevengeFNF said:

The only config that was removed from 10.0 to 10.1 was rpl_recovery_rank which i highly doubt anyone was using it in my.cnf. The process of updating should be painless. 

I did the optimization for MariaDB 10 already using InnoDB. When I upgrade to 10.1 will I have to optimize to config file again?

Archived